Highlighted
VP of Gaming
30083 posts

Re: GT5 New Demo at BestBuy. 15 Cars, 5 Tracks, #24 Nascar

Sep 5, 2010

,FatLeadFoot wrote:

,Cobra1 wrote:

Nice rig, any info about it? _$13,000 and they won't let me take it home_ (thanks )

Seriously though, I'm going back to the show today so I'll try to get a complete write up tonight on my experience with the demo.  

On the whole though, I'm spectacularly impressed with the 2D version. 

For $13.000 it better make my coffee, clean my house among other things I won't mention here!  

Will be waiting for more "Gah" when you return.

More "Gah!"

Well, I've had a few rounds with the simulator and with the controller and time for the impressions to settle a bit.

First off and the thing that jumps out at your right away, is the demo looks much better than Prologue.  The cars and the tracks have both been stepped up graphically, and the attention to detail really stands out.  I've driven Nurburgring, Rome, Top Gear Test Track, Tokyo R246 and that bumper pool track at Spain.   I'm sure the Spain track will be a great addition once I've learned it properly. 

All of the tracks look spectacular.  It almost appears that one is looking through a window directly onto the track.  All of the cars in the demo have interiors, and that detail is pretty amazing as well.  Again, if you've seen the pictures and HD videos online, those don't really do the demo justice as far as graphics are concerned.

The cars sound like cars - finally!  The 60's Camaro sounds like a V8 and has that raw muscle sound.  NASCAR sounds like its ready to eat you alive, and the Ferrari's have their distinctive sound too.  Judging by the demo, gone are the days of every car sounding like a 4 cylinder, high revving engine.

The physics seem vastly improved and feel pretty close to the Time Trial Demo used to sponsor the GT contest earlier in the year.  Lamborghini's still don't stop or turn, so beware of that!   The Ferrari Enzo without traction control is pretty tricky to drive.  So much power is going to the rear wheels, it can be difficult to handle in corners.  On the physics side, I seemed to get the impression that gone are the days of heavy braking and turning at the same time.  Its one or the other!  Demo's can be tough to play at trade shows too, so that might be a point just to get used to.  

Damage:  I only saw a little bit while playing at Tokyo R246 with the NASCAR.  Damage did appear to affect speed as well.  I did not try to pit to see what happens as the demo only lasts 2 minutes and 30 seconds.  On most tracks, that was about a lap and a half.  The sparks that rain down do just that... rain down.  They aren't a "streak" effect as seen in some degraded video's and they look very realistic. 

I'm not sure what I've left out, but I'll try to answer any questions you guys have on the demo.  

Fastest Grandma In GT
Message 181 of 236 (13 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6687 posts

Sep 5, 2010

Thank you Cobra1 for that very clear, concise, and well written insight into the new demo. We really appreciate you sharing it with us. You covered many questions and points that I was wondering about such as the new physics and damage, and I am more eager than ever to give it a try myself. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and impressions.

photo Can-AmRacingFerrari350SWERVSig3_zps05defb05.jpg
Message 182 of 236 (13 Views)
Last Guardian
12787 posts

Sep 5, 2010

MastrGT wrote:

Best Buy stores are closed now, of course, so we will have to wait for confirmation and details.

I just checked the Canadian web site and there is nothing related to a GT5 demo there.

I'll be at BB first thing this an when they open the doors an see if in fact this rumors fact or fiction

Message 183 of 236 (13 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44354 posts

Sep 5, 2010

Was PD able to conquer the PS3's sparkle problem and the glow around poles seen in Prologue?

Message 184 of 236 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
186 posts

Sep 5, 2010

um this might help you a little.

http://www.gtplanet.net/confirmed-gran-turismo-5-playable-demo-at-best-buy/

120GB PS3 Slim to 320GB upgraded Hardrive.

" LG 55" 1080p 55LH40 LCD

Message 185 of 236 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
748 posts

Sep 5, 2010

Just wondering if there is any conformation of this being setup any place other than Oregon.  One poster was saying about Lexington SC any others yet?  If I had known about the Lexington one, I would have made a little side trip on my way to NY, as I passed within 20 or so minutes of the place, I would have checked it out.. 

RACE FAST... RACE HARD...RACE CLEAN!!
Photobucket
Message 186 of 236 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

Sep 5, 2010

Multiple reports of this, and people are still questioning it? Seems to me that those people are making Vermontster and SWERV and Cobra and the others out to be liars, even with both video and pictorial proof of the demo being real.

I don't see these people as being liars and making this up, but for all you non-believers I guess that is your perogative.

Original username: Redrkt
Original reg date: 12/30/03

Redrkt RacingTPRA ForumsCustoms Sigs
Message 187 of 236 (13 Views)
Fender Bender
3959 posts

Sep 5, 2010

redrkt wrote:

Multiple reports of this, and people are still questioning it? Seems to me that those people are making Vermontster and SWERV and Cobra and the others out to be liars, even with both video and pictorial proof of the demo being real.

I don't see these people as being liars and making this up, but for all you non-believers I guess that is your perogative.

huh? nobody is questioning it. There just not seeing at there stores YET.

Message 188 of 236 (13 Views)
Fender Bender
3209 posts

Sep 5, 2010
There's reports coming in of other Best Buys having the demo.

The demos are also popping up in Sony Styles as well.
I'm not 48 | TPRA Podcast | Follow @tunerspit on Twitter!

Wanna race online? Check out tunerspit.com today!
Message 189 of 236 (13 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30083 posts

Sep 5, 2010

,MastrGT wrote:

Was PD able to conquer the PS3's sparkle problem and the glow around poles seen in Prologue?

Yes, that halo around the cars is gone.

Fastest Grandma In GT
Message 190 of 236 (13 Views)
0 Likes