Oct 07 2012
By: racetrap First Son 17 posts

GT Academy and Canada

32 replies 928 views Edited Oct 7, 2012

I was told that the GT Academy is not open to if you are living in Canada that you must live in the United States, does any one know if this true. If so then I will not waist my time and money purchasing playstation, if this is true what a dumb thing to do !

Message 1 of 33 (928 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6687 posts

Re: GT Academy and Canada

[ Edited ]
Oct 7, 2012

This is true, and has been this way for the 2 years that GT Academy has been in North America.

By the way, you can blame the Quebec Lottery laws for this, and not Sony/ Polyphony Digital. If you want to be mad at someone, go to the source.

photo Can-AmRacingFerrari350SWERVSig3_zps05defb05.jpg
Message 2 of 33 (926 Views)
Sackboy
538 posts

Oct 7, 2012

racetrap wrote:

I was told that the GT Academy is not open to if you are living in Canada that you must live in the United States, does any one know if this true. If so then I will not waist my time and money purchasing playstation, if this is true what a dumb thing to do !

As a Canadian,  it does suck that we aren't allowed to win the Academy however, to let that be the reason for not buying a playstation has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.     

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 3 of 33 (918 Views)
Fender Bender
2967 posts

Oct 7, 2012

racetrap wrote:

To date the North American GT Acadamy's have not been open to Canadian citizens.

Many of us who are canuckleheads would like to see this change, but we also kinda understand why.

As Canadians we have seen many contests and prizes of all sorts, one thing most of them have in common is a little legal verbage somewhere in the fine print that reads "not open to residents of Quebec".

Because the provinces are able to, and do have, different laws in regards to contests and gaming, putting together a contest that works for all provinces is no easy task.

It could be as simple as a language law for Quebec requiring equal language use outside Que, but French predominance inside the province.

As far as I know there is no French version of GT5, that alone would/could keep the contest out of Quebec if that were the case.

PD/Nissan/SONY likely had a choice of including Canada without Quebec, or excluding Canada as a whole to try and be fair.

PD can not be held to blame for what the law of the land dictates, it can either legally put on a contest or it cant. So far, for all of Canada it cant, yet.

Bu it will come eventually.

Message 4 of 33 (912 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
45307 posts

Oct 7, 2012

Both the US and Canadian PlayStation offices tried to get us in last year, but they failed to do so before time ran out. Since they are still expanding the Academy franchise, I presume that they will continue trying to get us in.

Every jurisdiction has its own contest laws, even in the US, so they must be met before we can enter.

However, since you seem to be new to the PlayStation and GT, it would behoove you to get cracking at learning how to play it if you want to have even a snowball's chance in that hotplace of even coming close to winning. And if you really are that good, you still only have one shot at the top placings, so you must make it count.

Good luck!

Message 5 of 33 (906 Views)
First Son
17 posts

Oct 7, 2012

why bother it is there going to change because of me I just will not by the Sony Playstation, I will go and race real race cars

Message 6 of 33 (903 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Oct 7, 2012

Canada is part of North America any ways I will go racing in the real race cars

Message 7 of 33 (897 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
45307 posts

Oct 7, 2012

You get a PlayStation for other reasons than becoming a real race driver...

...I think. Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 33 (895 Views)
Sackboy
538 posts

Oct 7, 2012

racetrap wrote:

Canada is part of North America any ways I will go racing in the real race cars

good luck with that,  snow is on it's way.   Clearly a troll post.  Seriously, who comes to a game forum and says something like that?   I'ld post the Veruca/Wonka cliip here but it wouldn't be up long.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 9 of 33 (892 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Oct 7, 2012

Why is it dumb ? I was only buying it to enter into the GT Academy so since I can not enter I have know other reason to buy it, instead I will go and race real race cars !

Message 10 of 33 (887 Views)
0 Likes