Apr 17 2008
By: PS_FORUMS Splicer 45 posts

GRAN TURISMO™ 5 PROLOGUE: Online Connectivity Guide and Troubleshooting

311 replies 616 views Edited Apr 17, 2008
Going Online With Gran Turismo™ 5 Prologue

,The online racing mode in Gran Turismo™ 5 Prologue,offers a multitude of races and events for players of all skill levels,and cars of all classes. Up to 16 people can compete in a single race,,meaning there's always someone new to challenge. In order to keep the,online experience an optimal one for everyone, the game automatically,evaluates the quality and speed of the players’ connections and matches,them with an appropriate number of opponents, up to 16-player races for,the strongest connections, while still maintaining optimal networking,performance for everyone in each race.

There,are several ways players can optimize their network environment to,squeeze the best performance out of their connections, just like,tweaking engine settings for maximum horsepower output. Below are hints,and tips for maximizing the performance of your online connection for,the best online racing experience.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue,auto-detects your network connection configuration, displayed in the,game by assigning it a “NAT Type,” and matches you up with other,players to give you the best online race experience possible for your,connection quality.

1. Wired connection from a modem (NAT Type 1)
    When playing Gran Turismo 5 Prologue online, the best way to connect your PLAYSTATION®3 system to the internet is to plug it directly into your broadband modem.

We,know that gamers are on the cutting edge and may have multiple devices,connected to the internet at once through routers or other devices, so,in case a direct connection isn’t an option, here are a few other setup,options available to you and tweaks you can use to maximize the online,performance of the game.

2. Wired connection through a router (NAT Type 2)
    Connecting,your PLAYSTATION®3 system to a router with an Ethernet cable is another,way to take your game online if a direct connection to the modem is not,possible.
    If this applies to,you, opening UDP Port 3658 on your router/modem with UPnP enabled can,help make for a more stable online racing experience. Your router,instruction manual or manufacturer will be able to assist you with,opening ports or "Port Forwarding."
    ,  ,
  3. Wireless connection (NAT Type 2)
    ,If you want to take advantage of the PLAYSTATION®3 system’s wireless networking for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue,,just configure your router to have UDP Port 3658 open on your wireless,router/modem with UPnP enabled for a more stable online racing,experience. Your router instruction manual or manufacturer will be able,to assist you with opening ports or "Port Forwarding.”
  4. Wired or Wireless Connection through a router (NAT Type 3)
    ,If the game displays your NAT Type as NAT Type 3, there are some,settings you can tweak to improve online performance and your,connection quality with other players in the game.
    ,In the Options menu for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, change the UPnP settings to see if you can acquire a better connection. You can select Mode 1 or Mode 2.
    ,If adjusting UPnP doesn’t provide enough of a boost, then you may need,to open the network ports listed below to achieve better online,connectivity. Your router instruction manual or manufacturer will be,able to assist you with opening ports or "Port Forwarding.”
,null,,,,,,,
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue,online uses the following ports for communication with game servers. If,you experience problems connecting to online races, you may want to,check the status of these ports in your router or firewall to see if,they are being blocked or filtered. Your router instruction manual or,manufacturer will be able to assist you with opening these ports up.

TCP Ports: 80, 443, 5223, and 10070 - 10080

UDP Ports: 3478, 3479, 3658, 10070, and 50100

Message Edited by SCEA on 04-17-2008 03:52 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 312 (616 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4150 posts

Re: GRAN TURISMO™ 5 PROLOGUE: ONLINE CONNECTIVITY

Apr 16, 2008
Thanks for the port list mate, really does help.
"I pray not for a lighter load, but a stronger back to carry a heavier load" -Reuben Kee, RIP
Do not let your life be in vain, search "illuminati" on youtube. A secod holocaust is coming.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 312 (616 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1823 posts

Apr 16, 2008
Thanx for info
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 312 (616 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2426 posts

Apr 16, 2008

MasterGT wrote:
I got my replacement PS3 console today. It is in pristine condition, probably brand spanking new. It's now toast, bricked, dead as a doornail - again!

As with my original console, it's OS corrupted during the update process. It will not let me go past the User Agreement. So I phoned SCEA and this is what I was told: when doing updates, make sure the console is connected directly to the modem. Why wouldn't we be warned about this before we start updating? Hmmm, OK, so I contacted my router company to confirm this (and do some other things, such as make sure I "triggered" ports properly that SCEA told me to handle).

It was confirmed that the console should be directly wired into the modem when doing OS updates!

Let's hope I don't have to go through this console replacement process again. I might get on-line in 2 weeks time now.

Cheers,
Oh dude, that sucks!! What a major bummer. I'm sorry to hear that. Yea, as important as that little tip is, it sure doesn't seem like Sony makes an effort to make that widely known. And how are some people gonna do that? Kinda defeats the purpose of wireless connectivity.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 312 (616 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
14247 posts

Apr 16, 2008

Thanks for the info. I think  might need to open up a port for my PS3 and I hope everything goes alright with the new PS3 when you get it MasterGT.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 312 (616 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
356 posts

Apr 16, 2008

MasterGT wrote:
I got my replacement PS3 console today. It is in pristine condition, probably brand spanking new. It's now toast, bricked, dead as a doornail - again!

As with my original console, it's OS corrupted during the update process. It will not let me go past the User Agreement. So I phoned SCEA and this is what I was told: when doing updates, make sure the console is connected directly to the modem. Why wouldn't we be warned about this before we start updating? Hmmm, OK, so I contacted my router company to confirm this (and do some other things, such as make sure I "triggered" ports properly that SCEA told me to handle).

It was confirmed that the console should be directly wired into the modem when doing OS updates!

Let's hope I don't have to go through this console replacement process again. I might get on-line in 2 weeks time now.

Cheers,
Sorry to hear. Bad timing too! Mine is connected through a router and its never had a problem.
The one and only,
IMPERITOR
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 312 (616 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
479 posts

Apr 16, 2008

MasterGT wrote:

Cheers,
go figure! right at launch! i feel for u! good luck Master GT!
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 312 (616 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
40662 posts

Apr 16, 2008

Please don't fill this info thread up with "sympathy cards". Let's keep it tight.

Cheers,
Message Edited by MasterGT on 04-16-2008 07:16 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 312 (616 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
280 posts

Apr 16, 2008

I am sorry to hear that too. 

Are you speaking of a PS firmware update ? 

or of the long update that appeared when one first inserts the Prologue disc ?  

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 312 (616 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
40662 posts

Apr 16, 2008

zoup wrote:

Are you speaking of a PS firmware update ?

Yes, the OS update.

The point of posting this info here is that ports need to be opened for the Prologue and, apparently, for when the OS is updating. People who have just purchased a new console just for Prologue need to see this info! Those of you who have been updating without doing this may just be "lucky". I have the proof that things can go very, very wrong, through no fault of my own, when doing OS updates.

According to SCEA, these ports need to be triggered, for the console:

TCP = 80 => 10080
UDP = 3478 => 65535

These ranges also cover the ports for Prologue. Whether this will actually stop the OS from corrupting remains to be seen. The warning still remains, though: wire the console directly into the modem when updating your console's OS.

Cheers,
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 312 (616 Views)
0 Likes