Feb 05 2012
By: omgitsmikeyc I Only Post Everything 1178 posts

Forum Etiquette

26 replies 75 views Edited Feb 5, 2012

The purpose of this thread is to inform a select few, (whom I will have enough respect for to at least not name) to understand what this community means and is comprised of. First and foremost, this is a compilation of various issues I have seen trending with some of the newer members. This is not meant to insult anyone, but serve as a mere basis that we (as a community, group of friends and level headed adults/peers) come to expect.

#1. Do not make demands. This will be to and from when toward any members of the forum, gaming community, staff or mods. For example:"I need this car, I will only give you this car for it. I want PD/Gran Turismo staff to cater to my demands of X request. (fill in the x with any such demand, albeit cars, tracks, tweaks, or minute details not needed for this game to function." Until there is 100% stability online, the game should be left to be developed, dealt, or changed how ever PD so chooses.

#2. Please at least attempt to communicate. Understanding others will differ in opinion, education, and up bringing. At least bring some manners, respect and understanding that this is a game of recreation. We whole-heartedly want for you to enjoy the game, but having lack of respect and humanity can be tiresome/irritating.

#3. Be appreciative. If someone helps you out, donating a car that is agreed upon or completing an equal trade does not mean that person must then donate/trade every car they have. Be humble and thankful for the trade, but when one receives request after request demanding cars, that person will discredit you and avoid any future online interactions.

#4. Be patient. Stop complaining about how difficult or time consuming this game can be. Put in time, effort, and you will get positive results. If you post something or ask for something, people will reply based on your attitude, politeness and effort. You will not be rewarded every car your missing. You will not be given short cuts. And be thankful that PD is still giving out the x2 xp through daily login bonuses. Most of us have been playing for over a year that have every car, or pretty close to it. This game can be tedious and challenging, and that is why it is so popular. Games that are beaten in a week or two, like NFS or Forza, do not remain as popular long because of that very reason. We can give you pointers, Donate cars, time, and effort, but we cannot beat the game for you. There are tons of resources online on this forum. Search through them using the "search" bar to the top right of this very page. Learn how to turn over the UCD (used car dealership) to benefit obtaining the items you lack. Learn what races pay the most in a least amount of time. Learn some tuning starting points and go earn yourself an endless supply of cars that you are missing or desire.

#5. Realize we are human. I have been there. I have asked for cars. I have turned the UCD and ran thousands of races looking for cars. I have done hundreds of trades and negotiations receiving help or giving out plenty. Nothing is more frustrating trying to help someone who will not help themselves first. Do not take advantage of someone taking time out of their day to go on a limb for you.

#6. Reposting. Not using the search bar to the top right of this forum before posting an idea that may even already be on the top of the threads is infuriating. This again goes along with some previously mentioned ideas. If you post once in the Trading Exchange link, then post the same idea/request in a separate thread, many people will simply write you off and deny you the time of day on the request. There are links that can be easily found for requests and ideas, posting five thousand different posts about an idea makes it very hard for the people (PD/GT5 developers) to keep track of popular ideas because there is simply too many threads to read them all and get a grasp for what is voted for most. Not every request will be granted, but why make it that much more difficult for the people who are continuing to provide effort/support/development for something we all enjoy.

This is the end of my rant, but at least glance at the inner workings of the great people of this community/forum. Feel free to add on ideas, as I have found for some people it is easier to complain about the game, than realize what is making this game so difficult might be the very people playing it. Every one has ideas that will make this game better. Thank you for your time, I have spent clearly too much energy on this, but please take some advice to continue making this forum a great place for GT5'ers. I enjoy spending time online gaming in between a very high risk/high stress job. You are all great people. Thank you again.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 27 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
907 posts

Re: Forum Etiquette

Feb 5, 2012

All good points.

One small suggestion I would add is that the title to the post should give a hint as to the question.  For example, "I need help" will probably get fewer helpful comments than one that identifies the problem.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 27 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Feb 5, 2012

one thing that kinda gets me is when people post a discusion that is in no way a question, as a question

photo CIMG1810_zpse1fd5a4d.jpg
Message 2 of 27 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
716 posts

Feb 5, 2012

A small suggestion is to keep the topics on GT5 itself and not bring comparisons, lists, or gripes about what GT is missing, should have or should be. Leave the other game referrences out of the GT5 forum please.

Message 3 of 27 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1665 posts

Feb 5, 2012

Mikey, I like it ! Sorry I bet you've heard that, but great post. I've also noticed that the most abrasive posts come within the first 10 that a member makes, I personally frequented this forum for a month before posting. It reminds me of a saying " It is better to be silent and look like an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

I did a search last night for "corrupt data" threads and nothing came up so if I had a suggestion to us all it would be to add tags to our posts, it may help a bit.

"You are all great people. Thank you again." Agreed completely.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 27 (75 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 5, 2012

A couple reflections...

The search function does not always retrieve the desired results. Get over it, and try to help the person, not chastise him (her).

Why can some posters mis-spell with no repercussions, while others get thrown to the dogs?

I'm a past member that couldn't use my old username, for whatever reason. I don't understand the attitude towards new members and their posts.

This used to be a friendly forum. Can some body explain why it no longer is?

Let the flaming begin.

Message 5 of 27 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1974 posts

Feb 5, 2012

Great post Mikey, but a double space between paragraphs would have made it easier for us old dudes to read.

Old age is not for sissies.
Message 6 of 27 (75 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1178 posts

Feb 5, 2012

I have edited to make it more senior friendly

Photobucket
Message 8 of 27 (75 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1178 posts

Feb 5, 2012

I can handle mis-spelling, it's those that have such egregious spelling that it is literally only semi-coherent. Again, I am not a grammatical whiz either, but at least make some effort to make a clear decisive point.

As far as the friendly, I will more than admit this is a very friendly forum. Many people go out of their way to make it so, and to help those in need. It isn't per se only new members that make the above mentioned peeves, but I feel it may be easier to guide newer members to correct behavior/habits that might make other members not interested in helping. I always lend a helping hand to anyone, and continue to help those who appreciate it. I do expect to be talked to in a clear and polite way.

Again, this is not meant to chastice anyone, but help guide some who may be the most easily dealt with. As with any business dealing and personal relationship, a little effort to be personable goes a long way. Thank you for your feedback as well.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 27 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2465 posts

Feb 5, 2012

bubbajay1977 wrote:

A couple reflections...

The search function does not always retrieve the desired results. Get over it, and try to help the person, not chastise him (her).

Why can some posters mis-spell with no repercussions, while others get thrown to the dogs?

I'm a past member that couldn't use my old username, for whatever reason. I don't understand the attitude towards new members and their posts.

This used to be a friendly forum. Can some body explain why it no longer is?

Let the flaming begin.

Things being posted that encourage the burning of others, like the underlined, may have something to do with that.

Jess

"Speed only counts if you can make the next turn." Jessica King #22
GT5 Pics:
http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa195/SnakeEyesRacing/GT5/
Message 10 of 27 (75 Views)
0 Likes