Jan 27 2013
By: WS6transam96 First Son 4 posts

For those who use a controller to drive...

9 replies 299 views Edited Jan 27, 2013

Hey guys, as much as i would like to use a wheel, its not in the budget right now, but for those who do use the controller to drive, do you guys use the left stick or do you use the D pad?  Just curious!!

Also, for the guys who use a wheel, is there only one kind of wheel to use?  Im assuming a standard PS3 wheel?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (299 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2983 posts

Re: For those who use a controller to drive...

[ Edited ]
Jan 27, 2013

Left stick seems to offer much better car control than the buttons do.

Being analog, you don't have to push it all the way left or right, you can use it incrementally.   Since the buttons on the D-pad are digital they are simply ON when pressed or Off when not.

I have been practicing more with my wheel lately, but for now I'm still anywhere from 1-5 seconds/lap faster, and also more consistant with a controller.

Most Logitec Wheels (G25, G27, etc.) are fully supported.  Actually I think there are 8 different wheels that have full support for use in GT5.  If you go in the options menu you can see which ones are, they will each have their own section for customization.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (293 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

Jan 27, 2013

The official GT5 wheel is a Thrustmaster. $500+. I use a G27. A DFGT and G25 work well also.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (280 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
40662 posts

Jan 27, 2013

The DF:GT wheel never stopped being an official wheel, either. So long as you get a wheel listed inside GT, you get PD's official support of it. Any other wheel is supposed to only get DS3 support.

However, getting a good wheel for you involves personal choice. If you want certain features, such as having the PS button, then you have to pick the wheel that has them. The only thing left to do then is to save up your money for it and maybe wait for a store to put it on sale.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (271 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1033 posts

Jan 28, 2013
I don't always use a controller in GT5, but when I do I use the Left Stick for steering and the Right Stick for gas.

Keep racing my friends! :smileyhappy:

But seriously, I have used a controller for many Gran Turismo years and have always used the thumbsticks for steering and throttle / brakes.

In terms of wheels I only recently (about 3 or 4 months back) purchased my very first wheel, was originally looking at a DFGT but was lucky enough to get a G27 instead.
Photobucket

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"
"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.. "
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (264 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
872 posts

Jan 28, 2013
I have been using the DFGT wheel by Logitech. It has been a great wheel thus far. Check out the Logitech website for at times they have on and off promotional deals on both the DFGT and G27.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (255 Views)
0 Likes
Record Breaker
955 posts

Jan 28, 2013

A bit off topic:

There is an announcement by Logitech that the remote control and peripherals for console, being considered non-core business, will be sold off or discontinued.  There are no words on the fate of Logitech steering wheel series.  If you want a wheel at an affordable price, this may be a good time to pick one up (Other brands steering wheels are a bit more expensive).  However, the uncertainty will be on the support side of the products. 

You will find a discussion thread on GTPlanets on this specific topic as well:

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?s=6a30045c315eaf7ada4a380c9781ebc0&t=272735

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (222 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Jan 28, 2013

I'd probably recommend trying to pick up a DFGT, a nice used one might not hurt the piggy bank too much. While the G27 and G25 are nice, they are almost twice the price, and you still read about clutch issues in the game that have never been adequately addressed. DFGT offers an almost equivalent steering ability (bit less smooth, but what you don't know, you don't miss!) and pretty good reliability.

When Logitech discontinue the wheels, used prices will soar, and who knows what will be adopted by PD as an affordable alternative. In your shoes, I'd look around your room, and see if there's something you don't use much that you could sell, and help the DFGT purchase out. Snooze, and you might lose...

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2916 posts

Jan 28, 2013
Well, back on topic now.

I use a DS3 and switched to the sticks on GT4 I believe. I was hesitant at first until I noticed it was better. I do still use d-pad on the Tony Hawk Pro Skater games though.

I would love to use a DFGT but it hasent been in the budget since I havent worked in so long (health, not lazy :smileyhappy: )
Dirty_Harry44
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (187 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 28, 2013
Keep practicing the wheel. It takes a few weeks to get used to it. But if you go back and forth between the two, the wheel will seem like a handicap. After 3 months, I am now faster on the wheel and do not burn up my tires as fast.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (178 Views)
0 Likes