Sackboy
538 posts

Re: Final verdict of a race game fan for GT5

Mar 10, 2011

I didn't play RR7, but I have played GTR, GTR2, Legends, Rfactor and a few others for PC with my G25.  Turismo is the closest thing to a PC racing sim on console.  Little bit confused about the issues raised by op.  This is the only game I bother with on console for racing as no other console game even comes close to PC sim feedback except Turismo, and it still has a ways to go however probably won't get that powerfull because of all the little people that play as it would cause serious injuries.  It's funny  op compaired turismo to all those arcade racers though.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 41 of 47 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Mar 10, 2011

dubversion wrote:

About my racing experience...

i don't have any racing experience, too scared to wreck my supercharged BMW... But i do know a bit about tuning and this is the part that is disappointing. The ability to tune is of course fantastic, but the implementation of the algorithms for the performance gains by various tuning parts are an abolute joke. And where's the water/methanol kits ? Where's the nitrous ? What happend to camshafts, pistons , rods, lowering compression and turbo boost control ?

they changed it with this generation of GT games to be the stages of upgrades... cams etc... are included in that.  You shouldn't have to install cams separately from other engine mods IMO.

also, Nitros is a mod that very few race cars use and is not legal in most racing...  it was a very cheap addition to GT4 and I'm  glad it is gone.

GT doesn't really have the reputation of being "ricey", which NOS is most definitely ricey... I know that sounds like a strange thing to say about a japanese game, but it's true.  Notice the body kits and wings aren't that ricey either...

they got the style of the game down pretty good IMO.  Somethings could be better of course... there are things  Idislike about every game I play.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 42 of 47 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
899 posts

Mar 10, 2011

exXboxFan wrote:

dubversion wrote:

About my racing experience...

. And where's the water/methanol kits ? Where's the nitrous ? What happend to camshafts, pistons , rods, lowering compression and turbo boost control ?

they changed it with this generation of GT games to be the stages of upgrades... cams etc... are included in that.  You shouldn't have to install cams separately from other engine mods IMO.

also, Nitros is a mod that very few race cars use and is not legal in most racing...  it was a very cheap addition to GT4 and I'm  glad it is gone.

GT doesn't really have the reputation of being "ricey", which NOS is most definitely ricey... I know that sounds like a strange thing to say about a japanese game, but it's true.  Notice the body kits and wings aren't that ricey either...

Hi ExxboxFan,

you and others have explained it well, it's indeed the engine stage upgrades. It's not very realistic, because a piston change will not give you more power; you'll definately need a retune because your turbo/charger can increase the boost... But anyways, i understand the stages there then. Thank you all for making that point !

About nitrous: it may not be used a lot in races (though there's a "formula 1 like race called "a1" , which does feature nitrous shots as the rest of the cars are like nascar: the same in power and weight. So the nitrous shots give you the edge and make it easier to overtake; what makes it extra interesting is that you have limited shots to your disposal each race. I actually enjoyed it better than formula 1 as overtaking is rare; it's all about pitlane stategy there (and engine power).

nitrous notoriously blows up engines; the heat build tremendously. Nonetheless, a well installed nitrous tune give you instant 50 - 100 BHP extra for a few seconds. And the installation is failry cheap.

About ricing: what's in a name... To me, ricing means building a car that looks fast but in fact isn't. Lots of "snow shovels" and decals... In that light, nitrous is the opposite of ricing: it gives a huge boost in power and you can't see anything.

Greetings,

dub

RR7 is the best racing game out there (and the first for PS3, go figure)
Namco has no customer service
GTA 4 is a disappointment -great potentional but the controls are awful; replay is tedious
CODmw2 is the best game i've played on PS3 so far
GRiD would be great, but i can't invite PSN buddies ! How lame can it get ?
Treyarch > Infirnity Ward when it comes to designing online game hosting for COD. CODW@W works better for me than CODmw2 online.
Sony and online, in game chatting sucks major balls
Message 43 of 47 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
349 posts

Mar 10, 2011

just wanted to clarify i'm a bra expert. the HUGE problem is when it doesn't come off fast enough.

Message 44 of 47 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
53 posts

Mar 10, 2011

dubversion wrote:

you and others have explained it well, it's indeed the engine stage upgrades. It's not very realistic, because a piston change will not give you more power; you'll definately need a retune because your turbo/charger can increase the boost... But anyways, i understand the stages there then. Thank you all for making that point !

I agree that on the surfuce it is not very realistic, however there is a reason.  They HAD to simplify it, because most gamers are not mechanics and the fine details are beyond their comprehension and would confuse them.  This is standard simplification used in most video games.

Message 45 of 47 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
870 posts

Mar 11, 2011

Agree with you OP, great points echoed by many other fans.  I traded in FM3 last month to try an force me to get my racing fix from GT5, but still can't find any motivation to continue.  A good episode of supercar challenge could entice me to get back on for some time trials, but other than that GT5 is boring to me.  It is the best Time Trial simulator though, as long as you don't wreck.

Come on Sony catch up online already, I'll pay you $4 a month to make it better, and ASM is for wussy drivers.
Message 46 of 47 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5115 posts

Mar 11, 2011

I guess I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I bought a 'Box' and FM3 to hold me over until GT5 came out. Since GT5's release day, my 'Box' & FM3 have done nothing but collect dust. I don't even think my PS3 has been turned off yet. LOL The only thing I see in the near future that might make me hit the eject button on my PS3 would be the new NASCAR game that's coming out.

Message 47 of 47 (40 Views)
0 Likes