Mar 10 2011
By: dubversion Wastelander 899 posts

Final verdict of a race game fan for GT5

46 replies 59 views Edited Mar 10, 2011

Hi there !

Having been a fan of race games since the early days of the Atari 2600 back in the early 80's, and having played PC based games for a while, i returned to console games since the PS3 came out, hoping that the endless cheating of the PC world would stop and accepting glitch cheats as part of gaming.

On the PS3, i've played a lot of RR7, a game i've enjoyed for countless hours, and later i gave NFS ProStreet my full attention. Midnight Club LA followed and of course also the two version of MotorStorm. I also have Dirt and GRID but didn't enjoy either one as much, most likely because i don't really care so much for rally racing; i love my tracks!

Anyways, i had, as most of you, my hopes up for GT5. If a game has been developed for such a long time, it's normal to expect the best race game so far for the PS3.

I've played it to be A-spec to level 28 and B-spec 20 level 26. I'm only left to do the Gran Turismo championship and all the endurance races (which i will never ever do, because my PS3 got overheated playing GT5 a few weeks ago).

Here's what i like:

- Race license and trophies. Nicely done. To get gold really means to be inch perfect. But some bronze are too easy or too hard.

- Definately features enough cars, although i don't understand why i can drive a Citroen 2CV ? And where's my legenday BMW M1 ? Also seems like the Japanese cars by far outnumber the US cars and both of them totally outdue the european cars. Who needs 28 version of the Mitsubishi Lancer or the Skyline ? there's no balance and frankly disappointing.

- Enough race tracks with nice details. Good job, but why is the load time so long ?

- Different weather conditions. Nice ! Shame it's not used (except 2 races in the A or B spec races). I have no words for that.

- The ability to tune the car. But since in real life i have a serious interest in car tuning, i just can't stand the fact that they got the power enhancements all wrong for almost all parts. It shows that the makers have no clue about real car tuning. And where's the nitrous addition ? A turbo working on 15 PSI gives you more than 50% power gain if done right. And if i install a turbo, why don't i hear my waste gate ? Why doesn't it alter the sound ? What about camshaft replacements ? piston replacements ? And only in a programmer's mind can you get the power enhancements you get in this game from changing your exhaust system. It's so out of wack, i can't even begin to explain this.

- Time attack seems to be difficult to cheat with.

My dislikes:

- What happened to balancing the cars during a race ? If i tune my car, all races, except the Gran Turismo race can be won without even knowing the track. Just get a car with enough horses and you get win the event while rading a magazine.

- The lack of research into what can be tuned in the real car and what not. BMW M3 have both after market superchargers and turbo's, but not in this game !

- Why can't i race modify more cars ? If they hadn't published a list online, good luck finding the 25 cars amongst the 1000 featured. Rediculous !

- The B-spec game takes rediculously long. Why so many laps ? Why can't i speed up ? Total lack of balance once again

- Why are cars so expensive ? I've been playing this game for a fair amount of time now over the last 3 months, but to get the 10.000.000 needed for a Ferarri F10 is outrageous. Translating the credits into game time is just unheard of. The developers should really think about what credits represent in playtime. and then the 24H race gets you - besides a busted PS3 from overheating a whole 100.000 credits. Woohoo ! So looking forward to racing the endurance races...NOT !

- Engine sounds. Simply a joke. Change the clutch and a wine is introduced, making all cars sound the same.

- Driving Simulation ? Let's call this an arcade game at best.

- Damage model non existing.

- Engine overhaul is not necessary, but absurdly expensive. Why even bother.

- Animation during oil change and race modification. Why is it sped up ? Why try to be funny here ? Out of balance yet again.

- Menus are way way way too slow. there's nothing to like about the menus and the way to get to your information. The garage is just a list of your cars, with the wrong info and search on year - which is handy to know for some races - is not possible. think before you implement !

- Online gaming is slow and awkward. Seems like this was a rush job and should be completely re-implemented.

So what's left then of this game ?

Frankly not much. The lack of balance in literally EVERY SINGLE part of this game is remarkable. The lack of repect for real time tuning is a disgrace.

Yes, you can enjoy the tracks and trying to get a good time attack with this game.

Bottom line

I cannot recommend this game to anyone, as the lack of balance is evident and painful. Such a shame because i think we all agree this game has A LOT of potental. But i don't be around for another 5 years to wait for GT6. What a shame.

Greetings,

Dub

RR7 is the best racing game out there (and the first for PS3, go figure)
Namco has no customer service
GTA 4 is a disappointment -great potentional but the controls are awful; replay is tedious
CODmw2 is the best game i've played on PS3 so far
GRiD would be great, but i can't invite PSN buddies ! How lame can it get ?
Treyarch > Infirnity Ward when it comes to designing online game hosting for COD. CODW@W works better for me than CODmw2 online.
Sony and online, in game chatting sucks major balls
Message 1 of 47 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2331 posts

Re: Final verdict of a race game fan for GT5

Mar 10, 2011

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I agree with some of what you've said, but none of it is a deal breaker to me.

I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. Can't say I've been a roadway simulation fan for years, but as one who has flown a variety of simulators since the early 1980s on platforms from PC to MAC to more serious systems,  I am no stranger to simulations, and as far as I'm concerned this game is has the potential to be the roadway equivalent to MS flight, although it's not quite as mature as that product line. (In fact, I am hoping they will consider that as a long term goal, since real world topographical and road info is very available)

- There's a distinct difference between slow & deliberate and deliberately slow -
Message 2 of 47 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8615 posts

Mar 10, 2011

same gripes as everyone else...

there are dozens of lancers because they are all drastically different, well most of them anyways... it's japanese automotive history, and their counterparts in your beloved euro cars cost two to three times as much and still lose to them.  I owned an evo 8 and it was a glorious machine to drive.  My first car collection goal in this game was to own them all, and now I have.  On one of the AWD seasonal events I tried to beat it with the Evo 1, 2, 3, and so on, until I could SEE the evolution in their namesake.

Now the skylines on the other hand, well I'm not a huge fan, so I don't collect them.  But for those who are, I can only imagine the pure joy of collecting them all, something impossible in real life.  In no way are the variations between the models merely a "J" or a "C" or a "GTR" placed on the badge.  There is so much more done to them in the minutia that each car does drive differently and have its own characteristics...  Because you don't appreciate it doesn't mean there aren't millions who do.  The world's car culture is much like our national and ethnic cultures, very diverse.  You can't go getting upset because someone from another culture didn't pander to yours to the level you egocentrically expected.

japanese are a proud and perfectionist people...

they take some consideration into what YOU want in the game, but they didn't give you everything you expected... boo hoo

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna (FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only)
GT Saturdays Event Thread
Ex's Racing VideosSupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 3 of 47 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7246 posts

Mar 10, 2011

aggreeded

energy
Message 4 of 47 (59 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3754 posts

Mar 10, 2011

Sometimes the experts make the worst critics as they assume everybody has the same criteria for a great game.  @dubversion opinions may be perfectly valid to some, but to this casual gamer whose been around a while, but stumbled across GT5 and found something that is now taking up way too much of his time, I think it's a great game and would certainly recommend it.  You've just got to focus on the parts you like best.

Many people would miss having a lot of fun if they didn't buy a game based on only those types of reviews.

The trouble with having really high expectations is that you are too easily dissapointed.

Message 5 of 47 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
349 posts

Mar 10, 2011

I agree with some of that. I don't find the menu system any trouble at all. I still don't understand why people hate it so much. And GT5 is a bazillion times better than ProStreet. Seriously.

Message 6 of 47 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
405 posts

Mar 10, 2011

Name a better sim racer....

Photobucket
Message 7 of 47 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
165 posts

Mar 10, 2011

agree with almost all of your points, if not all.. but i would still recommend it to anyone, and i still do play it a lot.

in particular i agree with the car selection problem.. i would like to have every car in the game, and although i only have around 300 cars now.. half of them are worthless non-racing Japanese cars, mostly the same model repeated over and over.  hell, they even have models that are exactly the same (same year, same power, same weight, ecc ecc) but just have a different name (like the 350z / 300zx in european name, = fairlady in Japanese).

i'm not sure if this is due to licensing on brands, but for sure the result for me is that by now i just puke when i see cars like skyline, 300zx, or lancer.  so if they were planning on brainwashing me into liking those cars, they failed- opposite result.

and please, no need to argue that same models of different years do have a slight difference or more than slight difference... that's true for any car type.  you could include just in the same way countless european cars... for example the lancia delta, perhaps The most iconic rally car ever existed... top of its class for 10 years, and what do we get in game? 1 or 2 rally models, and 1 road model.  oh wait, they put like 10 models of the fiat 500... what for? 1 is enough, not like anyone uses that if not for the fun of having it in their garage.

besides that, the Japanese cars seem to get much better lap times in general, and the non-racing cars are often much more modifiable than european ones.

i love this game but i always have this on the back of my head when i play, and it is making me dislike more and more all japanese cars.

my garage: http://www.mygranturismo.net/19932
Message 8 of 47 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
899 posts

Mar 10, 2011

Perhaps ProStreet gave me more joy in the fact that many more races were a challenge to win, but i could do without the micro glitches.

Potentially GT5 can be the best race sim game for the PS3, but i find it so out of balance in almost every aspect of the game, that i just can't live with it.

Name we a race - except the Gran Turismo challenge - that was difficult ? The only difficult one is the classic car challenge, but only because to get a good classic race car is extremely expensive. Getting the toyota via the B-spec challenge, then all of a sudden the race is peanuts.

Balance is the utmost importance of a race game. If it's too easy to win, why bother playing ? I played it for hours - i mean im level 28 A spec and lebvel 26 B spec, i did all but the Gran Turismo challenges. But absolutely no race - given the right car, was even difficult. And half the time i didn't even know the track. That is the bottom line why i do not recommend the game.

Af far as japanese cars go, it's great that the game features so many models. But why skip the european cars ? Why are there 28 different imprezas and only 12 BMW's in total ? Clearly the game was intended for the Japanese market and judging from the amount of nascar cars (Dodge en Chevy) i think also the American market. But the european car market and history is definatelly underrated in the game . Why ?

Anyways, i just expressed my honest opinion and of course no one has to agree with even one point i make. But saying this game is super and meets the expectation of a game with such a history and such a lengthy development means you're absolutely blind for the blatently obvious unbalance all over.

Greetings,

Dub

GTA 4 is a disappointment -great potentional but the controls are awful; replay is tedious
Treyarch > Infirnity Ward when it comes to designing online game hosting for COD. CODW@W works better for me than CODmw2 online.
Message 9 of 47 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
899 posts

Mar 10, 2011

About the menu....

Why is there such an incredible load time between predominantly textual screen on a playstation 3, probably the fastest console out there ? Why is the menu so awkward ? Why do i have to click 4 times before the turbo charger is bought and installed ? Why do i have to go to a different screen for items that i bought but not attach to any car yet ? Why can't i search by year in my garage ? Why can't i buy some tires when i went to pick a race, why do i have to go to tuning (i times it, it takes more than 60 seconds !!!) I can go on and on. I think hands down this game has the worst menu of all game in a long while...

Message 10 of 47 (59 Views)
0 Likes