Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Re: Driving Force GT pedal problem

Jan 25, 2013

I do that in the summer, but my basement is too cold for bare feet at the moment.  my hands can barely stand it!

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 61 of 82 (400 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
45107 posts

Jan 26, 2013

exXboxFan wrote:

I do that in the summer, but my basement is too cold for bare feet at the moment.  my hands can barely stand it!

Then turn up the foot vent heater! Smiley Very Happy

Message 62 of 82 (387 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Jan 26, 2013

I'm mostly a socks guy... In Florida, I have the opposite problem - commando feet sweat a bit, and make the pedal a bit slipperier! I admit, you get the best tactile response, but either your feet stick, or slide, neither a good thing.

And nobody drives my DFGT in shoes. Ever!

Message 63 of 82 (375 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1141 posts

Jan 26, 2013

dmcallis wrote:
I drive naked. Well barefoot anyway. Smiley Tongue

ungphlllllp........  I just threw up in my mouth Smiley Frustrated   LOL waaay TMI.

aka smokeethetire
Message 64 of 82 (361 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
558 posts

Feb 23, 2014

Destinkeys wrote:

I think there are a few things I would do now I know better about helping my pedals' longevity...

First thing would be to bag them every time after use! I have to confess, other than the odd run over with a vacuum cleaner, for about the first three years or so, I just left them out. Knowing more about pot wear and dirt, I wish I had done what I do now - I have a plastic bag I slip over them with a drawstring (small garbage bag) to keep out the dust in between use.

Then, I might have tried the squeegeeball trick, to perhaps cushion the pedal a bit as I slammed my brakes on and off. Not sure if this would make a difference, but worth a try!

But I will try the caulking compound trick if or when my brakes get so bad that even careful calibration no longer works. Here's hoping you try these preventative things on your new pedals, and you have a much longer trouble-free use out of yours!

Finally got around to fixing my DFGT by opening up the base and blasting all the debris out with compressed air. From what I read here, this fix will only be temporary, but I'll take it for now!

Destinkeys, are you still bagging your pedals, and is this sufficient to keep dust and hair out? How often are you forced to go back in for further cleaning? And can anyone share any new maintenance tips that weren't already covered in this thread?

Message 65 of 82 (267 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
45107 posts

Feb 23, 2014

Over time, the sensor's internal contacts get corroded.

Use a contact cleaner spray when you have the case opened. Work the pedals back and forth, to help the cleaning process. You can replace the sensors with better quality ones, but I have never had to do that or cut the case, etc. Just clean them regularly and keep them moving.

Message 66 of 82 (263 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Feb 23, 2014

darkc0cteau wrote:

Destinkeys wrote:

I think there are a few things I would do now I know better about helping my pedals' longevity...

First thing would be to bag them every time after use! I have to confess, other than the odd run over with a vacuum cleaner, for about the first three years or so, I just left them out. Knowing more about pot wear and dirt, I wish I had done what I do now - I have a plastic bag I slip over them with a drawstring (small garbage bag) to keep out the dust in between use.

Then, I might have tried the squeegeeball trick, to perhaps cushion the pedal a bit as I slammed my brakes on and off. Not sure if this would make a difference, but worth a try!

But I will try the caulking compound trick if or when my brakes get so bad that even careful calibration no longer works. Here's hoping you try these preventative things on your new pedals, and you have a much longer trouble-free use out of yours!

Finally got around to fixing my DFGT by opening up the base and blasting all the debris out with compressed air. From what I read here, this fix will only be temporary, but I'll take it for now!

Destinkeys, are you still bagging your pedals, and is this sufficient to keep dust and hair out? How often are you forced to go back in for further cleaning? And can anyone share any new maintenance tips that weren't already covered in this thread?

Strangely enough, although I had quite a bit of a persistent problem about a year ago, since my last opening and cleaning of the pots (compressed air and compressed contact cleaner), the problem has not reappeared. Seems I got it right, and the bagging helps stop it coming back.

The thing was, I started the cleaning process almost immediately the problem appeared, so perhaps catching it early helped it from reappearing later on. Touch wood!

I'm definitely trying to baby them now (no shoes, ever!), as we have no idea how long the PS4 GT game is going to take, or whether PD will continue to fully support Logitech wheels for it, or even if Logitech will be making wheels by then. Some kind of roadmap would be great... I really hope my DFGT lasts until the dust has settled (hopefully, not in my pots!), but I'm rather dreading what it may cost me to get a decent wheel for the PS4 GT. The DFGT is quite a unique wheel... pretty decent construction (other than the pedals) at a VERY affordable price. I sure hope I'm not going to HAVE to spring for a $300-400 wheel after I have to pay that much for the PS4 as well!

I would be happy to buy a new DFGT now to keep in readiness for GT7, if only PD would commit to it and say they will FULLY support it in GT7/PS4, but that would involve communication from PD to their customers, something apparently taboo over there... Smiley Sad

Message 67 of 82 (251 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
558 posts

Feb 23, 2014

Thanks guys!

I love this wheel too and would be pleased to see a similarly affordable replacement from Logitech. I'm quite happy with the "flappy panel" gear shifters on the wheel and would rather not use a stick. The DFGT's fusion with GT make it the perfect accessory. I didn't realize there was a question of PD and Logitech continuing their relationship... all the more reason to keep this wheel alive.

I'll be sure to have some contact cleaner on hand next time I'm playing mechanic. Smiley Happy

Message 68 of 82 (236 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
558 posts

Feb 27, 2014

So before I fixed my wheel I'd contacted Logitech. They pumped me for more and more info and had me test the wheel with other games I own. When I reported that it was working fine in 2 of my F1 games they said it sounded like the issue was with Gran Turismo. I explained to them that I thought the F1 games just had more of a braking dead zone so it would take a few more weeks or months of deterioration of the pedals before the problem showed up there, the responses from Logitech just petered out and I figured that was that.

But they wrote back this week saying if I'm still under warranty, they'd be willing to, and I quote, process a replacement.

I should do it, right? My concern is that my wheel is perfect now and I don't want them to, for instance, send me a refurbished wheel. Now if I get to keep this one, that would be great... but they did say "replacement."

I dunno, what would you cats do?

Message 69 of 82 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Feb 27, 2014

I'd suggest to them that you only want to replace the pedals... See if they will swap those out only (or at least ask them if they will replace with new, not refurbished - if so, get the pedal and wheels!)

Message 70 of 82 (208 Views)
0 Likes