MVP Support
44891 posts

Re: Driving Force GT pedal problem

Jan 17, 2013

Of all of the wheels I've followed, the Pro and DF:GT probably have the most trouble with this particular issue, but it is not the only one. The G25 has also been known to have it, including mine, too.

You seem to think the deadzone is / might be for drivers who press against the brake while driving. Keep in mind that the GT's pedals have fairly light springs, so you may experience this if you rest your feet on the brake pedal using left-foot braking. The G25 has stronger springs, so that is certainly not an issue with these pedals. If you can replace your springs with stronger ones, or maybe put a suitable sponge in there, you should be able to eliminate that problem.

Message 41 of 82 (509 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 17, 2013

the problem seems to be with the cheap plastic, among other design issues inside the pedal housing.

loose connections - check

plastic that compresses as you press the pedals - check

openings that let in hair and dust - check

potentiometer bracket moves when pedal pressed firmly - check

BTW guys, I just got my new (used) pedals in the mail and they work great so far.  Hopefully that will be another year of DFGT use for me.  then I'm definitely upgrading to something much more durable.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 42 of 82 (499 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1137 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 17, 2013

exXboxFan wrote:

the problem seems to be with the cheap plastic, among other design issues inside the pedal housing.

BTW guys, I just got my new (used) pedals in the mail and they work great so far.  Hopefully that will be another year of DFGT use for me.  then I'm definitely upgrading to something much more durable.

I believe this^^ is the main problem. I have taken apart my DFGT 3 times.... the first time I stretched the springs, this worked for a day or so.......The second time I stretched springs again and checked the wires, cleaned it out and greased it.....this worked for a week or so. The third time I put dum dum (rubber type caulk) inside the potentiometer bracket and it has worked ever since....its been 8 months...still working. Luck? you decide.

aka smokeethetire
Message 43 of 82 (477 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 18, 2013

I use left foot braking but don't seem to find myself having any issue with brake drag from that in GT5.

I am still confused... whether the deadzone parameter on other games is for foot dragging, or for bad pot elimination, for some reason PD choose to not have it at all. So, EITHER need is ignored. I still don't get why this simple code isn't a good thing for PD to include... for whatever reason you want to give for it being on other games.

@Lordmarshal... do you know of anywhere where pictures of how to caulk the pot bracket are posted. I have done a few searches, and so far nothing has come up with this fix. I've seen sponges, bungies, pot cleaning and replacement shots, but nothing about caulking up the pot bracket. I'd appreciate a visual 'how-to' if one exists.

And back to @all... Look, I understand that some of you feel PD shouldn't get involved in this. But let's be pragmatic, for once. If a couple of lines of simple code that every other racing game seems to not find repugnant to write solves a well known issue, why is it so uncompromisingly defended that PD shouldn't do anything about this..? I guess, once again, I come up against this wall of 'PD is right, no matter what they do' from a few dedicated players. Well, sorry, but I am probably just as dedicated a player of this game as any here, but somehow I don't feel this call to arms to defend every single decision PD makes, for good or bad. Sometimes, some of the things they do leave me wondering what the hell they DO think, and sometimes whether they care at all.

I mean, in the big picture, what exactly is so wrong about a deadzone in the steering wheel options? Why are you all so adamant that PD not fix this?

Message 44 of 82 (467 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1034 posts

Jan 18, 2013
What other / how many PS3 or console specific games actually have the dead zone calibration option?

Maybe I missed something along this line mentioned earlier in the thread but I'm genuinely curious as I've never noticed it on games outside of the PC environment, that might be because I've only had a wheel for the last few months and simply never looked.
Photobucket

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"
"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.. "
Message 45 of 82 (457 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44891 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 18, 2013

I hardly ever hear about deadzones anymore. There used to be some PS2 sims or games that had it, but as I mentioned above, maybe they needed it. Today's sims have pretty good wheel and pedal simulation.

The only reason I can see that it is being discussed here and now is as a fix for a mechanical problem, for which it was never intended. It's a non-issue, as far as I can see.

Message 46 of 82 (447 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4739 posts

Jan 18, 2013

Destinkeys wrote:

And back to @all... Look, I understand that some of you feel PD shouldn't get involved in this. But let's be pragmatic, for once. If a couple of lines of simple code that every other racing game seems to not find repugnant to write solves a well known issue, why is it so uncompromisingly defended that PD shouldn't do anything about this..? I guess, once again, I come up against this wall of 'PD is right, no matter what they do' from a few dedicated players. Well, sorry, but I am probably just as dedicated a player of this game as any here, but somehow I don't feel this call to arms to defend every single decision PD makes, for good or bad. Sometimes, some of the things they do leave me wondering what the hell they DO think, and sometimes whether they care at all.

I mean, in the big picture, what exactly is so wrong about a deadzone in the steering wheel options? Why are you all so adamant that PD not fix this?

PD and/or others find this "repugnant"?   Overstating the case a bit, isn't it?

Speaking of overstating.........To suggest that there is a wall of "'PD is right, no matter what they do' is ridiculous given what I've seen some of these people write.  Perhaps it's just a reaction based on some people's perception that you say "'PD is wrong, no matter what they do'.   That makes as little sense doesn't it?   Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if some people concluded that there is a wall of "Destinkeys is right, no matter what you say" in this forum.  Maybe that's not fair, but sadly that perception is also out there. 

Pedal to the metal, or plastic in this case!

Message 47 of 82 (422 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 18, 2013

Lordmarshal wrote:

exXboxFan wrote:

I believe this^^ is the main problem. I have taken apart my DFGT 3 times.... the first time I stretched the springs, this worked for a day or so.......The second time I stretched springs again and checked the wires, cleaned it out and greased it.....this worked for a week or so. The third time I put dum dum (rubber type caulk) inside the potentiometer bracket and it has worked ever since....its been 8 months...still working. Luck? you decide.

hmm that might be a viable option for when this new one eventually starts to have issues.  But yea if you have pictures or could type up more of a "how to" that would be awesome!

Destin, we all use left foot braking I think and no we are not dragging our feet.

Also, not constantly blaming everything we experience in life on PD does not mean we think they are flawless...

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 48 of 82 (392 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1137 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 19, 2013

exXboxFan wrote:

Lordmarshal wrote:

exXboxFan wrote:

hmm that might be a viable option for when this new one eventually starts to have issues.  But yea if you have pictures or could type up more of a "how to" that would be awesome!

Destin, we all use left foot braking I think and no we are not dragging our feet.

Also, not constantly blaming everything we experience in life on PD does not mean we think they are flawless...

Sorry.... I wasnt thinking at the time to take pics but its pretty easy.  dum dum(dont know official name) is a type of caulking that molds like play-doh except it never hardens....like gum.  remove potentiometers from brackets and push the caulk inside.  You dont need much...just enough to keep them snug and still. make sure they sit in the position they are supposed to be in....dont overfill bracket gap.    would have posted sooner but I couldnt log in yesterday.

aka smokeethetire
Message 49 of 82 (354 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 21, 2013

From my personal gaming, Shift1 and Shift2 both had full deadzone and linearity adjustments, and  F1 2012 has them too. So... not exactly minor releases. Anyone know whether Forza has them? I would be surprised if not.

One thing that has partially cured my issues is being VERY methodical about startup calibration. I still get a bit of drag from time to time if I do this wrong... Be very sure to NOT touch your pedals after startup until you go out on track the first time. Then, as you leave the pits (do NOT touch the pedals before) firmly and quickly depress the brake pedal fully, and then release quickly, but not so suddenly that the pedal 'bounces'. THEN do the same with the accelerator pedal. I find, if I do the accelerator pedal FIRST, I get drag, but as long as I calibrate the brake first, carefully, all is usually well. If this doesn't work out (say you slip, or don't do it right), simply unplug the pedals, reconnect, and then repeat a second time.

Sometimes, if my pedals are overdue for a cleaning, this might take me a few tries, but usually one of them will work...

Hope this helps.

I'd still like to see a few photos of the dumdum pot brace if you ever take your pedals apart again.

Message 50 of 82 (329 Views)
0 Likes