Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Re: Downforce - flawed?  Hard tyres vs. Soft tyres- flawed too?

Feb 8, 2011

lu7ciano wrote:

As it is now, it's soft tyres+max downforce on any track with any car... that doesn't leave any room for setup choice for these 2 variables.

I agree, but I feel that there are two exceptions to those rules:

1.  Maximum downforce is not necessarily needed on oval tracks (e.g. Indy 500) where top speed is more important and you don't really need great cornering ability.  It won't hurt you that much either (which is what this whole thread is about), but if you are using a similar car to the competition it may help.

2.  I always use Racing-Hard tires on my FGT.  I tried using Racing-Soft and I got a lot of tire spin and loss of traction when accelerating.  Plus, the FGT handles and corners so well already that there really isn't a disadvantage to using Racing-Hards.  You could stop the tire spin and loss of traction with the Traction Control setting, but I prefer to race without those settings.

Message 11 of 44 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Re: Downforce - flawed? Hard tyres vs. Soft tyres- flawed too?

Feb 8, 2011

to all, are your observations on whether GT5 is flawed based on comparisons with real life racing or just speculation that it doesn't "seem" right?  not bashing, just wondering where you get your comparison from...

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 12 of 44 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Feb 8, 2011

exXboxFan wrote:

to all, are your observations on whether GT5 is flawed based on comparisons with real life racing or just speculation that it doesn't "seem" right?  not bashing, just wondering where you get your comparison from...

Can't speak for the OP, but I am comparing it to previous GT games (I have played all extensively except for the original) and that they don't "seem" right.  I can't remember how big of an impact downforce had on top speed in the previous games, but I definitely remember a much bigger difference between the longevity of Hard vs. Soft tires.

Message 13 of 44 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
604 posts

Feb 8, 2011

I can go 60 MPH faster by turning the downforce to minimum in the x1 as opposed to max.

Your hard tires are probably wearing out at the same rate because you're still driving them as if they are softs.  Everytime they slide and spin they wear out quicker.

Photobucket
Message 14 of 44 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Feb 8, 2011

Evil-_-Nox wrote:

I can go 60 MPH faster by turning the downforce to minimum in the x1 as opposed to max.

Your hard tires are probably wearing out at the same rate because you're still driving them as if they are softs.  Everytime they slide and spin they wear out quicker.

I don't have an x1 yet, so can't speak to that.

However, I can say that your thoughts on the hard tires is not what is happening to me.  I am getting very little tire spin or loss of traction with either hard or soft tires and there still doesn't seem to be a big difference in longevity.  I'm not saying that there is no difference, just that the difference isn't as big as it has been in past GT games.

Message 15 of 44 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2471 posts

Feb 8, 2011

The affects of downforce can be seen more noticeable on tracks like daytona where it icreases your top speed, not necessarily the acceleration.  Any track, there is a noticeable difference between min and max, anything in between will be hard to tell.

When running race hard and race soft, the tire wear dynamics are absent.  But lower it down to comfort tires, and you will see the true representation of hard vs soft.  I have yet to try this on sports tires.

Message 16 of 44 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1312 posts

Feb 8, 2011

if i remember the previous gt games tires would wear down in the matter of a few laps. that to me was very unrealistic. now when racing friends online we can drive 20, 30, 40, even 50 laps on a set of racing softs. it all depends on how well you drive. i feel this is alot more realistic. as for downforce i notice a difference it may not be huge, but 5 mph difference adds up pretty quick. that to me is alot more realistic than the 20 mph difference that was in previous gt's.

the  thing that i find really annoying is the cursed over exaggerated draft. there is no way that if a person can get 1 1/2 second lead that the chasing guy should be able to draft him. that is was gets me.

Message 17 of 44 (75 Views)
VP of Gaming
28977 posts

Feb 8, 2011

lu7ciano wrote:

GTPWilks-  I've tried it quite extensively, and even when driving clean.. with very high tcs settings to not make tyres skid, the durability is almost the same.

Nak32- exactly, the mph loss should be much much greater.  A real F1 can vary its top speed by 3-4 x that amount from lowest to highest downforce settings.  I use kmh, and with max downforce on most tracks i reach 360-370 top speed.  If i try to put lowest downforce settings, the speed is almost the same... perhaps 10km/h more at the end of the longest straight, if even that.

That's an F1 car. Formula 1 is ALL aerodynamics. The point of adjusting the downforce is cornering, not to adjust the top speed.

Downforce alone isn't going to do anything. Adjusting the ride height, camber, and the spring stiffness and the downforce together will have a greater impact.

Message 18 of 44 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12787 posts

Feb 8, 2011

I playedf with the DF an didn't see any change... Sooner or later a "tweaker" will have a list of DF settings

Message 19 of 44 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
604 posts

Feb 9, 2011

Nak32 wrote:

Evil-_-Nox wrote:

I don't have an x1 yet, so can't speak to that.

However, I can say that your thoughts on the hard tires is not what is happening to me.  I am getting very little tire spin or loss of traction with either hard or soft tires and there still doesn't seem to be a big difference in longevity.  I'm not saying that there is no difference, just that the difference isn't as big as it has been in past GT games.

They can spin for a tad before turning red so they could be slipping some out of every turn causing extra wear and they could be sliding sideways some in the turns and causing extra wear.  You are right though, the difference is hardly noticable and you will get better laps with softs and they wear out at about the same rate.  It was definitely noticable in other GT games, often I didn't use softs because they wore out SO FAST that it wasn't worth the extra grip.  In this one they don't wear as much.

I might test it with a B-spec driver who would probably drive to the limits of his tires and try not to spin them and try to compare them.  But that may not even work because often they have "special" moments and will just melt 2 laps off the tires in a fit of rage.....or stupidity.

Photobucket
Message 20 of 44 (75 Views)
0 Likes