Sep 15 2009
By: AUTOSHOCK Lombax Warrior 97 posts

Do you think GT5 will have some proper racing this time?

9 replies 3 views Edited Sep 15, 2009
Sorry, I didn't know how else to title it, but I just mean in the beginning GT5 Prologue is great and all, but now that I'm finishing up A class and hearing from my brother how difficult S class is... the tips he's giving me are like "yeah I know it's not how a proffesional race car driver would do it, but I'm telling you, they way they made these tracks you have to be cheap to win"...  Now I know they have to increase the difficulty over time, but it's not right that to win you have to smash into cars around turns, be cheap and exploit.  I hope in GT5 they make the races less ridiculous like that, so to achieve a gold medal would look exactly as if you just watched a proffesional race that track.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (3 Views)
Splicer
73 posts

Re: Do you think GT5 will have some proper racing this time?

Sep 15, 2009

Well, it is possible to win the events either way.

It's just easier to beat them cheaply in alot of cases. 

To legitly beat them, you need to adjust each car a specific way for each track and then manage to make no mistakes as you run the car ragged as you can. Some of the harder courses make it nearly impossible to run cheaply because the sand traps keep you down too much. 

The odds are definatly stacked against you though, pass 15 supercars in 5 laps with a similarly equipped is a feat near impossible in real life for anything aside from Daytona oval

Message Edited by Syaieya on 09-14-2009 08:52 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
97 posts

Sep 15, 2009
Yeah but at this stage I don't have the ability to tune cars yet, so if I can't fit my car to the track I have to find other ways to overtake cars.  It just takes the fun out of it, ruins the immersion of the racing simulator.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1487 posts

Sep 15, 2009
In S class races, you better be a damn professional to get gold, haha.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11942 posts

Sep 15, 2009

AUTOSHOCK wrote:
Yeah but at this stage I don't have the ability to tune cars yet, so if I can't fit my car to the track I have to find other ways to overtake cars.  It just takes the fun out of it, ruins the immersion of the racing simulator.

You're deciding to take the immersion out of it, by not driving in a realistic manner. You don't have to...

S-10 and S-7 are beatable by driving smooth and consistently quick. Just plug away. It wasn't easy for anyone, and if it was, it just wouldn't be Gran Turismo. 

There is some truth in the subject line of this thread though. The offline races in GT look nothing like a real competitive car race, especially in Prologue. But, I think that points to a future more involved in online competition, since it's the best way to simulate traditional forms of racing. The offline portion of this game is still stuck in the video game mentality of 'winning everything is a must', when in reality, the closer we get to real competition, where not everyone wins, the more enjoyable the game should become. It should also start to be more sport than game. This reminds me of a letter I recently read in a Sports Illustrated, and a reader sent, about kids and sports...

...You compete, you exult if you win, you get sad if you lose, and you go back and try harder. She (Eunice Kennedy Shriver, in supporting the special olympics) held mentally challenged athletes to a higher standard than parks and recreation programs do for children playing sports in which score isn't kept and everyone gets a trophy.

Garon Hart, Roswell, Ga

SI, Sept 14, 2009 v.111, no. 10, pg 12

Message Edited by ForgetfuI on 09-14-2009 11:08 PM
 photo DSOLOGOAwww5x2.png
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (3 Views)
PlayStation MVP
40839 posts

Sep 15, 2009

ForgetfuI wrote:
There is some truth in the subject line of this thread though. The offline races in GT look nothing like a real competitive car race, especially in Prologue. But, I think that points to a future more involved in online competition, since it's the best way to simulate traditional forms of racing. The offline portion of this game is still stuck in the video game mentality of 'winning everything is a must', when in reality, the closer we get to real competition, where not everyone wins, the more enjoyable the game should become. It should also start to be more sport than game.

Coddling players is one thing, but creating the unrealistic off-line events didn't help Prologue, either. Fortunately, there are only a couple of really bad examples and they may be the result of not enough testing before release. All the more reason to get things right before release.

Also, a player can choose to do only the off-line events that nets him enough content to be content while playing. Once all tracks have been unlocked and he has all of the cars he wants, then the off-line portion can be ignored until he wants more. On-line play can suffice, otherwise.

Cheers,
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
97 posts

Sep 15, 2009
ForgetfuI you are right, in racing you don't have to win all the time, but in this game I can't progress without getting on the podium, and I'd like to unlock the tune feature, and eventually get that F1 car.  eh, I can always get my brother to beat some of the tough ones for me, I got stuck on some timed lap event thing once, and on his first try he beat it lol...
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
40839 posts

Sep 15, 2009
GT isn't that kind of a game. You need to earn the goodies, if you actually want to play with them.

Don't worry, though, GT only includes a few difficult races, so you can complete them all, eventually.

Cheers,
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
97 posts

Sep 15, 2009
Yeah that's true, I kind of forget that there are only a few hard ones, because I will retry the same hard race literally over a hundred times.  And I just realized, that GT5 will probably fix this because car damage will affect performance, so if you smash into cars around cornerrs and whatnot, you will not get far, so you do have to drive in a proffesional manner if you want to win.  My main gripe was that the cheap unrealistic tactics pulled me out of the drivers seat, reminded me that it's just a cheesy video game, but with simulated car damage they now introduce a realistic reason as to why you should not drive like an ass if you have any plans to be on the podium.  good stuff.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
179 posts

Sep 15, 2009
I've read so many complaints about the tests and how you have to bash your way through them. When I completed them I used a controller, now I've got a wheel its much easier place the car exactly where you want it. I did minmal tuning as I'm a driver not an engineer. I'm not a great driver but I do have a few years of racing experience in karts w/local club. I guess what I'm getting at is you don't need extraordinary talent or a bashers mentality. No the tests aren't easy but what fun would it be if they were.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (3 Views)