Treasure Hunter
8245 posts

Re: Discussions on Race Etiquette.

Feb 4, 2009

Stalking is interesting, especially your take on it, james_mikel.  I haven't done it over multiple races, but have done in a single.  Usually the blocker leaves the road trying to outwit me.

As you noted, the fast punters (or short-cutters) are the worst.  It's quickly clear that if they put as much effort into 'proper' racing as they do RaceWars-style driving, there'd be a deeper field of talent to swim in.  I message anyone I have an issue with during a race, asking 'what was up with your driving?'.  If they don't return the message, oh well.  On one occasion, the guy did.  He had been a blocker.  His reply was 'Slower car'.  Mine was 'That's not a reason or excuse'.  That guy drives clean now. 

Message 80 of 423 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12271 posts

Feb 4, 2009

, well 'stalking', you describe it as just filling their mirror, not passing them, and just hanging out behind them, certainly must frustrate a guy who wants you to pass him so he can sideswipe you or punt you off in the next braking zone (watch out for brake checkers!), and certainly has a pretty substantial mental effect on the driver infront of you.

I do it to racers who are obvioulsy fast, but who are pushing too hard. Instead of a risky passing maneouver, I'll show him my nose, then back off. Usually they eventaully make a mistake trying to brake late, and off they go on their own doing. I call this a 'Mental Pass'. I got in his (or her ) head, and gained a position without putting my own race at risk.

'Stalkering' is the act of chasing down someone who took you out, and returning the favor.

Message Edited by ForgetfuI on 02-04-2009 01:32 PM
DriverSports.org
Message 81 of 423 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2501 posts

Feb 4, 2009

ForgetfuI wrote:

I do it to racers who are obvioulsy fast, but who are pushing too hard. Instead of a risky passing maneouver, I'll show him my nose, then back off. Usually they eventaully make a mistake trying to brake late, and off they go on their own doing. I call this a 'Mental Pass'. I got in his (or her ) head, and gained a position without putting my own race at risk.

'Stalkering' is the act of chasing down someone who took you out, and returning the favor.

As someone who used to suck at racing, and now still sucks, but not as much; I have been fighting your so-called 'mental pass.'  It typically only happens when I'm in the lead.  When I'm in second place or worse, I'm not concerned with anyone but the car in front.  However, when I'm in the lead, I'm only concerned with the racer behind me.  In the past, I've paid too much attention to the intervals between me and the second place car.  As long as the interval doesn't get too small, everything is cool.  But if I notice I'm getting caught quicker than is comfortable, I start paying too much attention to the car behind, and invariably, that second place car will pass me as I try to get out of the sand and back onto the track.

In my particular case, Forgetful, I'm more likely to succumb to this 'mental pass' when you're several seconds behind.  When the "game is on" I can usually hunker down and run my race, but there is something about having a 5-second lead after two laps that has bothered me in the past as someone would start cutting it 1.5 seconds a lap (it all started at Fuji a while back when I was leading a race and Trieutulong, or something like that, was behind me...I was running crazy fast laps, and he was still catching me...despite winning the race, the thought of running career laps only to have him shave a second a lap on me got into my head).

Being a mental midget, I have to concentrate on settling myself down.  Over the past few weeks I've become a better front runner as I realized I am much faster when I back off to say 90% instead of running full bore everywhere. 

Now that I'm in the process of not sucking with the lead, I'm more inclined to try your game and sit on some poor **bleep**'s tail for a few laps, waiting for him to choke. 

Message 82 of 423 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5105 posts

Feb 4, 2009

ForgetfuI wrote:

, well 'stalking', you describe it as just filling their mirror, not passing them, and just hanging out behind them, certainly must frustrate a guy who wants you to pass him so he can sideswipe you or punt you off in the next braking zone (watch out for brake checkers!), and certainly has a pretty substantial mental effect on the driver infront of you.

This is the best definition. And a good pass, im with the "Mental Pass", tail them, give them the rope and let them hang themselves.

Stalkering is spot on, i'll do it on rare occasions when ive been taken out and it was clearly aggressive driving.
Message 83 of 423 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4679 posts

Feb 4, 2009

james_mikel wrote:

One day I hope to race y'all but until I can beat S7 & S10 I figure I will avoid Expert...  Until then, you can find me in the demolition derby (Beginner) or the roller derby (Intermediate), driving cleanly as possible and encouraging others to do the same...

Try expert out anyways, you'll probably be fine, and might even just enjoy yourself.

Message 84 of 423 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
608 posts

Feb 5, 2009
Racing on any level is a joke. If some one isn't slamming into you from all sides then some one must be cutting corners and if no ones cutting corners then someone must be drifting around every corner. Then when you go around a corner you get a collision penalty for someone else hitting you. Don't get me wrong I like racing online I can see the potential but its very hard with all the obstacles in the way.
Free userbarsFree userbarsFree userbarsFree userbars
Message 85 of 423 (45 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1046 posts

Feb 5, 2009

DERKADER wrote:
Racing on any level is a joke. If some one isn't slamming into you from all sides then some one must be cutting corners and if no ones cutting corners then someone must be drifting around every corner. Then when you go around a corner you get a collision penalty for someone else hitting you. Don't get me wrong I like racing online I can see the potential but its very hard with all the obstacles in the way.

Sounds like you need to start racing with more of us from here, so you'd have a better chance of avoiding all of what you describe.
 photo Can-AmRacingjimmy1971SigTPRA_zps51398178.jpg
Message 86 of 423 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12271 posts

Feb 5, 2009

jimmy1971 wrote:

DERKADER wrote:

Sounds like you need to start racing with more of us from here, so you'd have a better chance of avoiding all of what you describe.

Yeah, gee, thanks for lumping us in (i know you meant no offense, don't worry ). Racing on our level is freakin' awesome! You've been reading here enough to know the regulars here promote clean racing, and go to great lengths to avoid unwanted drivers. Please don't discount our efforts.

DriverSports.org
Message 87 of 423 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
608 posts

Feb 5, 2009
I would love to race with you guys but since this game doesn't have any sort of invite system or matchmaking system its hard to get races with people you know. The online system is lacking a lot of features that are standard on most racing games. I hope the online is completely redone for GT5. So you can set up and customize races as well as set up rooms where players/friends can group up. Baisicaly make online more like shooters online systems.
Free userbarsFree userbarsFree userbarsFree userbars
Message 88 of 423 (45 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44765 posts

Feb 5, 2009

DERKADER wrote:
I would love to race with you guys but since this game doesn't have any sort of invite system or matchmaking system its hard to get races with people you know.

With all due respect, we almost never miss getting into a race with each other. We use better communication than what the game offers us and we hardly ever miss because of it. Knowledge is power. Go to the TeamSpeak thread and get registered. Your Prologue life on-line will never be the same again.

Cheers,
Message 89 of 423 (45 Views)
0 Likes