Umbrella Scientist
12271 posts

Re: Nothing

Aug 28, 2008

Well put.

Do you have an alias... ImSmarter? Not only does he drive like a genius, but he's quite often the guy that leaves you saying 'Yeah, what he said.'

Message Edited by ForgetfuI on 08-27-2008 09:22 PM
DriverSports.org
Message 50 of 423 (26 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44535 posts

Aug 28, 2008

imfaster wrote:
for me this racing etiquette thingy boils down to 2 different philosophies...

A dirty racer doesn't have any etiquette because to have etiquette one has to have some sort of ethics that fits the conventions of the society in which they are applied.

In other words, dirty drivers are outsiders. They may be among us, but they certainly don't "fit in".

Cheers,
Message 51 of 423 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3457 posts

Aug 28, 2008
Just bringing this up. It's kind of answered but not all at once...
Whenever I try to make a side by side pass throught the esses at hsr, me or the person I'm passing usually ends up spinning out or hitting the wall. If I start my pass on the outside for the first turn of the esses (turn after the bridge if going forwards) that puts me on the inside for the second turn. During the second turn the person I'm passing turns in on me and bumps me (not on purpose). They usally spin out or go wide and hit the wall.

Is it my fault for holding my passing line and they came down on me?
Is it my fault for not letting off?
Is it his fault for not knowing his surrondings?
or Is it niethers fault?
a>
Message 52 of 423 (26 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1009 posts

Aug 28, 2008

The way I understand it is it depends if you had substantial overlap with the other car before you went into the esses.  If there is substantial overlap going into the corner then both of you have a right to space through the esses.  In that case the other racer would be at fault for turning into you.  If you don't have substantial overlap then the racer in front has the right to the line they want.  Then you would be at fault.

What I'm not sure about is at what point do you need substantial overlap?  Is when the racer in front brakes for the corner? or when he turns in?

Signature
Message 53 of 423 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
613 posts

Aug 28, 2008

Doublez1 wrote:
Whenever I try to make a side by side pass throught the esses at hsr, me or the person I'm passing usually ends up spinning out or hitting the wall. If I start my pass on the outside for the first turn of the esses (turn after the bridge if going forwards) that puts me on the inside for the second turn. During the second turn the person I'm passing turns in on me and bumps me (not on purpose). They usally spin out or go wide and hit the wall.

Is it my fault for holding my passing line and they came down on me?
Is it my fault for not letting off?
Is it his fault for not knowing his surrondings?
or Is it niethers fault?

Well I find it that it is almost always the person that is attempting the passes fault, because even if someone blocks you, and it isnt prefered, it is allowed, and in real races real pro drivers do this so they can defend their position, in GT5 it may not be as important since bumping the car slightly has no effect on your car so it allows you to drive very aggresive.

Photobucket
Message 54 of 423 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12271 posts

Aug 28, 2008

If you're beside him already, and holding a line, giving him enough room, and he turns down in to your car, that's purely his fault. Driving your nose in to the side of his car as he tries to turn in front of you is your fault. Trying to go to fast on an inside line and sliding up in to him is your fault. (Despite the running joke on TS)

If you're inside, your responsibility is to stay inside, that's it. Often times, if both cars are trying to maintain their lines, and the contact happens door to door anyways, that is when the term 'Rubbin's Racin'properly applies.

DriverSports.org
Message 55 of 423 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2314 posts

Aug 28, 2008

Doublez1 wrote:

Is it my fault for holding my passing line and they came down on me?  no
Is it my fault for not letting off?  no
Is it his fault for not knowing his surrondings?  yes
or Is it niethers fault?  no

Is it my fault for holding my passing line and they came down on me?  i could not possibly see that hoding your racing line would be wrong if you both entered the corner at the same time side by side.  if your opponent enters the esses first, in front of you he/she should have the right to take whatever line they decide to because they're in front.  it would be considered their fault for coming down on you in the corner if you are side by side.

Is it my fault for not letting off?   if you enter a corner side by side with someone you have every right to be right there beside them.   if someone leaves the window of opportunity open its certainly going to rain on they're parade.   it puts the ball in the court of the opponent and makes them decide wether or not they have the skills to drive that less than perfect line and still be able to make it thru the corner with the same or faster speed than you.   most people are intimidated by side by side racing and will back off not knowing what will happen if they can't drive their "perfect" line.   but its also where the dual responsibility comes into play...as well you have to decide whether or not this is a "risky" manouver and you're taking a huge chance on taking yourself and your opponent out of the race.   think of it this way...most professional race car drivers will tell you that they think well ahead of where they are on the track...usually 2 to 3 corners ahead.   if you are entering corners with other opponents you should be well aware ahead of time what risk factors are going to be in play by entering said corner side by side with another racer.

Is it his fault for not knowing his surrondings?   absolutely yes.   your telling me that the guy could not see you or hear you???  don't think so.  i know that when someone is fastly approaching from behind i see them in the rearview mirror and that when they diisappear from my mirrors they are beside me and are about to get past me.  usually when someone is that close i can't even hear my own car's engine.  you have to be conscious and aware of yours and others space on the track.  if you're not then you're heading for trouble with a capital "T".

or Is it niethers fault?   no way possible...its always going to be someone's fault or at the very worst case both are at fault.   i know from past experience that if i make a mistake it can and will lead to a dominoe effect sucking in everything in its path like a huge vaccum.   if a person in front of you makes a mistake that's the time to step up a notch and capitalize on they're misfortune and come out the victor.   if you make a mistake right after they do it puts the both of you out of the competition...seen this scenario to many times to count.

some may disagree with my point of view but that's the way i see it Capt'n. 

Photobucket
Message 56 of 423 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2314 posts

Aug 28, 2008

ForgetfuI wrote:

Well put.

Do you have an alias... ImSmarter? Not only does he drive like a genius, but he's quite often the guy that leaves you saying 'Yeah, what he said.'

hehehe...you're way to kind but the fact of the matter is...i pull some pretty stupid and idiotic moves here on the forum.  just like when i posted up the time for HSR with the F430.  posted the time with the right car but i ran it on the right track in the wrong direction and then was stupid enough to post it up for everyone to see.   hey ya bonehead!!!  you ran it the wrong direction!!!!   geeez.

and always remember that dum spelled backwards is mud. 

Photobucket
Message 57 of 423 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
345 posts

Aug 28, 2008
In those esses how many times are you praying the other driver knows your there, as you said knowing your surroundings, but without full view probably more than 50 % don't see you so in their eyes you aren't there. Unfortionate yes but until we wrap around goggle style headware its going to happen.
Message 58 of 423 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Aug 28, 2008

timmeetee wrote:
In those esses how many times are you praying the other driver knows your there, as you said knowing your surroundings, but without full view probably more than 50 % don't see you so in their eyes you aren't there. Unfortionate yes but until we wrap around goggle style headware its going to happen.

Agreed timmeetee.  In real life you have more peripheral vision while driving, but in GT5P your vision is limited to mostly what's in front of you.  I would assume that

most people online uses the **bleep**-pit view as well as myself.  Even when you know that someone is by your side, it is pretty hard to tell the distance that they are from you in this view.

It is near impossible to pan left/right while trying to navigate a corner correctly while staying on your line (for me anyway).  For this reason, I think that most bumps that occur in the esses is due to this fact.

Message 59 of 423 (26 Views)
0 Likes