Just added a few threads, and 'Retaliation has to stop' s one of them
DriverSports.org
Message 20 of 425 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6187 posts

Re: Nothing

Aug 27, 2008

One thing I haven't seen discussed is what I would call, 'racing honor' and it something you rarely see in NASCAR when there's more contact than the target driver deems necessary or acceptable.  In virtually every online race where there is competitive racing, there will be contact.  It may be due to inexperience, lag, legitimate competition, or foul play.  Most of us know 'foul play'... or at least THINK we do. It's pretty obvious when you make a pass on a straight and the dude decides to wallerize you just as you get side by side.  In corners, I think there are enough factors at play that it *can* be difficult to peg a move a 'dirty' vs. competitive, risky, stupid, or unskilled.

First instinct when you get whacked is to curse and, when your penalty is up, race forward in Predator mode.  Calm down.  Take a deep breath.  Revenge-driving has no place in professional motorsports and it shouldn't have a place in the game either.  The hacks that bang and bash are poor drivers and I get more satisfaction from catching them, passing them cleanly (or as cleanly as they'll allow; the attempt will start out clean at least), and watching them finish in my wake.

There is NOTHING to be gained by responding to dirty driving with more dirty driving.  Beat the bangers, don't join them.

Message Edited by Corrrado on 08-26-2008 10:45 PM
Message 21 of 425 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

Aug 27, 2008

lbloom wrote:

boston77 wrote:

He/we have done this in many races. One race we were both so stubborn to finish ahead of each other that we lost the race and finished mid-pack.

You all know.  He's fast, clean and a pleasure to race with.  Its just a nice sign of respect for each other.  I honestly think I slow him up in the corners of HSR but he always is patient and waits for his opportunities, Then he makes me eat his dust.  he's fun to race with.

Yep imfaster is one of the best. Highly skilled and very clean. If we could just keep him from laughing so much.

OH, and if you bleed black and gold you must be a Steeler fan.

Heck No!!!  Cowboys baby. LOL.  I'm a bit of a nut about Boston Bruins hockey, hench, I bleed blk.& gold.

boston77
***I BLEED BLACK AND GOLD***
Message 22 of 425 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2314 posts

Aug 27, 2008

OFFICIAL AND PUBLIC APOLOGY TO OLDTIMER...

sorry buddy...didn't mean to make you upset with me...wasn't intended to make anyone upset. 

Photobucket
Message 23 of 425 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
248 posts

Aug 27, 2008
Apology accepted. Not upset at all. Was some good races with you side by side at times through the esses. You had me pushing myself just to keep up. All is good and look forward to more races with you.
Message 24 of 425 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1924 posts

Aug 27, 2008

I agree with the "honor" principle. If you are being passed...and you know it...no matter how much you dont want to lose the position...take it like a man(figure of speach)...you got passed...it happens...you put yourself in that position earlier be it another previous corner you didnt exit well, or were off-line.

But intentionally side-blocking(wallerizing) is childish.

My question is in regards to penalties.

If i chose to drive a slower vehicle in a race to add to the racing challenge, and some shmuck behind me decides NOT to brake properly in to a corner thus pile-driving me off course...why on earth would I get a penalty for 'collision'?

I've been punted off course in a couple of the slow corners(chicane at end of Suzuka) while in 3rd place by a non-braking Viper on the last lap quite a few times...by the time I recover and my penalty counts down, I end up in last place because:

1)some driver who cant come to grips with his/her lack of ability, or unable to accept the fact that yes, they ARE being beat to the finish line, and desperately wants to earn more game credits(obviously more important to them than self-respect while interacting with others while playing a game...a GAME online) 

2)I get a time penalty for another driver's poor skillz/, lack of judgement/immaturity, thus ruining what I considered a valiant effort cranking out improved lap times lap after lap...I take pride in dropping my lap times, saving the fastest lap for the end..

3)the car(s) that intentionally wack you off course, or clearly cut corners taking shortcuts dont seem to get penalties...I watched two Ford GT LM test cars cut a certain corner at Fuji pseedway every lap yesterday, and neither of them were slowed down(ghosted) in the least bit...where as I accidentally hung my inside front tire off the corner strip, and was penalized for 4 seconds for taking a shortcut when I was maybe a foot off-line/course.

why is that? 

I know it is only a game...but we all enjoy the driving simulation...obviously...and I know it can be frustrating when incidental contact makes you go off course, and you have to spend the rest of the race catching up. But cant we all just get along?

My garage

http://www.mygranturismo.net/1724

Drafting? Draft this!

Message 25 of 425 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
180 posts

Aug 27, 2008

I've read most of these threads on ettiquette and good conduct - but I'd like to repeat a point that I think a lot of people miss:

Whether you're fast or slow or passing or being passed (passer or the passee?), you are responsible for safe racing, taking every precaution to ensure the cleanest pass.

THE TRUTH IS BOTH DRIVERS ARE RESPONSIBLE.

For example:

Sometimes a driver enters a turn intending to just follow another driver (say, with the same car) through it and an accident happens. Say the person in front stood on the brakes hard and very early in the turn, and no matter how hard you're braking, your car taps his. If his tires are softer than yours, you might think he shouldn't have to brake so hard in the turn and he'd be able to navigate it faster than you. And if his tires are harder, then you should be able to outbrake him and not hit him. So why did they hit each other? Unfortunately, it depends on many more factors than just traction and one doesn't always know what the other guy will do or what his car is capable of. So what's the solution, and who's fault was it?

Actually, it's both.

The car in front could've given way and moved to the outside for the faster car behind him.

The racer behind could've chosen a racing line directly behind, but safely adjacent to that of the car in front, or entered with a greater following distance.

Neither gave up their 'ideal' racing lines.

If you know you're slower you have the option to give way. And if you know you're faster you need to keep in mind the slower guy in front will be braking sooner, so plan ahead.

It's very simple:

If both drivers planned ahead and practiced safe racing/passing/following, that's 100% precaution and chances are close to 100% that they wouldn't hit one another.

If only one driver does, then that's only 50% precaution, but remember the chances for an accidident are now far far less than 50% and chances they wouldn't hit eachother are still very high.

If neither do, ithat's just 0% precaution.

In most unintentional accidents, both drivers were responsible, pick any example. That's part of the reason why the FIA Regulations are so vague regarding sportsmanlike conduct on the track.

And every time I accidentally hit someone on the track, I consider what I could've done to prevent that. It's an ongoing learning experience.

Forget what other drivers should or shouldn't be doing or how they should be driving. Respect them all, practice patience and focus on learning something from every situation, good or bad, and keep improving your own racing ability and judgement on the track.

Respect,

DeX

Message Edited by Willem on 08-27-2008 09:19 AM
Message Edited by Willem on 08-27-2008 09:20 AM
Message 26 of 425 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
660 posts

Aug 27, 2008

Try not to "block".  Blocking and hindering a faster opponent, is unsportsman like.  Blocking however in the last few turns of race is permitted, as in protecting your position could be vital.  When attempting a block, it is not acceptable to cause your opponent to wreck, or run off the course.  If you are a hinderance to a faster car, please drive a different line to allow the other driver to pass, when it is safe to do so.

What we follow..

posted this because i havent seen any "blocking" posts

"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."

Message 27 of 425 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1924 posts

Aug 27, 2008

I agree about the joint-responsibility.

I have yet to encounter a whole starting grid full of "responsible" racers.

usually the top 3 are racing legit.

everyone else seems to be set on turning the track in to their own demolition derby.

But yes...patience. I hope to find a race in INTERMEDIATE to PROFESSIONAL levels where the zig-zags stop, and the racing starts.

if you see my name ahead of you, near you on the grid...rest assured, I will race you clean. I get more pleasure from letting a car pass, and trying to catch him, than blocking you...unless you're drafting me 1/4 mile from the finish line on the last lap...then...maybe...I might make 1 move.

My garage

http://www.mygranturismo.net/1724

Drafting? Draft this!

Message 28 of 425 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12272 posts

Re: Discussions on Race Etiquette.

Aug 27, 2008

ForgetfuI wrote:

Race etiquette in slower cars? - Some discussion on being lapped, blue flags, and passing slower cars, for position, on the high banks of Daytona.

That thread really gets in to what people define as 'blocking'.

Most race series I know of consider 'blocking' by definition to be illegal, but driving a protective line is a different story. A lot of people mis-interpret the 'one defensive move' rule that many people have heard of. The nature of that one move can not constitute a deliberate block of an opponents line. Basically, if he goes to put his nose inside, you can't come across his front end to get in his way. You can however set up an inside approach (make you one move to the inside approach of the corner) and make your opponent try to pass you on the outside. But if they're moving to go beside you, that's when one defensive move becomes a 'block'.

The idea of a defensive move is to be in a defensive position to make your opponent go around you the long way, hopefully making it too dificult, and it is not an active way to stop some one from passing you.

DriverSports.org
Message 29 of 425 (99 Views)
0 Likes