Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 29 2013
By: lilskaters Splicer 48 posts

Difference between Extension and compression?

4 replies 183 views Edited Jan 29, 2013

No idea what that means , if anyone could clear that all up.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

Re: Difference between Extension and compression?

Jan 29, 2013

What we are talking about is the shocks and springs. Extension is when the shock/spring gets longer. This happens when a car goes over a hill, after a bump and coming out of a turn. So saying this, compression is just the opposite , they become shorter. Now in the game we can adjust the speed this happens. A lower setting (#) will allow this to happen faster than a higher setting. So 1 is low and 10 is high. Now the track you are runnig will be a major factor on how you adjust things. A rough track, you want a softer set up. A smother track and a stiffer set up will work. There are a lot of other factors that go into a setup, this is just a simple guide.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (176 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1690 posts

Jan 29, 2013

If you were to park a car on a lift and then raise it up and then push up on one of the wheels and look at the coil springs (I think that's what they are called), you'll see the coil spring get "compressed" - the coils get pushed closer together...letting go of the wheel you were pushing on will cause the springs, or dampers as they are referred to in GT5, to go back to its original shape - this is the "extension"). The act of compression and extension is also referred to as "damper bound", and "damper rebound".

Life is what happens while you're making other plans - taken from the movie "Kuffs"

MY RIDES: http://www.mygranturismo.net/10853

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: http://www.youtube.com/user/rojovo74

"Who is more foolish...the fool or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (173 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1092 posts

Jan 29, 2013

Interesting, I don't know anything about setting up a car but am reading this and other post to try and get some idea.  I'm still lost but trying.   Thanks for the post. 

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (168 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
99 posts

Jan 29, 2013

I am not the best tuner out there but in terms of understanding chassis set up and every other aspect of racing cars, greatly understated legend Bob Bondurant has a great  drivers manual from 1993 that was used in his high perfomance driving school called of all things

" Bondurant on High Performance Driving" I would suggest anyone with questions on setups and understanding car physics in complete layman's terms, this is a great resource. Best of all it's only eight bucks or cheaper on Amazon. I have read it cover to cover several times and it truly helps even in the virtual world. And it's not just car set up it also covers all the critical aspects of racing with apex, braking, exiting, passing and so on as well as heal - toe downshifting in a short 144 pages. Hope some of you go get this because it will make a huge difference in understanding a race car and it's setup as well as your mental set up for racing. CHEERS!!

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (152 Views)