Reply
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 09/03/2012
Offline
1712 posts
 

Re: Didn't know you could be "Too Fast"

Feb 7, 2013

Anjen, I've also seen more than my fair share of experienced and fast drivers on GT5 completely disregard the rules, and barge their way ahead of less experienced drivers because they feel they shouldn't get held up. Two sides to that coin.

 

In fairness, as British GT seems to have always been more of a 'track day' level event, with 'gentleman racers' and pros rubbing shoulders, and the overall level of amateur participation being much lower than the GT Academy 'pros', it makes you wonder why such high level amateurs want to get involved in the first place? An easy win? Hardly seems sporting...

 

Surely there are racing series they can get themselves into that offer a far more competitive field of entrants?

 

Yes, there IS a case for being 'too fast'!

Message 11 of 36 (278 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 11/24/2010
Offline
8815 posts
 

Re: Didn't know you could be "Too Fast"

Feb 7, 2013

inexperience is a concern as far as safety for sure, but that hasn't been the complaint from the organizers.  Instead, it's that they are "too fast".  If they were causing wrecks on every turn or something, then I'd understand, but I don't think that's the case.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 12 of 36 (273 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 12/02/2010
Offline
2341 posts
 

Re: Didn't know you could be "Too Fast"

[ Edited ]
Feb 7, 2013

exXboxFan wrote:

inexperience is a concern as far as safety for sure, but that hasn't been the complaint from the organizers.  Instead, it's that they are "too fast".  If they were causing wrecks on every turn or something, then I'd understand, but I don't think that's the case.


My point was based solely on inferrences I made based on this quote from the article

 

"Their new recruits have very little racing experience so they have to be on the lowest performance grade."

 

 

I may have misread the intention of that statement.

- There's a distinct difference between slow & deliberate and deliberately slow -
Message 13 of 36 (269 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 01/04/2009
Offline
8245 posts
 

Re: Didn't know you could be "Too Fast"

Feb 7, 2013

 

Here's what the British GT championship has for driver pairing rules on their website:

 

Licence requirement & driver grades
All drivers must hold a racing licence of at least International C grade.

Drivers are categorized into groups A, B, C or D according to their experience and successes. Grade A drivers may partner only with drivers from categories D or C (A+C will carry 40Kg). Grade B drivers may partner only with drivers from categories D or C (B+C will carry 25Kg). All other pairing combinations are permitted.

 

So it's clearly meant to be one pro and one amateur driver sharing a car.  Driver grading similar to this is common in GT racing (including other SRO-organized series and the 24 hours of Le Mans).  Looks to me like Nissan tried to enter a fully professional (although inexperienced) pair and got correctly rejected.  I'm sure all the naysayers coming out of the woodwork were avid viewers of British GT.

 


Destinkeys wrote:

BTW, a bit OT, but do you guys ever run online series where the top performers are given PP or ballast restrictions, to make the field a little tighter? It seems IRL, in quite a few series, if a certain car/driver combination starts to utterly dominate, ballast is added. Has anyone taken this approach to stop online races from being the same few on top all the time?


That was pretty common at GTPlanet when GT5 was new.  Works if everyone involved both plays fair and can read, but because you can't 'see' anyones pp or any car details ...

 

Message 14 of 36 (264 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 12/04/2003
Online
45644 posts
 

Re: Didn't know you could be "Too Fast"

Feb 7, 2013

clacksman wrote:

Looks to me like Nissan tried to enter a fully professional (although inexperienced) pair and got correctly rejected.


 

If this is the case, then why wouldn't they say so clearly rather than beating around the bush?

 

Message 15 of 36 (259 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 07/29/2009
Offline
867 posts
 

Re: Didn't know you could be "Too Fast"

Feb 7, 2013

clacksman wrote:

 

Here's what the British GT championship has for driver pairing rules on their website:

 

Licence requirement & driver grades
All drivers must hold a racing licence of at least International C grade.

Drivers are categorized into groups A, B, C or D according to their experience and successes. Grade A drivers may partner only with drivers from categories D or C (A+C will carry 40Kg). Grade B drivers may partner only with drivers from categories D or C (B+C will carry 25Kg). All other pairing combinations are permitted.

 

So it's clearly meant to be one pro and one amateur driver sharing a car.  Driver grading similar to this is common in GT racing (including other SRO-organized series and the 24 hours of Le Mans).  Looks to me like Nissan tried to enter a fully professional (although inexperienced) pair and got correctly rejected.  I'm sure all the naysayers coming out of the woodwork were avid viewers of British GT.

 

Great read of both the rules and Nissan's attempts to enter this team.
BANG

 

 photo BANGNOLUFSENSigPic4_zpsa53ba0de.jpg
Message 16 of 36 (247 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 11/07/2008
Offline
1131 posts
 

Re: Didn't know you could be "Too Fast"

Feb 7, 2013

Strange, very strange.  Elitist?

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.
Message 17 of 36 (227 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 03/13/2005
Offline
1044 posts
 

Re: Didn't know you could be "Too Fast"

[ Edited ]
Feb 8, 2013

clacksman wrote:

Here's what the British GT championship has for driver pairing rules on their website:

Licence requirement & driver grades
All drivers must hold a racing licence of at least International C grade.

Drivers are categorized into groups A, B, C or D according to their experience and successes. Grade A drivers may partner only with drivers from categories D or C (A+C will carry 40Kg). Grade B drivers may partner only with drivers from categories D or C (B+C will carry 25Kg). All other pairing combinations are permitted.

So it's clearly meant to be one pro and one amateur driver sharing a car.  Driver grading similar to this is common in GT racing (including other SRO-organized series and the 24 hours of Le Mans).  Looks to me like Nissan tried to enter a fully professional (although inexperienced) pair and got correctly rejected.  I'm sure all the naysayers coming out of the woodwork were avid viewers of British GT.


But because of how their driver ranking system works, the GT Academy guys would actually be at the lowest ranked driver level, as Jann was last year. Once they saw how fast Jann was, they changed his ranking, which also meant the team recieved a time penalty after every race. From the looks of it, Nissan was going to enter the Academy guys with two on each team, making an all amateur lineup in a Pro-Am field, but because of Jann's speed, the organizers pretty much said, "Yes you are amateurs, but you guys are so fast, it's not fair to the other amateurs in the field, therefore we won't let you in."


Message 18 of 36 (209 Views)
Gaming Beast
Registered: 12/24/2010
Offline
2090 posts
 

Re: Didn't know you could be "Too Fast"

Feb 8, 2013

They should tell the "other amatures" to play more GT5!!! 

 photo 3da2a2f2-f5ac-48ee-92a6-ef916fe7b8b4.jpg
Message 19 of 36 (199 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 12/04/2003
Online
45644 posts
 

Re: Didn't know you could be "Too Fast"

Feb 8, 2013

With enough Academy drivers, eventually NISSAN will be able to make their own series beyond the Academy itself.

Message 20 of 36 (194 Views)