Nov 15 2012
By: Danofcanada First Son 3 posts

Censor filter?

13 replies 306 views Edited Nov 15, 2012

Why trying to chat in GT5 the word "prohibited: was censored as a swear word. The most absurd words get censored on GT5 can someone explain this?

Message 1 of 14 (306 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44518 posts

Re: Censor filter?

Nov 15, 2012

We don't know why certain words get starred out.

Message 2 of 14 (298 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4565 posts

Nov 15, 2012

It happens because ******* ***** ************ *** ***** ******* *** ****** and also **** ** ******** *** ***** *******.

I hope that helps.  Smiley Tongue

Message 3 of 14 (288 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Nov 15, 2012

some of it seems to just be a bug, and some of it seems to be negative words.

the word "prohibited" is a negative word

you also cannot type the word "con" (prefix actually) and this prevents you from typing "disconnected" which I understand why they do not like you to type that.

but come on we deserve to use whatever speech we wish so long as it isn't harming anyone.

I think this is something PD should look into fixing.  Censor actual swear words and also realize that mostly adults play GT5 and not only merely adults, mature adults.

we can swear over voice chat, so why not text? un-fraking believable.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 4 of 14 (284 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3586 posts

Nov 15, 2012

I can understand not being able to type curse words, slang words that mean the same, etc, but not being able to type regular normal every day legit words like any one of these in this reply is just ridiculous.  If we can't type normal words so we can have legit text conversations, then just completely remove the ability all together.  What we'll have left is headsets where every little 5 year old kid can hear the most grotesque dialog.  And that language is usually coming from another 5 year in my experiences.

The word filtration system in this game is over the top excessive IMO.

photo PSForumSigPic1_zps15f972f0.png
Message 5 of 14 (281 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Nov 15, 2012

it would be really good if there was a reliable age-verification process... but I can't envision one that couldn't be manipulated or become far too intrusive...

Message 6 of 14 (277 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
785 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 15, 2012

It's a game for all ages, therefore they have to filter out offensive words. It's also a game designed to be played all over the world to people that speak different languages, therefore all supported languages need their offensive words filtered out  as well.

Far as I knew, PD only used the standard dictionary and filter that comes with the PS3's software from Sony, they never went through the dictionary themselves and decided that they would block out random words, that would be a waste of developement time.

Edit: For example, the reason why words like "bacon" and "connection" are filtered out is because they contain the the word "con", which in French is an offensive word. It can be used as idiot, moron, a##hole etc depending on how it's used.

Message 7 of 14 (270 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
538 posts

Nov 15, 2012

my fav is qualify and qualification, horrible words apparently.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 8 of 14 (252 Views)
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
1044 posts

Nov 16, 2012
I wonder why it was decided that the entire message needs to be censored rather than just the offending word(s). One of the most frustrating things online is spending 3+ minutes carefully typing out a long message with the game pad only to have it appear as rows of stars (without even knowing which word caused the problem)!

Message 9 of 14 (238 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Nov 16, 2012

Lewis_Hamilton_ wrote:

It's a game for all ages, therefore they have to filter out offensive words. It's also a game designed to be played all over the world to people that speak different languages, therefore all supported languages need their offensive words filtered out  as well.

Far as I knew, PD only used the standard dictionary and filter that comes with the PS3's software from Sony, they never went through the dictionary themselves and decided that they would block out random words, that would be a waste of developement time.

Edit: For example, the reason why words like "bacon" and "connection" are filtered out is because they contain the the word "con", which in French is an offensive word. It can be used as idiot, moron, a##hole etc depending on how it's used.

that's a very slippery slope, and we're anot just at the edge of it here, we are already well down into the precipace...

if you censor every spelling of a word which could be "offensive" (a subjective term, dependent on a person's insecurities) and all languages that use roman characters, and then all of the slang versions of those words and mispellilings of those words done purposely so that people can explain themselves, and suddenly you are left with a programming nightmare that leaves very little that can be said without interpreting it as "offensive"...

if "con" is a swear word in French, fine.  If someone types it by itself.  Fine.  But that is a part of many words in English and any word that contains it cannot be typed.  That leads to censoring probably a hundred or more words.

Pretty soon, we'll all just by typing like this....

*****BLEEP***** I **BLEEP ****  * * * * ******* a *******  you ****** !  LOL

Hint:  Robots can't swear or violate rules, and that's what makes them a robot.  You are human because you have the choice to violate rules.  Once that goes away completely, you are a robot.  (in the figurative sense, with slight exaggeration of course)

This is not a diatribe against having rules or against administrating your own product to be available for all ages.  Just a warning not to take it too far, which perhaps they already have Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 14 (221 Views)