Jan 23 2013
By: kingcanute907 First Son 6 posts

Car Setup Tips

9 replies 439 views Edited Jan 23, 2013

I am looking for setup tips to help myself get quicker. I already have some of the basics. I am just having some difficulties to the finer points. Specifically about what I can do to the car for a circuit with tight corners versus gentle corners.

Another issue i have run into is how to make my car go fast around Motegi Speedway. No matter what I try, I am making the same lap times. A friend of mine thinks it is because I am using a Dual Shock Controller and not a steering wheel. Is this the general opinion or am I just setting up the car incorrectly?

Any helpful feedback is appreciated.

Message 1 of 10 (439 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1088 posts

Re: Car Setup Tips

Jan 23, 2013

kingcanute907 wrote:

I am looking for setup tips to help myself get quicker. I already have some of the basics. I am just having some difficulties to the finer points. Specifically about what I can do to the car for a circuit with tight corners versus gentle corners.

Another issue i have run into is how to make my car go fast around Motegi Speedway. No matter what I try, I am making the same lap times. A friend of mine thinks it is because I am using a Dual Shock Controller and not a steering wheel. Is this the general opinion or am I just setting up the car incorrectly?

Any helpful feedback is appreciated.

First of all, welcome kingcanute907.

As far as the hand controller goes. I am sure your friend means well. But he is stating an "opinion" only. Why I say this is because there are a lot of guys here who use a hand controller and they are just as quick and good as those of us with a wheel. A wheel just adds that much more immersion to the GT5. I was very quick with the controller and then later bought a wheel. Not because it would make me quicker. But because I wanted to try it but hesitated because of the "geek" factor. But I loved it and was better. Better because I adapted to it very quick. But not everybody is that way.

Now as far as getting your car to be faster or quicker on certain tracks does come down to tuning it correctly. I will just state a couple of examples here because you will be getting a lot of opinions and suggestions coming your way. So try some or all of them till you findwhat works for your driving style.

High-Speed Circuits. The ideal setting for these are those allow the car to take high-speed corners as fast as possible. Suspension should be stiff but not overly stiff. And the ride height low but not too low. Wheel alignment is important too. Like toe and camber.

Technical Courses with a lot of tight corners, the goal is to set up a car that can turn quickly and has the ability to accelerate out of corners with a minimum loss of power. with ride height set to the appropriate level. Suspension should be a bit softer not as stiff. Wheel alignment is just as important here as well. Also adjusting your transmissions top speed to change the gearing for the track being raced on.

I'll stop here. Because as I mentioned before. you will now be getting a lot more suggestions and opinions coming your way. Maybe you can send a freind request to me and i can give you further help on certain tracks to help you out. Most of all be patient and have fun!

" A defeat is good for the character if you take it the right way."

Who said it?
Message 2 of 10 (414 Views)
0 Likes
Message 3 of 10 (410 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 24, 2013
Thanks I appreciate it! I will get to work right away and see what i can do with your tips Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 10 (368 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1312 posts

Jan 24, 2013

please don't take this wrong, but driving the car within it's limits, hitting the apex, and driving the correct line( which can differ slightly from person to person) is most important.  a good tune can help you do these easier. 

Message 5 of 10 (346 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1088 posts

Jan 24, 2013

hey6541 wrote:

please don't take this wrong, but driving the car within it's limits, hitting the apex, and driving the correct line( which can differ slightly from person to person) is most important.  a good tune can help you do these easier. 

Nothing wrong with what you mentioned here hey6541. You are correct about driving the car within it's limits. At the same time however, it is also good to push the car slightly beyond it too. Because you need to know how far you can push it before it lets loose. Matter of fact, just in case kingcanute asks. When you are cornering or braking for a turn and you hear the tires screeching. Don't worry about that. You want to hear some screeching because that sound lets you know that you are in the "slip ratio" zone. You are at the tires maximum grip. Just don't overdue it or you'll start to loose grip too.

" A defeat is good for the character if you take it the right way."

Who said it?
Message 6 of 10 (336 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 24, 2013
I am well aware of how to hit apexes and braking points lol I just wish to improve my times so i can be more competitive online and the most efficient way is through car setups
Message 7 of 10 (319 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1690 posts

Jan 24, 2013

I agree with what you're saying about pushing the limits...the only real downside to being aggressive is if you're caught in traffic, you can't push the envelope as much as you'd like. running the license tests and special event challenges is another story, simply because you're only racing against the clock with just your car on the track, therefore allowing you to be more aggressive. When I first started messing with the AMG Driving Academy challenges with the 300 SL, I wasn't ddriving as aggressively as I could've, or in  my case, should've been...I finally realized it and I thought, man wth was I thinking about? This is a slower car for crying out loud...I should be driving more aggressively here, especially with THIS car lol. I felt a bit like a moron lol. Although I did have to cheat a little by cutting across the large patch of grass toward the beginning of the second section on the Nurb because I just could not reach the gold time while following the track...it's the only spot on the track where I just had to cut the corner...the rest of the track I was just fine.

Life is what happens while you're making other plans - taken from the movie "Kuffs"

MY RIDES: http://www.mygranturismo.net/10853

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: http://www.youtube.com/user/rojovo74

"Who is more foolish...the fool or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get.

Message 8 of 10 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1312 posts

Jan 25, 2013

kingcanute907 wrote:
I am well aware of how to hit apexes and braking points lol I just wish to improve my times so i can be more competitive online and the most efficient way is through car setups

sorry but this isn't entirely true. i can go into most online rooms with untuned cars(except horsepower or pp of course) and be competitive, or win. the saying there is always someone faster is true. take spec races for instant, everyone has the same car, but those that drive it better( brake most efficient, scrub least speed, accelerate earliest all while under control) will most likely be there in the end to contend for the win. in actual races if you drive past the limit you will be more opt to make mistakes, which will not generally allow you to be there in the end.  

again, and please don't take offense. i know that everyone understands apex and braking points, but it takes a ton of practice to do it correctly and consistant. keeping it real, very few guys here are professional drivers, so it stands to reason that everyone here could refines their driving skills to improve their lap times. i have a friend that was struggling with the top gear lotus test, so he started driving with all aids off. as a result he got much better at car control, and  passed the test. 

all this being said i know that you are welcome to come and join anyone here anytime. it' is after all alot easier to help with tuning and  such when you are on track running with people. 

Message 9 of 10 (282 Views)
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
866 posts

Jan 25, 2013

hey6541 wrote:

kingcanute907 wrote:

sorry but this isn't entirely true. i can go into most online rooms with untuned cars(except horsepower or pp of course) and be competitive, or win. the saying there is always someone faster is true. take spec races for instant, everyone has the same car, but those that drive it better( brake most efficient, scrub least speed, accelerate earliest all while under control) will most likely be there in the end to contend for the win. in actual races if you drive past the limit you will be more opt to make mistakes, which will not generally allow you to be there in the end.  

again, and please don't take offense. i know that everyone understands apex and braking points, but it takes a ton of practice to do it correctly and consistant. keeping it real, very few guys here are professional drivers, so it stands to reason that everyone here could refines their driving skills to improve their lap times. i have a friend that was struggling with the top gear lotus test, so he started driving with all aids off. as a result he got much better at car control, and  passed the test. 

all this being said i know that you are welcome to come and join anyone here anytime. it' is after all alot easier to help with tuning and  such when you are on track running with people. 

I think I understand where you are coming from kingcanute907. Sadly, I struggle to really drive quickly until I am comfortable with the car I am racing in. For this reason, I need to tune most car chassis to truly be competitive. The vast majority of my cars have at least a fully adjustable racing chassis.

A select few people like hey6541 can jump into a bone stock car and crush even the very good drivers. Hey is absolutely correct in stating that lots of practice, especially with talented drivers, will make a bigger and longer lasting improvement than the best tune!

My 2 cents.

BANG

photo BANGNOLUFSENSigPic4_zpsa53ba0de.jpg
Message 10 of 10 (266 Views)
0 Likes