Nov 27 2012
By: Freckles13 First Son 9 posts

Blinking Red Light

6 replies 389 views Edited Nov 27, 2012

Hey guys, I just turned on my PS3 to play GT5, launched the game, and then screen blinked and the PS3 restarted itself. Upon restart it said that the system was not shut off properly and that it would restart and check the hard drive integrity.

Then it just blinked red. I pressed the On/Off switch in front, then turned it off in the back. Checked connections, then turned on back switch, and turned on the front switch. Same thing happened: starts up, says it was inproperly turned off and needs to check HDD integrity, I press X and then screen goes blank and blinking red light.

I did a bit of looking and it seems I have a Red Light Of Death. I bought my PS3 when Metal Gear Solid 4 launched, so this is a generation 1 80GB model -- by generation 1 I mean it's the piano finish with Spider-Man font George Foreman grill look-a-like.

Are my only options to repair this myself or send it to Sony? And can I still make a back-up of my data at this point?

Thanks for your help, guys.

Message 1 of 7 (389 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2967 posts

Re: Blinking Red Light

Nov 27, 2012

You 'MAY' be able to get to the XMB, when it starts and shows you the "not shut down properly" screen hit circle to back out of that.

If it backs out ok get to your data and get it on a usb stick ASAP!

As far as repairs, you are best off contacting SONY, they used to have an out of warranty repair/replace program that was very reasonable AND would see you up and running with the same (refurb) kind of  console.

As soon as you open the case you negate the possibility of going through sony..

Message 2 of 7 (384 Views)
First Son
9 posts

Nov 27, 2012

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. I've been watching some YouTube tutorials on how to fix my PS3 and a few on what people have experienced after sending their PS3 in for repair. From what I can ascertain sending it in will get you a refurbished PS3 in a similar generation to your original (generation 1 for a generation 1, generation 2 slim for a generation 2 slim, etc) but they won't transfer your original save data onto the refurbished system.

Now, some may say that I should 1) back-up my data before sending it in, or 2) that I should have backed it up before this happened.

1) Well, as it sits, I'm not able to get to the XMB at this point to begin the data transfer and am not even sure if the PS3 would stay on long enough for the transfer to complete. I have a about 1GB of photos, a three ripped albums for GT5 racing BGM, one demo, one purchased game, Netflix application, the PlayMemory applications (when they were free), the video editor, the Jeopardy digital game, PS2 saves and all of the rest is PS3 updates and saves. The overwhelming majority of data on my PS3 is PS3-related data and I only have about 5GB left on my drive last time I checked a couple weeks ago, so if I'm even able to begin the back-up I'm going to need at least 80GB correct?

2) From day one I've had my PS3 horizontal, in a well-ventilated area, no kids/pets, no smoking, dry environment where every so often I'd take a can of compressed air and blow out any accumulated dust as preventivie maintenance. My PS3 has never been dropped or suffered any power surges. I've never had any indication that my PS3 was about to fail, therefore never inclination to back-up my data.

Can I back-up with a USB flash drive? Can it be done with an SD card? Does it have to be a USB HDD? About how long could it take?

By no means am I bashing Sony, I'm just trying to fully explain my circumstances in an effort to receive thorough answers. Smiley Happy Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Message 3 of 7 (361 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
44884 posts

Nov 27, 2012

After my handy-dandy experience at trying to repair my own console, I cannot recommend going that route, especially when 3rd-party repair shops can now give your back your own console (and hard drive) better than new, at a cheaper price than SONY can.

Message 4 of 7 (335 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1751 posts

Nov 27, 2012

He need's to start that sucker in safe mode and reboot tha sucker!  As I had to.  The sad thing is if he dose not have Playstation Plus than he will lose alot! All saved game data downloaded games and movies

Photobucket
Message 5 of 7 (317 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2967 posts

Nov 28, 2012

Freckles13 wrote:

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. I've been watching some YouTube tutorials on how to fix my PS3 and a few on what people have experienced after sending their PS3 in for repair. From what I can ascertain sending it in will get you a refurbished PS3 in a similar generation to your original (generation 1 for a generation 1, generation 2 slim for a generation 2 slim, etc) but they won't transfer your original save data onto the refurbished system.

Now, some may say that I should 1) back-up my data before sending it in, or 2) that I should have backed it up before this happened.

1) Well, as it sits, I'm not able to get to the XMB at this point to begin the data transfer and am not even sure if the PS3 would stay on long enough for the transfer to complete. I have a about 1GB of photos, a three ripped albums for GT5 racing BGM, one demo, one purchased game, Netflix application, the PlayMemory applications (when they were free), the video editor, the Jeopardy digital game, PS2 saves and all of the rest is PS3 updates and saves. The overwhelming majority of data on my PS3 is PS3-related data and I only have about 5GB left on my drive last time I checked a couple weeks ago, so if I'm even able to begin the back-up I'm going to need at least 80GB correct?

2) From day one I've had my PS3 horizontal, in a well-ventilated area, no kids/pets, no smoking, dry environment where every so often I'd take a can of compressed air and blow out any accumulated dust as preventivie maintenance. My PS3 has never been dropped or suffered any power surges. I've never had any indication that my PS3 was about to fail, therefore never inclination to back-up my data.

Can I back-up with a USB flash drive? Can it be done with an SD card? Does it have to be a USB HDD? About how long could it take?

By no means am I bashing Sony, I'm just trying to fully explain my circumstances in an effort to receive thorough answers. Smiley Happy Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

If at all possible you should back-up before sending console for repairs, as you correctly stated, they will not transfer your data.

Even if you pulled the HDD and put it in the new system the PS3 will require a format before use, and all data is lost.

For a full backup the system will need several hours to complete that process.

If the system will run normally for short periods, you may be able to get some of the more important/non-replaceable data onto a USB stick.

Upside, anything you have ever downloaded from the PSN store is still available to be re-downloaded through the download history.

If you can, get the stuff you cant download again saved, the rest is replaceable.

Message 6 of 7 (274 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
492 posts

Nov 28, 2012

Just my opinion..I don't use compressed air, I just think it blows the dust back n forth into the PS3. I take my Dyson vaccum cleaner and suck it out of there.

Message 7 of 7 (253 Views)
0 Likes