Aug 31 2010
By: c3RAMburger Lombax Warrior 145 posts

Best racing wheel (Official)?

18 replies 27 views Edited Aug 31, 2010

After seeing the latest GT footage from Gamescom I've decided that if I get another game this year, this is definitely it.  However, it seems a racing wheel gives an advantage over DS3, correct?  If so, which is best?  I read through the official thread's listing, but I haven't had much luck with Logitech in the past when it comes to gamepads.  Are there wheels better?  Is the Logitech one here, the Official Playstation GT5 wheel any good?  Clutch pedal worth it?  I've looked through some threads but thought I'd post this to get more updated feedback as well. 

Thanks for any help.  

Message 2 of 19 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
54 posts

Re: Best racing wheel (Official)?

Aug 31, 2010

You should search the boards there is lots of information here already posted

"If your not First your Last" R.B. That doesn't make any sense at all, you can be second, third, fourth... heck you can even be fifth.
I'm Older than these Internets!
Message 1 of 19 (27 Views)
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1695 posts

Aug 31, 2010

c3RAMburger wrote:

However, it seems a racing wheel gives an advantage over DS3, correct?  If so, which is best? 

I wouldn't say there is an advantage. Some of the quickest guys use controllers.

If I were you, I would play the game with a controller first, then you can decide if you want to take the next step and buy a wheel. Either way, you'll need practice if you are new to the series.

Message 3 of 19 (27 Views)
Last Guardian
12787 posts

Aug 31, 2010

it all depends on what your budget is for a wheel, ranging from under $100, to upwards of $400 for the logitech G27

Message 4 of 19 (27 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Aug 31, 2010

I had the Logitech Driving Force Pro way back when but I just could not get the hang of it, but I did not have the fancy racing seat and what not so I am a controller racer. I would like to have a nice racing setup but I don't see that happening

Message 5 of 19 (27 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Aug 31, 2010

Fanatec  GT3 RS v2, with clubsport peddles, best for ps3 anyways.

Message 6 of 19 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
435 posts

Aug 31, 2010

Neptune15 wrote:

c3RAMburger wrote:

However, it seems a racing wheel gives an advantage over DS3, correct?  If so, which is best? 

I wouldn't say there is an advantage. Some of the quickest guys use controllers.

If I were you, I would play the game with a controller first, then you can decide if you want to take the next step and buy a wheel. Either way, you'll need practice if you are new to the series.

Controllers give more room for error than wheel users for obvious reasons. You should look to get a wheel for the experience, the immersion factor rather than for an advantage.

EMPIRE STATE OF MIND
Message 7 of 19 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
435 posts

Aug 31, 2010

GTP_mike46an2 wrote:

Fanatec  GT3 RS v2, with clubsport peddles, best for ps3 anyways.

Don't forget the Fanatec 911 Turbo S that works with EVERTHING except the Wii

EMPIRE STATE OF MIND
Message 8 of 19 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9428 posts

Aug 31, 2010

The best racing wheel is the one that does everything you want it to do.   It is a subjective topic.  If you want a wheel that basically steers, and that is all you need, then that's the wheel for you.  If you want a wheel with all of the bells and whistles, then you've got to go for the top of the line.  It's basically your choice.   Logitech is one manufacturer that supports a broad range of wheels for use with Gran Turismo. 

Message 9 of 19 (27 Views)
Lombax Warrior
128 posts

Aug 31, 2010

To me the best wheel i've used is the Logitech G25. Not used the The G27 but i have used the offical GT5p one and the feeling from the pedals is very poor although the wheel it's self is rather good.

There are advantages and disadvatges from using a wheel. If you use the wheel unlike a controller the froce feedback will try and put you of the track and therefore can make it harder to use. The pedals make it better to get the exact amount of power you want to the wheels on corners and the wheel can give you a better line.

A major thing to remember if you get a wheel is not to expect to be good with it straight away. It takes alot of practice before you can really get the times down. On the TRE site we estaminted that using a G23/27 will give you about 0'400 of a secound advantage over some one within the same skill range as your self on a track such as London doing a TT battle.

As for the guy saying theres plenty of posts about this look for them. Thats not very helpfull or constructive. Why not if your going to say that add a link to such a post?

Message 10 of 19 (27 Views)
0 Likes