Treasure Hunter
6687 posts

Re: Announcement: PlayStation Community Forum Migration Begins on Saturday, June 30th

Jul 20, 2012

No offense intended, but on a daily basis lately, you've been claiming that one thing or another will "Send someone somewhere else", or "Drive users to another game" etc.. Is this based in any type of provable fact, or is your own personal frustration with Sony and PD influencing you to make unsubstantiated claims?

I have seen no concrete evidence that GT is losing market share immensely like all the naysayers would love to believe. Please enlighten me with some actual facts and figures.

The total number of  active users on the PSN Gran Turismo Boards must be 10,000 or less. That is a miniscule fraction of the over 7 million purchasers of GT5. Not all of those users are even complaining on a regular basis.

I'm Just Sayin'...............Smiley Wink

photo Can-AmRacingFerrari350SWERVSig3_zps05defb05.jpg
Message 71 of 364 (653 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1131 posts

Re: Announcement: PlayStation Community Forum Migration Begins on Saturday, June 30th

Jul 21, 2012

Good tip but that white was way too bright for me. 

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.
Message 72 of 364 (633 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 23, 2012

WARNING: Positive Post ahead. Objects ahead may be more solid than they appear...

SWERV_GRIFFIN wrote:

No offense intended, but on a daily basis lately, you've been claiming that one thing or another will "Send someone somewhere else", or "Drive users to another game" etc.. Is this based in any type of provable fact, or is your own personal frustration with Sony and PD influencing you to make unsubstantiated claims?

I have seen no concrete evidence that GT is losing market share immensely like all the naysayers would love to believe. Please enlighten me with some actual facts and figures.

The total number of  active users on the PSN Gran Turismo Boards must be 10,000 or less. That is a miniscule fraction of the over 7 million purchasers of GT5. Not all of those users are even complaining on a regular basis.

PD still has enough clout to make another iteration, maybe even 2 before driving the stake through the heart of this franchise.

Though 7.2 million is a healthy number, it's not near the top of the charts game sales wise. When you start seeing the 20-40 million mark, then I'll get excited.

(...This part is directed at your poster SWERV, the one you're responding to...)

As for this (or any other forum) only a small percentage ever fully get involved online. Many more actually play the game online, but most only visit the forums when they have an issue and are trying to find an answer. They don't usually hang around like those of us here that call this forum a home away from home.

That said, the number of people taking part in this years GT Academy was astounding for a "niche game". You can't tell me GT or NISSAN the event's sponsor were not pleased with the million plus driver wanna-bes that turned out to give the various cars a whirl.

Nor can you say a game that can generate enough interest to have a multi part TV show spin off doesn't carry any weight.

The fact 4za had to go into "sponsoring" the track analysis for TV coverage just to get their name out there to compete speaks volumes as to just how much clout GT still carries. When was the last time you saw a GT5 commercial...? I've never seen an ad for GT5, other than as a bundle tie in with a PS3 or having the PS3 or GT as a sponsor on a real world race car.

The fact 7+ million ( and counting ) people follow a virtually ( no pun intended ) non advertised game and a million plus played the NISSAN Car Commercial Extended Director's Cut speaks volumes.

So much so that it's competitors are throwing everything they have into taking it down.

Yes, I'll agree the competition is making some headway, but it won't be until the next gen XBox that 4za can get it close, and nothing EA does will ever work right or be patched or supported enough for anyone to even care. I-Racing may be the only real threat, but until they can package it, market it and have it look as good as it needs to it's going to take awhile to gain enough momentum. They're also going to have to introduce more than just the online racing aspect, which isn't what they're about to begin with.

GT5 is a first run for the franchise online. They did a lot of things they thought "might" be appealing to a broader audience. They tried a lot of things to try and expand, broaden and or make the game less race centric without getting into too much customization. I sincerely hope they had their notebooks out and noted that most of it was fluff, and time and time again it always came back to the same wants by the community: Better control of the racing and more creative options for cars and tracks.

Even with all of the miscues and even without any real options for a player, GT5 STILL carries on and STILL has people racing in leagues and events all over the world.

Why...? Because it is still the best on or off line driving experience there is.

Even with all it's quirks and imperfections, the driving is still above and beyond anything any other console and most PC games can throw at it.

That's not to mention that as other games are winding down their support already, PD is STILL working on the game a year and a half after release. SHIFT2 got two DLC paks and a couple "fixes" and was abandoned. T10 has sold DLC car paks like mad, but still hasn't grasped the concept that they ruin their own product with self imposed limitations, not allowing some fundamental items in the one thing that sets them apart to the point it ticks off their loyal followers in not allowing for trim and chrome to be touched and in the 2nd most important factor in any racing game... Where you race. They have yet to release a single track, something fans have been asking for as much as GT5 fans have been asking for car customization options.

PD has not released a billion cars, but you don't really need them beyond some of the more recently released models, and some of those have found their way in. Yet we have had a number of tracks released: Spa, Kart Space the test track and Motegi, which has 4 complete tracks in one neat little package.

And PD can STILL add in those other things that their fans want now to boot if they wanted to, or they could save them for GT6.

Anyone can say they didn't this or that, but you can say that about ANY game. Yes, PD didn't do everything we wanted them to, but they got three critical elements right, two of which no else has even come close to yet...:

-A superior driving physics model that "feels" right 99% of the time and delivers some exception racing experiences.

-A widely varied and supplemented track list, as well as a course creator which even given it's limited ability is something other companies haven't even thought of or attempted yet.

-A decent and viable online racing experience, when it's working as it should. The people online in lounges and lobbies are the life of this game right now, and they are still at it and still getting support, new cars AND new places to race 1 1/2 plus years in, and they say there's more coming.

I personally feel, and this is strictly my opinion, that GT6 will be the make or break point for the game. GT5 was a step back, but it was by no means a failure.

It called attention to some misconceptions on the part of PD as to what the player market wanted.
It called attention to some much needed course corrections.
It is also a wake up call.

The only thing to worry about is whether they pick up the phone.

If they do, it won't matter what 4za or anyone else does.

The roof isn't caving in, the sky isn't falling and the GT universe is not collapsing, not yet.

It will take a similar GT6 let down and melt down to get that ball rolling...

With all of the ideas and fan support and suggestions and responses from PD so far, I honestly just don't see that happening. Will GT6 have everything we wanted and more..? Maybe, but likely not. But we will see something, we will see some of the things we carry on about here in the game. I don't believe Sr. Kaz is a man that likes unfinished business, and right now he knows he has some. That alone tells me we have something to look forward to.

So as SWERV states, until you have numbers to back up this "decline" of GT civilization...

Even as skeptic, pessimistic, critical and opinionated as I am... I don't see it. 

Photobucket
Message 73 of 364 (608 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
16264 posts

Jul 23, 2012
gt is at the top of ps3 game sales, like its has been with the ps and ps2.

Message 74 of 364 (603 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8245 posts

Jul 23, 2012

harley7 wrote:

That's incorrect.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=&publisher=&platform=PS3&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

GT5 is the top racing and PS3-exclusive title, but a distant fifth on overall PS3 game sales.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=&publisher=&platform=PS2&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

GT3 is 3rd with GT4 5th on PS2 overall game sales, clogging the rest of the top 5 (first, second, fourth) are the various Grand Theft Autos (which were PS3-exclusive for a while).

Message 75 of 364 (585 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6687 posts

Jul 24, 2012

clacksman wrote:

harley7 wrote:

That's incorrect.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=&publisher=&platform=PS3&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

GT5 is the top racing and PS3-exclusive title, but a distant fifth on overall PS3 game sales.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=&publisher=&platform=PS2&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

GT3 is 3rd with GT4 5th on PS2 overall game sales, clogging the rest of the top 5 (first, second, fourth) are the various Grand Theft Autos (which were PS3-exclusive for a while).

Man, I KNEW that was a huge mistake, sending Kartracer my un-played copy of Grand Theft Auto IV.

For FREE, no less.

You mean to tell me I GAVE AWAY the best game out there??

Silly Me.......................Smiley Very Happy

photo Can-AmRacingFerrari350SWERVSig3_zps05defb05.jpg
Message 76 of 364 (607 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

Jul 24, 2012

SWERV_GRIFFIN wrote:

Man, I KNEW that was a huge mistake, sending Kartracer my un-played copy of Grand Theft Auto IV.

For FREE, no less.

You mean to tell me I GAVE AWAY the best game out there??

Silly Me.......................Smiley Very Happy

LOLs... Smiley Very Happy

At least you know it went to a good home...

Photobucket
Message 77 of 364 (593 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
45098 posts

Oct 4, 2012

If you use a narrow screen, you should notice a change to the page width that happened overnight.

Everyone should now be able to always see the red envelope when you have received a PM now. As far as I know, this change originated from a request from the PSN forum, so don't be afraid to speak up when something isn't right.

One change that I will have to request a rollback on is that Lithium's editor does not auto-capitalise new sentences anymore. Smiley Sad

Message 78 of 364 (573 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Oct 4, 2012

SWERV_GRIFFIN wrote:

I think this was directed at me, though I'm not positive...

I should clarify that I was speaking of a lack of ability to customize our experience while here on this forum, which may lead people to prefer not to use it.

I would like to see our custom avatars return.  Not just have the forum show the avatar that you choose on your PS3 account.  They can oficiate that easily enough with a report system like they do for posts.

The choices of avatars is extremely limiting, and they should not ask us to pay for additional ones.  I loathe the idea of paying for a picture or cloting for my character in "Home".  It's not real content like a car is real.  You can drive that car, feel it.  Use it.  You get something out of it.  I do not like the emphasis on purchasing clothing and avatars through PSN.  It's a gimmick and I hate to see people fall for it.

The censorship "bug" from a few weeks ago and things like not being able to use customizable avatars on the forum are things that "resemble a chain" as I said in the post you appeared to be responding to.  People don't like to be chained down in the way they experience digital content.  Especially in the US.  We have a culture of liberty that, while it is dying, is still stronger than anywhere else in the world.  We don't want to be controlled and put into a box.  My point was that if SONY doesn't understand that and allow us the use of custom avatars, then it could make some of us who were accustomed to having that freedom, to go to other forums where we still have it.

I wasn't speaking of people leaving GT.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 79 of 364 (563 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2087 posts

Oct 4, 2012
One thing I would like to see is the page selection added to the top of the screen on the mobile version. Always having to scroll to the bottom on my phone takes time. I'm not too upset about it but it certainly would make it easier to skip to a certain page.
 photo 3da2a2f2-f5ac-48ee-92a6-ef916fe7b8b4.jpg
Message 80 of 364 (560 Views)
0 Likes