Gaming Beast
2087 posts

Re: A Tuning Exercise: RUF Yellow Bird '87

Feb 20, 2013

BANG_N_OLUFSEN wrote:

I understand that different tracks may require a modified tune on many cars.

The thing that frustrates me most with the RUF is it's inconsistency. A Ford GT for instance can be a handful to drive with a stock tune and Comfort soft tires. Once the Ford is tuned well, it's very predictable and extremely fun to drive. The RUF on the other hand is unpredictable even with a fine tune. It will snap into terminal oversteer the second it has any significant weight distribution change. Any car be driven quick if we can understand that cars limits and those limits stay consistent. I cannot get the RUF to stay within anything but a razors edge range of acceptable handling, because of it's inconsistent behavior.

This truly is a tuning exercise!

BANG

So...what you're saying is, it's consistently a pain in the neck to drive?? lol I'd say so. 

photo 3da2a2f2-f5ac-48ee-92a6-ef916fe7b8b4.jpg
Message 61 of 81 (326 Views)
Gaming Beast
1665 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 20, 2013

The lack of time I have, and the lack of fun I was having were the two reasons I had to forego participation in this exercise. I am not discounting the validity in any way as it is most definitely making you all better drivers for it.  On the occasions that I drive the Yellow Bird I do so on Sport Soft or Race Hard  so that I can enjoy the ride, it's not that I don't welcome a challenge but time is precious and IMO Rufs weren't meant for less tire than what I mentioned. The distance between front and back axles is feet less than most cars, same power just less distance  between pivot points, (same thing with the Renault sport cars just a little less power to manage). I do know from personal experience that the 911 targa is nothing like this in real life, sure you can drift it but there is always grip when you lighten up on the throttle. It makes me wonder if they over compensated for the lack of driveline. Not that it doesn't have one, just that it's only a couple feet long. Just my 2 cents.

Photobucket
Message 62 of 81 (311 Views)
I Only Post Everything
967 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 20, 2013

Here are my tunes from last night.  Still need a lot of work.  Tunes were based on "Photo Finish Racing".

Chassis Reinforcement installed.

For SPA

Max Power (HP)Weight (kg)  Performance Points 
4741250  523 

SuspensionFrontRear Weight Adjustment 
Ride Height Adjustment (mm)020 Ballast Amount (kg)100
Sorung Rate (kgf/mm)8.411.7 Ballast Position-48
Dampers (Extension)74   
Dampers (Compression)37 Power Limiter 
Anti-Roll Bars44 Power Level (%)99.8
Camber Angle (-)1.02.5   
Toe Angle-0.240.37 Transmission 
    Top Speed (Top Right)182
LSDFrontRear 1st Gear2.796
Initial Torque040 2nd Gear2.170
Acceleration Sensitivity043 3rd Gear1.770
Braking Sensitivity050 4th Gear1.420
    5th Gear1.163
Brake Balance ControllerFrontRear 6th Gear0.978
Brake Balance85 Final Gear3.135
    Top Speed (Bottom Right)149

For Suzuka

Max Power (HP)Weight (kg)  Performance Points 
4741260  522 

SuspensionFrontRear Weight Adjustment 
Ride Height Adjustment (mm)020 Ballast Amount (kg)110
Sorung Rate (kgf/mm)8.411.7 Ballast Position-48
Dampers (Extension)74   
Dampers (Compression)37 Power Limiter 
Anti-Roll Bars34 Power Level (%)99.8
Camber Angle (-)1.02.5   
Toe Angle-0.240.37 Transmission 
    Top Speed (Top Right)174
LSDFrontRear 1st Gear3.000
Initial Torque06 2nd Gear2.265
Acceleration Sensitivity015 3rd Gear1.780
Braking Sensitivity08 4th Gear1.420
    5th Gear1.163
Brake Balance ControllerFrontRear 6th Gear0.978
Brake Balance85 Final Gear3.280
    Top Speed (Bottom Right)149
 photo d58a8f35-0ed4-4d38-b0a5-3fd612962a2f_zps9243b7ef.png
Message 63 of 81 (307 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1312 posts

Feb 20, 2013

jaejsteele wrote:

The lack of time I have, and the lack of fun I was having were the two reasons I had to forego participation in this exercise. I am not discounting the validity in any way as it is most definitely making you all better drivers for it.  On the occasions that I drive the Yellow Bird I do so on Sport Soft or Race Hard  so that I can enjoy the ride, it's not that I don't welcome a challenge but time is precious and IMO Rufs weren't meant for less tire than what I mentioned. The distance between front and back axles is feet less than most cars, same power just less distance  between pivot points, (same thing with the Renault sport cars just a little less power to manage). I do know from personal experience that the 911 targa is nothing like this in real life, sure you can drift it but there is always grip when you lighten up on the throttle. It makes me wonder if they over compensated for the lack of driveline. Not that it doesn't have one, just that it's only a couple feet long. Just my 2 cents.

actually anyone that has driven older 911's near or at the limit will tell you the same thing. the limit doesn't sneak up on you, it suddenly and without any warning punches you right in the face!!!  the  911's back side  have always been predictably lose at the limits.   no one here ever races/ drives their cars at the limits IRL like we do here in gt5. so it's very difficult to compare real life handling with what the game came up with. plus the 911 targa has consideraly less hp then the yellow bird, again hard to compare. i have driven many fast cars over the years. the one's that scared me the most were the older porsches! my bro in law has a beautiful 1982(i think 1982) flat nose 930 with about 500 hp, that puckered my backside the first time i got on it. it got sideways really really really easy. fun to drive yes, but definately a big handful when you push it.   

Message 64 of 81 (283 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Feb 20, 2013

what I noticed about this car is that even when tuned there is a limit that is much different than the limits other cars possess.

usually when you get hooked up and exit a corner and then there is a sweeping high speed corner, you can really push the car,  but this particular RUF will not allow it.  There's still a limit where the torque of the rear wheels send the car sideways.

Any time the trajectory of your car is not faced fully forward completely straight, there IS a torque value that will spin the car around.

after a while I got used to where that limit was and knew what not to do, however I still had a hard time listening to the "rules" I had set up for myself.

I managed a relatively clean several races, but yes it was a fight the entire time.

One thing for sure is that I remembered Clacksman saying he shifted a bit early, and when I remembered to do that in the race, I had much better results.

So most of the time people short shift to help exit corners, but continue short shifting in this car even when you are in that high speed sweeper because as I said, there is a still a point where that car will let go after a torque value has been exceeded.  short shifting keeps the torque value from ever being exceeded.  It may seem like you're shifting far too early, but you are actually still in the power band when the shift is completed.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 65 of 81 (273 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
967 posts

Feb 20, 2013

Indeed, as stated by tuner CSLACR from Photo Finish Racing: "Notes: Shift at 6400RPM, she still tries to kill you, just isn't as good at it."

photo d58a8f35-0ed4-4d38-b0a5-3fd612962a2f_zps9243b7ef.png
Message 66 of 81 (261 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44761 posts

Feb 20, 2013

Short-shifting sure helped, but I must have made a change that made the car oversteer through that lefthander. At one point, I could power through it, but, later, the car either went too wide or spun anticlockwise.

Message 67 of 81 (260 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8245 posts

Feb 20, 2013

MastrGT wrote:

.... but I must have made a change that made the car oversteer through that lefthander. At one point, I could power through it, but, later, the car either went too wide or spun anticlockwise.

That sounds like maybe you were going too long without a chassis refresh.

Message 68 of 81 (247 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44761 posts

Feb 20, 2013

I did an engine rebuild and chassis refresh before the races.

Message 69 of 81 (243 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Feb 20, 2013

well one thing I definitely found was true more so in this car than others, is that tire wear drastically changed its behavior.  I only had a little more in the rear than front (wear that is) so it wasn't that it became imbalanced (more than it was), but more that it lost some of the traction it once had and wasn't as easy to control its wild side.

Leave it to MasterGT to take us out to race in the "wild" with perhaps the wildest car in the game... lol

goos times for sure

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 70 of 81 (238 Views)
0 Likes