I Only Post Everything
866 posts

Re: A Tuning Exercise: RUF Yellowbird

Feb 5, 2013

NumbSkuld wrote:

hey6541 wrote:

sports med should be perfect for what mastr is doing. sport tires are always great for improving one car control.

Yes....This is going to be a great MNR challenge.  I just watched a couple of Ruf Yellowbird at Nürburgring videos on YouTube.  Wow, it looks like really hard work.  (The driver is Stefan Roser. He was the RUF test driver back in the 80/90's. The Yellowbird in that video was set up specifically to show off Stefan's high speed drifting skills... ie; set up to oversteer even more than that model of 911 already did.)

That is way more work drifting, than I want to put in for a lap at the Ring! I need to tame the beast, not send a smoke cloud up at every corner! LOL

BANG

photo BANGNOLUFSENSigPic4_zpsa53ba0de.jpg
Message 11 of 81 (387 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8245 posts

Feb 5, 2013

NumbSkuld wrote:

clacksman wrote:

MastrGT wrote: ... on High Speed Ring, since the track is relatively short and it has sweeping curves and the S-curves. That will be similar to the real tracks we will use, which will be Spa and Suzuka ...

I wouldn't say that is true.  Banking puts a much different load into the car than a road course will.

I was thinking of using GVS or DF (or their shorter variances) to test the tunes later on.  Any other suggestions on the tracks?

GV-east is the best short test track IMO.  Having siad that, you know you need to be ready for Spa and Suzuka so why not go straight there?

A stock car (485hp 1150kg 534pp with 2/0 brakes) on S-m tires goes ~2'40 at Spa.  Is the ballast weight going to be required?

Message 12 of 81 (386 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
967 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 5, 2013

clacksman wrote:

GV-east is the best short test track IMO.  Having siad that, you know you need to be ready for Spa and Suzuka so why not go straight there?

A stock car (485hp 1150kg 534pp with 2/0 brakes) on S-m tires goes ~2'40 at Spa.  Is the ballast weight going to be required?

The shorter track should allow me to test various tunes for consistency (Especially with the Ruf YB).  Once I get comfortable with a specific tune, then I will head over to the longer tracks such as Spa and Suzuka.

I suspect that adding the front ballast is to take away the tail happiness nature of the car.  I could be wrong though.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to remove then add the weighs back in?

Really want to get to GT5 and tune the car now...but I still have 4 hours of work to do.  Smiley Sad

photo d58a8f35-0ed4-4d38-b0a5-3fd612962a2f_zps9243b7ef.png
Message 13 of 81 (382 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
45123 posts

Feb 5, 2013

clacksman wrote:

MastrGT wrote: ... on High Speed Ring, since the track is relatively short and it has sweeping curves and the S-curves. That will be similar to the real tracks we will use, which will be Spa and Suzuka ...

I wouldn't say that is true.  Banking puts a much different load into the car than a road course will.

Yes, it does just fine as a simple, curvaceous short track with small set of controlled radius curves, and it sure showed off the weakness to overseer a lot. If you go to the longer tracks, you don't get the same number of repetitions, that's all, and I had to start somewhere.

The car already had a tune on it, but I don't remember it's pedigree, so I just used it as a starting point. I will start over, now that I have a feel for it. It also gave me the same lap time as above.

Message 14 of 81 (378 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1090 posts

Feb 5, 2013
Wow,Until you posted this thread I had no idea that quite a few players had difficulty driving this car. It's a blast to master and toss round the tracks .
I'm gonna try to make this one. But I have entered a couple of league races already and one day or two has to go. Like my Sundays and Mondays.
" A defeat is good for the character if you take it the right way."

Who said it?
Message 15 of 81 (375 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
45123 posts

Feb 5, 2013

NumbSkuld wrote:

MastrGT, just want to confirm, we are goinig to run Sports Medium (not Racing Medium) with this beast?  The massive amount of HP on the rear axle and less grippy tires is going to be a case for Tumble Dryer running on track.

no_affiliations, I will have to wait until 4:30/5 PM EST before I can join you.

Yes, these tires are close the N2s we used for a GT4 time trial competition, a few years ago, just before Prologue came out. With those tires, we took over half a minute out of Stephan's time and probably offer close to the same amount of grip as the SMs, probably less.

There is another video which has some helicopter shots of his Nurburgring run. He taxis passengers around the Ring, too. The throw on that stickshift is huge. Smiley Tongue

Message 16 of 81 (371 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
45123 posts

Feb 5, 2013

To make it easier to follow, after you have posted a tune, re-edit the same post with updates.

Message 17 of 81 (356 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8245 posts

Feb 5, 2013

clacksman wrote:  Is the ballast weight going to be required?

???

Stock car with the racing parts down to 2'36.7 at Spa.   Power dies after 6000rpm so I'm upshifting there.

Race trans at default settings except moved to 3.55 final was pretty good.

Moved the individual gears a bit, gained about 1.5 seconds.  Now 2.4 1.7 1.33 1.03 .819 .7

Not far off my initial guess suspension tune (0 toe, 2.2/0.8 camber, rest default):

Didn't touch ride height because the car sometimes goes BANG on the left-side curb entering Eau Rouge so I doubt lower will help lap times.

More rear spring (10.0) was slower with no tangible difference to how it drove so I went back to 8.0.  

1/7 bars helped stabilize the back, maybe a little worse at applying power, but faster by ~.3.  Kept that.

Initial LSD guess was 35/20/5 based on that usually being good for a car with the drive wheels at the same end as the engine.  

Tried higher decel for corner entry stability which worked a bit but cost more than 1 second per lap so I took that out.

Still ABS-free 2/0 brakes, but it will slightly lock the rears when braking hard with a downshift so I'll probably go to 3 on the front.

It's now pretty good at turning in without killing me.  50% throttle settles the back while turning (same as stock suspension).

Message 18 of 81 (352 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1312 posts

Feb 5, 2013

F1Cheetor wrote:
Wow,Until you posted this thread I had no idea that quite a few players had difficulty driving this car. It's a blast to master and toss round the tracks .
I'm gonna try to make this one. But I have entered a couple of league races already and one day or two has to go. Like my Sundays and Mondays.

it's prolly not that it's so difficult. rather that certain turns on certain tracks will make tail happy cars such as the yellowbird spin just by simply taking the turn. that is until you tune the tail happy spin out of it. i agree with you though, this car is a blast to drive.

Message 19 of 81 (348 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
45123 posts

Feb 5, 2013

Ballast is not required.

Message 20 of 81 (347 Views)
0 Likes