Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
3023 posts

Re: A Tuning Exercise: RUF Yellow Bird '87

Feb 10, 2013

All you have to do is show up!  (and have your car ready to go.)  The event info is here:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Gran-Turismo-Events/Monday-Night-Racing/m-p/38013855#U3801385...

The  room # gets posted when MastrGT opens it.

Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 81 (339 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1576 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 10, 2013

I tried tuning the Ruf and had about the same success as everyone else, slower than some of course. It got me wondering who would actually take their 100k+ car out on the street with such a sketchy outcome though. I did a little research and found that most Porsches leave the lot with Michelin PS2's,  2k dollar tires that last between 17k and 40k miles. The question I have would be which tire would that be in the game, the Ruf is 10 times easier to drive on sport soft tires and that is why I bring it up. 

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 81 (331 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41470 posts

Feb 10, 2013

MNR = Monday Night Racing

The link to the race details is in my signature or the EVents sub-forum.

Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 81 (312 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41470 posts

Feb 10, 2013

jaejsteele wrote:

the Ruf is 10 times easier to drive on sport soft tires and that is why I bring it up. 

I was going to see if GT4's N2s were similar to Comfort Softs.

They didn't work as well. :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 81 (310 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1044 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 10, 2013

jaejsteele wrote:

I tried tuning the Ruf and had about the same success as everyone else, slower than some of course. It got me wondering who would actually take their 100k+ car out on the street with such a sketchy outcome though. I did a little research and found that most Porsches leave the lot with Michelin PS2's,  2k dollar tires that last between 17k and 40k miles. The question I have would be which tire would that be in the game, the Ruf is 10 times easier to drive on sport soft tires and that is why I bring it up. 

PS2s would be comfort softs, handling wise. Sports hards or mediums would be closer to the PS2's forward acceleration grip...

Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 81 (296 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3023 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 10, 2013

So I just completed a little experiment with traction control and this car.  "3" seems to be where you begin to gain any benifet from TCS to prevent slipping while entering a corner through the apex.  Unfortunatly with it set this high it hinders the straight line acceleration to the point that my BEST lap was still .9 second / lap off my initial  "0" TCS High Speed Ring benchmark.  (Note this was still using SM tires.)

I thought it was a rather interesting result.

Please use plain text.
Message 46 of 81 (292 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41470 posts

Feb 10, 2013

Just for reference, Renault had to go to Michelin Pilot Sports just to keep Clio Sport V6s from running off the road.

They are pretty sticky tires.

Please use plain text.
Message 47 of 81 (286 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1312 posts

Feb 11, 2013

Tease3211 wrote:

So I just completed a little experiment with traction control and this car.  "3" seems to be where you begin to gain any benifet from TCS to prevent slipping while entering a corner through the apex.  Unfortunatly with it set this high it hinders the straight line acceleration to the point that my BEST lap was still .9 second / lap off my initial  "0" TCS High Speed Ring benchmark.  (Note this was still using SM tires.)

I thought it was a rather interesting result.

traction control in the game is really more of a hindrance then anything else. it  really hurts me on the higher speed turns, as well as the exit speed of all other turns.

Please use plain text.
Message 48 of 81 (254 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41470 posts

Feb 17, 2013

I have worked on my tune(s) a bit more, especially after restarting from scratch. I tuned it the best I could with no added weight, but there was too much understeer. More like too much tire wear, since they were sliding on curves even without the application of brakes or too much entry speed. Thanks for your company the other day, Numbskuld, although I never did get much drafting practice.

I also tried clacksman's tune, but it was unmanageable the way it was, so I put weight on the front, but more importantly, I reversed his rollbar settings (1/7) to 6/1. I tried 7/1, but it was just too stiff and less wasn't quite enough. The rollbar settings alone made it less of a rolling coffin, in my hands. It also follows Gar529's suggestions for just spring and rollbar control of the car. I went as far as I could with some of these settings, but this car needs more than what GT5 can give it.

Although I haven't put any of my own effort into the gears yet, using clacksman's gear settings certainly made a beneficial difference, so I have kept them. Using the car's torque also follows what I learned from a kart series that I entered a while ago, but it also works because of the severe drop-off in power and torque that you can see in the Y-B's power/torque graph.

On the two courses picked for Monday, Spa and Suzuka, the car struggles still. However, the really good news is that the Yellow Bird handles like a dream on Nurburgring, now! I spent two laps without tire squealing or accidents of any kind, and I got a few seconds faster time than I ever got doing the same thing in GT4, in just one full lap. The car probably handles better now in GT5 than the real one does. :smileyvery-happy: My time spent on this, so far, is worth it for this alone.

The goal here is not only to go fast in a difficult car, but to learn how to adjust it to control it better. I am not finished with doing this yet, but it certainly is a lot better than when I started. The new tune will be added to the top post and I will leave the original one posted, too, because it also handles OK, for me. It's just not as fast.

Please use plain text.
Message 49 of 81 (193 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3023 posts

Feb 17, 2013

I just tweaked mine a tad too, a little off the brake pressure & slightly less brake force but more torque/accel out of the Limited Slip Diff.  Have to watch a couple corners on Suzuka... but overall lap times improved slightly. 

Please use plain text.
Message 50 of 81 (189 Views)
0 Likes