Jun 06 2011
By: Guido31 Lombax Warrior 236 posts

599 laps at Tsukaba....

13 replies 43 views Edited Jun 6, 2011

...kill me now.

So I ran the 9 hour this weekend in a 'competitive' car, I used one of the 350Z cars that fit into the window of HP that the opponents had.  I ran it stock, just adjusted the transmission for a lower top speed.

I took pit stops every 30 minutes, roughly every 33 or 34 laps, at that point the tires were getting squirrely and I had used just under 50% of my fuel load.  The AI cars stayed out until they practically ran out of gas, which is a glaring error in the endurance races in this game, their tires could be down to the rims and the AI will keep going because they still have some fuel in the tank. I was lapping between 52 and 54 seconds in general depending on traffic, best lap was 50.190. 

I have to say, I will never do that again.  I have always found Tsukaba to be boring, but 599 laps of that was pure torture after the first 100 or so. 

Anyone else run this in a competitive car yet?  If so, would you do it again?  I was on call this weekend, so I really could not leave the house which inspired the 9 hour race, the next time I am on call I will be tackling the 24 hour race at Le Mans.  Hopefully I will have a car to run it in.

Message 1 of 14 (43 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3272 posts

Re: 599 laps at Tsukaba....

Jun 6, 2011

I refuse to do any of the endurance races untill they release the patch that adds the mid-race save feature.   Yeah, I know a bunch of you hard-core fanboys are going to flame me, but I don't care, I just don't have that kind of time to do them in one sitting.

Message 2 of 14 (43 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
231 posts

Jun 6, 2011

I've run the 4hr on the 'Ring.. it took me 5 hours total with a couple of breaks in there. Longest stint I ran was about 90 minutes. Not too bad of a time.

9 hours at Tsukuba is my next endurance race, but I'll spread it over 2 days with a bit of sleep thrown in. Can't see myself running 10 or 11 hours just to complete it in one day. It's an overnight run for the box, whilst the driver catches up with rest.

Message 3 of 14 (43 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2952 posts

Jun 6, 2011

I've been running one or two endurance races myself lately ... I did the MX-5 4-hour Tsukuba Endurance. I spent the first two hours talking to my brother who was playing MotorStorm: Apocalypse, then brought my laptop down (whilst parked at the side of the road, don't want to waste time pausing it of course    You can afford to lose 4 of the 15 laps you've built after some time) and loaded a bunch of YouTube videos that I'd been meaning to watch and watched all of those ... then spent the last hour concentrating on the race and it was actually a really enjoyable experience. Few days later I did the Nurburgring 4-hour Endurance in the GT by Citroen Race Car. I just wanted to run Racing Soft tyres to enjoy putting in as quick a lap as I could, but this caused me to pit every 2 laps ... didn't notice this until Lap 3 though haha ... wasn't even half way round the track and my tyres were dead. It was a painful crawl to the pit lane from there ... I lost my 1 minute lead and exited the pits in last, well over 2 minutes behind the leader haha. Spent the next few laps catching up, pitting every 2 laps, but the GT by Citroen is considerably faster, so it wasn't a problem. Those frequent little 40 second breaks were enough to run to the kitchen, get a drink, a biscuit, etc. haha ... Endurance races are what you make them I guess ... I try and find things to do and barely concentrate on the race.

Surger
Message 4 of 14 (43 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
236 posts

Jun 6, 2011

I have actually really enjoyed all of the endurance races with the exception of this one.  9 hours on a track with lap times in the 1 minute range just feels wrong.  I really enjoyed the 4 hour race at the ring.  The Suzuka 1000k was a bit tedious, but only because it rained the whole time, making it difficult to lap cleanly. 

All told the 9 hour took me most of the day, I stopped to watch a baseball game when I was 6.5 hours through, so I had a long 3 hour break.  I took breaks every hour or so which helps.  I had to strech and flex my arms and legs a bit, the force feedback and the hovering of your foot about the brake pedal can cause some aches and pains. 

It's a bit annoying that we get 2 endurance races on Tsukaba.  I felt like the 9 hour on this track was just too much, it was not that I was tired or frustrated, but it's such a boring track.  I am looking forward the the Le Mans race though. 

Message 5 of 14 (43 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1975 posts

Jun 6, 2011

I agree, Tsukuba has to be the absolute worst of the endurance races thus far.  Hated it.

Now I'm trying to decide if I'll do the two 24 hour races. I did them both back in GT4, but I'm not sure I want to commit at least three days a piece to these two races.  I'd like to do a competitive car in these two if I do them, like I did at Tsukuba, but it seems to me that because the AI can run their tires down to the rims, and therefore pit less often than I will, that it might be pretty difficult to stay ahead in these two events.

Old age is not for sissies.
Message 6 of 14 (43 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Jun 6, 2011

do we really have any way of knowing how much wear the AI get on their tires?  Couldn't a huge part of the reason they are not getting as fast of laps as we, human players get even with the same car, could be because they are driving much more conservatively with respect to tire wear?

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 7 of 14 (43 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2171 posts

Jun 6, 2011

I tried the 9 hour race awhile back. Made it two hours before I quit. I found it mind numbingly boring lol. Even if they do implement a mid race save for endurance races I still probably won't attempt any race over 4 hours in A spec.

Message 8 of 14 (43 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3272 posts

Jun 6, 2011

exXboxFan wrote:

do we really have any way of knowing how much wear the AI get on their tires?  Couldn't a huge part of the reason they are not getting as fast of laps as we, human players get even with the same car, could be because they are driving much more conservatively with respect to tire wear?

A very good, point, I also suspect they are using a harder tire compound which would last longer.

Message 9 of 14 (43 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
236 posts

Jun 6, 2011

In A-Spec no, but I would imagine it's the same for B-Spec.  In B-Spec you can switch to their car view, and look at what their current status is, including their tire condition and fuel load.  Yes, they are nicer to their tires, but their lap times continually degrade, and eventually they stop because they are nearly out of gas. 

I ran almost 600 laps, the opponents finished with around 530 or 540 depending on the car, from what I could see, the number two car only pit every 110 to 120 laps.  I understand they are being more conservative, but their lap times justify that they should pit earlier.

Think of it this way, say the AI is running 1:00 flat laps at the start of a stint.  It costs just about 50 seconds of track position to pit stop.  40 laps into the stint, the AI is now running 1:08, constantly losing control coming out of the hairpins.  At this point they should pit, they are losing 8 seconds a lap to the cars on fresher tires.  Instead, they don't pit, staying out for 60 more laps until they are nearly out of fuel, that whole time running times that 8 to 10 seconds off of cars with fresh tires. 

I did not get a good look at what was going on when I did the Nurburgring 4 hour, unfortunately you only get to see the pits every few minutes.  At Tsukaba, it's much more obvious because the track is small enough to observe the pits more easily on the mini-map.

Message 10 of 14 (43 Views)
0 Likes