Treasure Hunter
7918 posts

Re: 24 Hours of Le Mans completed in A Spec

Jan 25, 2011

I don't understand what you mean by banking? Can somone explain this

"I did the 9hr race with the X1 and only had to sit and actually race  about 6 1/2  hours out of 9, letting my car sit off the track as I had  put so many laps on the AI." Wouldn't you just want to keep going and finish it? What is the point of waiting? Any clarification is appreciated.

Photobucket
Message 11 of 25 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
74 posts

Jan 25, 2011

I found a huge advantage racing in the rain ( roughly 16 hours of the 24) because I was running between 2:25:00 and 2:35:00 and they were running 4:43:00 ballpark and that allowed me to rack up huge banked laps. I can't tell you how many times i was up 109 laps and would take a bathroom break and come back to 90-95 laps up. I was pitting every 9 laps to refuel and never came close to losing grip in tires but it makes you chose replacements anyway.

I found if I parked my car in a corner in second gear it would stay there indefinitely. Look forward to trying the e brake trick though.

Message 12 of 25 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
74 posts

Jan 25, 2011

Cool trick with the e brake, wish i knew that a few hours agoSmiley Wink

I was turning laps in the rain with rain intermediate at 2.28.00 average then realized as the sun came up (in the game) that i could try soft slicks and started to run very fast at 2.20:00 on average.

I have to say that as a person that owns just about every racing game from the last 20 years that I am blown away with the lighting this game has. The day to night and back again transitions are the most incredible thing this player has ever seen in a racing game. Truly mind blowing.

I paused the game a lot yesterday but today I left it running when I had to run out. If I would have sat the whole time I figure I could have run close to 600 laps give or take a bit. One thing I did have to do was disconnect the power cord from my G25 as the X2010 shakes your arms like crazy even when having the force feedback at 1 and I have mine set to 3. It's just insane and I hope they fix it but if they haven't supported the G wheels yet I see no reason to think they will any time soon.

I dreaded doing the 24 but now I look forward to the next one at Norshlief ( to tired to look up spelling). A friend and I are going to do the Le Mans again alongside the real time race to see how we do.

Message 13 of 25 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3586 posts

Jan 25, 2011

I think I got my force feedback on 5 or 6 with my G25 wheel and don't have shake like that.  In fact when I go down the back stretch on that track I see the car shaking visually, remember how much my wheel (driving force Pro at the time) used to shake on that track in GT4, but doesn't for me in GT5 with my current wheel.  And all you have your force feedback set on was 3??

Now I'm worried my wheel don't work right. 

photo PSForumSigPic1_zps15f972f0.png
Message 14 of 25 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
870 posts

Jan 25, 2011

Elite_Pyro wrote:

"I did the 9hr race with the X1 and only had to sit and actually race  about 6 1/2  hours out of 9, letting my car sit off the track as I had  put so many laps on the AI." Wouldn't you just want to keep going and finish it? What is the point of waiting? Any clarification is appreciated.

"Banking" is what is meant when you have a lead, usually large, over the AI cars.  If you are on lap 100, and the AI cars are on lap 50, you have 50 laps "in the bank".

What is the point of waiting?  Because it's a timed race.  No matter how many laps you do, the race will not be over until the time limit is up.  And if you already have a commanding lead over the AI cars, there is no need to sit there and race for hours and hours when you don't have to.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.mygranturismo.net/10464             1041 unique vehicles.....let's trade

Thanks to the 1.07 update, this has been reduced to 936 tradeable vehicles

Tickets: LVL 5/9/12/17/21/24/1000                  Birthday Tickets: 1998 thru 2010

Vehicles currently set to borrow on dharbert1 : Camaro SS Edge Special, X2010 Prototype, FGT, Chaparral 2J, Silverado SS, ZR-1 RM.     I have one slot open, so if you would like to borrow a specific vehicle, PM me and I will add it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 15 of 25 (115 Views)
First Son
28 posts

Jan 25, 2011

In a timed endurance race it does not matter how many laps you do or how fast you go, who ever is in first at the end of the time limit, wins. With the X1 you can get sooo many laps ahead of the AI, in the 9 hour one I think I got close to 200 at one point, you can simply park the car on the side of the road. Leaving the game unpaused so the timer still runs. This way you can get the race done with out having to get the race done. Letting the computer catch up on those extra laps you have "banked".

This makes these types of races far less painful to do.

Message 16 of 25 (115 Views)
Splicer
74 posts

Jan 25, 2011

By banking I mean that if I get say 50 laps ahead and it takes say 5 minutes a lap  for the fastest AI car then I have a little over 4 hours to let my car sit idling on the track to kill time. I'm sure others have their own way of explaining it or assigning a name to it. For me it;s banking laps.

Message 17 of 25 (115 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7918 posts

Jan 25, 2011

Oh thank you everyone I understand it now! I didn't know that there is no set amount of laps, which is why I was so confused. That makes sense, however I think it's testing my ole' 60GB PS3 more than it's testing me...

Photobucket
Message 18 of 25 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3586 posts

Jan 25, 2011

Elite_Pyro wrote:

If you're doing a 9 hour race, you have to do 9 hours no matter how many laps you do.  So if you start the race using the X1, because it's so much faster you can pass the entire field of cars in 3-4 laps.  In about 2 hours I put the AI cars apx 54 laps down.  At that point if I wanted to take a break, I could pull my car off to the side of the track and park it.  The AI takes apx a hour or more to do 54 laps because they are so much slower.  So I can leave the game running, letting the time tick away and take a long break.  Do this several times during a race keeps you laps ahead of the AI where you can take long breaks and don't actually have to sit behind the wheel for the entire 9 hours.

Does that makes since?

photo PSForumSigPic1_zps15f972f0.png
Message 19 of 25 (115 Views)
Splicer
74 posts

Jan 25, 2011

"

15. Jan 24, 2011 8:16 PM                              (in response to Elite_Pyro)

In  a timed endurance race it does not matter how many laps you do or how  fast you go, who ever is in first at the end of the time limit, wins.  With the X1 you can get sooo many laps ahead of the AI, in the 9 hour  one I think I got close to 200 at one point, you can simply park the car  on the side of the road. Leaving the game unpaused so the timer still  runs. This way you can get the race done with out having to get the race  done. Letting the computer catch up on those extra laps you have  "banked".

This makes these types of races far less painful to do."

The laps do count in endurance racing. The winner is the car still running that has accumulated the most laps (miles or kilometers). If driver A has 400 laps and the next car, car B has 311 and the B car crosses the line first because car A is half way around on lap 401 when the time runs out, the win still goes to car A. He/she ran the most miles and was still running at the end.

If it was as described I would do 1 lap amd then park one inch away from the finish line and not bother doing the 24 hours because I would be assured of crossing the line first when the checkered flag waves. Nope it doesn't work like that.

Message 20 of 25 (115 Views)
0 Likes