At the moment, it seems I have either no way to recover from old saves or I have no idea what I am doing wrong.
I saved to a different memory card and donated a 1965 to DaletonaDave.
I went back to the XMB and saw no way to copy the file back to the hard drive.
I had already signed out of the PSN for my self-imposed 72hour Ban when I saw this post. As this post has to do with helping someone, and not debating, I signed back in for a minute or three.
Here are detailed insrtuctions on sending and restoring. If they won't work on your system , there is likely something else going on with some component of your setup.
Gamesave Restore Instructions
Here is the correct process with USB Drive already inserted in PS3:
1) Receive anything that you have been gifted
2) Immediately hit Save button on left side of My Page screen
3) Quit Gran Turismo 5 by pressing PS3 button and selecting Quit Game, make sure HDD light has stopped flashing first.
4) Toggle up to Saved Data Utility
5) Press X and then move to your Gran Turismo 5 Game Save until it is selected
6) Press Triangle and select Copy (pressing X button)
7) (By default, it will always select Online Storage for you), Toggle down to USB Drive and press X
8) It says" There is saved data with the same name at the save destination. Do you want to overwrite it?" Select Yes and press X
9) It will save your Game Save to the USB Drive, you now have a backup with your new car and or any items that you just received.
If you wish to send something to someone else, first make sure your Gamesave is backed up using the method above
1) Enter Gran Turismo , select GT Mode, and proceed to "My Page"
2) Select the car ( you cannot be in the car if you wish to send it)
3) Press Triangle and select Give to Friend
4) Select Friend from list and Press OK with X
5) Car or Ticket now is gone,make sure HDD light has stopped flashing first, Press PS button and select Quit Game, press X
6) Do you want to Quit Game, Yes press X
7) Toggle up to Saved Data Utility and press X
8) **Be extremely careful here**, this time toggle up to your USB drive and press X
9) Select your Gran Turismo 5 gamesave and press Triangle
10) Select Copy and press X
11) Success!!! you have restored your gamesave and your car/ Ticekts/ items that you just sent are restored.
I understand fully that you are very knowledgeable about Gran Turismo. I wrote these instructions step by step, so I can give them to anyone who may wish to send cars/ Tickets/ Paints/ Gear and still keep their copy. I know that you likely do not need such detailed instructions, but all info is valuable as a reference in my opinion. Regards, SWERV