Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

Re: Tour de Kart - Event Info Thread

Jun 21, 2012

(Reads over post/info) Sounds interesting. Start time is a main factor here as I'm 2hrs behind. Sunday works as it is a free night at the TPRA.

Photobucket
Message 50 of 67 (157 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Jun 21, 2012

hope you didn't miss any race nights reading over this thread!  lol as it's quite long.  but it would be great to have you.  As far as starting time, what works best for you in EDT?  I'd imagine you want to eat dinner before racing

do you have a team in mind already, or would you like to mix it up with some of the lone-wolves who have yet to form one?

TO ALL, the teams are starting to materialize so if there are people who are interested that havne't reached out to anyone to form one, please do!  THE SOONER WE ARE FORMED UP THE SOONER WE MAY BEGIN.

My Team thus far:

Fried_Tuna

exxboxfan

Metalfreak1520 (unconfirmed)

GTP_Wizard (alternate)

Marimbakat also reports having a full team.

Crow is also forming a team, contact him if interested.

One full team slot empty at this time (3 + 1 alt)

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 51 of 67 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 2, 2012

Overview of format:

Team Dynamic – Each racer will belong to a team of three racers plus at least one alternate, who will work together to achieve objectives both for the team, themself, and their team leader.  The slipstream effect that the karts create allows for groups of racers to move in packs faster than individual racers on most stages.  Carrying your teammates to the finish line is essential to victory on some stages.  With the 2.0 update to physics, experimentation with weight ballast and gear settings will be necessary for a team’s victory on each stage.  A wide variety of tracks will be used with relatively long durations and few or no tracks normally associated with karting.

ScoringThe “general classification” (GC) is scored by the time it takes for each participant to complete each stage and is combined over all stages to determine the grand prize winner of the “Yellow Jersey” competition.  This is the main competition and the one with the most prestige and overall glory.  This is similar to a rally type of scoring, but with a Tour de France twist.

The points classification, or “sprinters competition” is a more traditional type of scoring based on the order of racers across the line.  This is the competition for those good at using a draft to boost to the front of the pack at just the right moments.  The straighter the stage, the more sprinting points will be offered at the finish of the stage.  Intermediate sprint points will also be up for grabs during some stages at specified lap numbers and checkpoint markers.

The “King of the Twisties” competition (mountains in TDF) is also scored using points, but on its own leaderboard.  Twisty points will only be awarded on particularly difficult stages, where the most brave and consistently error-proof racers will attempt to finish the stage ahead of the pack by demonstrating an ability to break the draft and pull away from the pack in difficult corners.  This equates to a bike rider’s ability to climb up a mountain.  Some can do it, some can’t.

Teams classification – a competition scored by factoring in GC times of individual team members to determine the leading team.  Determined by adding together the three best finishing times from each team during each stage.

Number of stages: To be determined.  We’ll most likely do an experimental and unofficial “mini-tour” to introduce the format and test certain scenarios within the framework outlined here.  A minimum of five stages is likely, with the mini-tour being relatively short stages on one or two days, compared to the endurance style stages across multiple days we’ll eventually use in the official grand tour.  The grand tour could include ten or more stages, with some being double-headers on a single day in the interest of keeping the competition from being several months long.

Stage Categories:

Category 1 - stage with no particular difficulty.  These are commonly the flattest stages in cycling, and in kart racing terms, the “straightest”.  Example – High Speed Ring, Special Stage Route 7, or Special Stage Route X.

Category 2 - stage presenting medium difficulty.  This will be the type of stage where some difficult corners exist, but mixed equally with straight sections. Example – Rome or Top Gear.

Category 3 - stage presenting intense difficulty.  A stage with little to no straight sections, and corner after grueling corner.  Also known as a “twisty” stage.  Example – Eiger Nordwand, Tsukuba, Nurburgring, or a high complexity custom track.

Category 4 - individual time trial.  Each racer would complete a shorter, yet moderately difficult course by his or herself.  The time of which would be added to their overall time in the GC.  (TBD whether we’ll use these in a mini tour or only in a grand tour.)

Category 5 - team time trial.  Each team will complete a course with a set number of laps and attempt to work as a team to be the fastest team of the day.  (TBD whether we’ll use these in a mini tour or only in a grand tour.)

Teams

Teams will be organized around a team leader, who is their best shot at winning the tour.  In this context, winning the tour refers to the GC, or “yellow jersey” competition.  It is crucial to understand that it is extremely unlikely for any individual to win the tour without the support of a team.  Besides winning the teams competition (fastest team throughout the tour), each team will want the ultimate prize of having a teammate win the tour.  Teammates, while still out to find individual glory in different aspects of the race, will primarily focus on protecting, helping, and positioning their leader in whatever classification they are hopeful to win.  Because the number of teams must be small, however, a team may have both a favorite to win the tour, and a sprinter seeking to win the points competition.  A team may even have someone who is hopeful to win in multiple classifications.  Though, being a good team leader sometimes means allowing your cohorts to obtain some satisfaction and glory for themselves, such as stage wins and in side competitions.  Maintaining morale is crucial for the cohesion of a team, and cohesion will be critical to success.

Leadership: teams will require a leader to rally teammates together, provide direction and coaching, and to decide what the team’s objectives will be for the tour and for each stage.  For example: If there is no sprinting hopeful on the team, and the team’s leader is currently in yellow, then there is no reason for the leader to attack sprinters for points, which creates the potential for a catastrophic incident involving the yellow jersey.  In this case, the team may desire to sit back and relax for the stage while making sure their leader does not lose time over the peloton.

Teams will likely organize around a racer who has the skill required to win the tour outright, and that same individual may usually serve the capacity of Team Coach, though not necessarily.  However, if new skills are realized after the recruitment of the team has already taken place, a team leader may wish to yield his hopes for winning the tour to a teammate but retain the responsibility of team coach.  To him or her, having the yellow jersey winner on the team may be worth more than battling to win it his or herself.

A “domestique” is a team member who primarily supports the team’s leader, and has little chance of winning the overall tour.  He or she may be rewarded with some stage wins where doing so would not attack the team leader’s position.  This is a person who is dedicated to providing support for the team and it’s leader’s ambitions, and would sacrifice his/her own position in the tour to do so.

(See George Hincapie as a phenomenal example of what a domestique can do for a tour hopeful.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_domestique

Drafting: Using the slipstream effect created by GT5’s use of aerodynamics is essential in moving through most stages.  The straighter the stage, the more critical it will be to stay in the draft of the “peloton” or main field.  Sprinters will need to stay safe and in position to grab stage wins and intermediate sprint points where they lay.

On any stage, if your yellow jersey hopeful has a spin-out, the team should work to bring him or her back to the front of the peloton so no time is lost over GC rivals.  On flatter stages, where the peloton will move up to 20 mph faster than a lone racer is capable, using a few laps to catch up may be preferable.

On twisty stages, your team leader will be encouraged to leave the peloton and venture out ahead of the pack.  He or she will be determined to gain time over rivals by consistently driving faster and without incident.  The peloton will inevitably break apart as spin-outs occur and as racers grow exhausted from the difficult race conditions.  This is where the most time is to be gained, or lost, and where the GC times will spread out, deciding the tour.

Inter-team alliances:  On twisty stages where the pack splits into lone racers and small groups (or straight stages where unexpected incidents occur), those small groups will usually find themselves on opposing teams.  If you accept that you cannot work with another team’s member to get back into position, then you’ve certainly lost.  However, if that group forms a temporary alliance to work together and move faster, they can save time, and regain position with the leaders of that particular stage.  These alliances, however, should never trump allegiance to one’s team and leader.  Team Coaches will watch this particular dynamic for future recruiting, making note of who is loyal, works well with others, and who can set aside ego for the good of the group.

Message 52 of 67 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
120 posts

Jun 21, 2012

STA MotorKart Racing

marimbakat

E6Romeo

stevo2448

alternate - TBA

As in regards to tracks...Are we going to have a look at them (if custom) before hand and be able to download them?

I've been doing some small practices on custom tracks with various complexities to see how i am going up a hill and straights and such, and just wanted to know about this.

Be Part of the Action... Members from Australia to Africa, covering 7 countries across 5 continents...Register at www.SeeTheAir.com

Follow us on Twitter - @seetheair
Message 53 of 67 (157 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

Jun 21, 2012

exXboxFan wrote:

thanks bud.  yea I'd be curious to see how smooth you got them.  my main issue wasa that with mt. aso I was looking to make a challenging track with tight corners and some drastic elevation changes.  other template locations allow that with a smoother stitching together of the pieces of track, while arse-oh doesn't smooth out the bits of track.

there are t hree main types of track to be used in this tour.

category 1, straightest, best for sprinting etc.

category 2, nice mix of the two

category 3, pretty tough to extremely tough.

I was looking for mt. aso to be pretty tough, though we have Eiger Nordwand and some others that fit the bill too.  I had wanted that "approaching the mountains" feeling for the visual effect and producing videos from replays.

could you share one of your test subjects up on your account for me to grab?

lata!

Square, triangle, circle,... EX!

Tour de Kart Event Info

SCREAM GT Event Thread

GT Academy Ranking

I'd really like to get into a lounge and try them out if it's OK. There's a few things I can with them do yet, and voice feedback and being able to discuss will help me connect the dots better. I'd also like to see the carts in the hands of a driver used to them, it would enable me to see the line, see how you handle the sections and whether I can keep up and get an idea of whether or not the more complicated things I was working on would work out.  

Can't drive today, much less type... So I'm in Netflix jail for the day. I believe you mentioned this in the past... I'm checking out the series Outcasts. Very Freaky...and very Good. A few things are a little off, but hoping it ends as well as it's been going. Just over 1/2 way through, can't wait to get to the next part. So many messed up things going on, it's definitely creepy and very well done. If it was you, thanks for bringing it up...definitely been worth the price of admission so far.

Photobucket
Message 54 of 67 (157 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Jun 21, 2012

yea let's meet on the track soon, Dan.  Testing is always fun with a friend.

re: Outcasts, yes I said something in Oz's lounge when you were doing your Queen voice... lol  I had asked Matt to suck up to the Queen so BBC gets ordered to produce at least one more season of it.

So yea, great series but be forewarned that it is only just the one season and does not resolve itself.  Very sad, though a great production and still worth finishing what is there to see.

and don't fret, eventually you will get to see how to spell that girl's name... fluh, flrerheeh, flow, flerereoeoer

Message 55 of 67 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

Jun 22, 2012

exXboxFan wrote:

yea let's meet on the track soon, Dan.  Testing is always fun with a friend.

re: Outcasts, yes I said something in Oz's lounge when you were doing your Queen voice... lol  I had asked Matt to suck up to the Queen so BBC gets ordered to produce at least one more season of it.

So yea, great series but be forewarned that it is only just the one season and does not resolve itself.  Very sad, though a great production and still worth finishing what is there to see.

and don't fret, eventually you will get to see how to spell that girl's name... fluh, flrerheeh, flow, flerereoeoer

Square, triangle, circle,... EX!

Tour de Kart Event Info

SCREAM GT Event Thread

GT Academy Ranking

LOL...! First time I heard someone say it I thought to myself "did they just call her fur...?" It seems every time they say it it's a new name too, which is incredible given how short it is. I got to episode 7, and I can see it's going to leave a ton of stuff unresolved, but I'm with you. It was at least 80% as good as Firefly was. (...there is no other show as good as that one was, not even BSG...) I'd very much like to see one more season just to resolve things if they had to, provided the cast and writing/acting was done as well as it has been.

Truly a sad statement, but the fact I have to go to Netflix to watch British TV other than the handful of shows I DVR to get something other than garbage is bad enough now. It's actually going to get WORSE next year. If it wasn't for some of the smaller cable networks there wouldn't be a decent show on at all.

I really hate American Big Business mentality...

But wait, there's more...!

We're remaking remakes of remakes now too...

And if you order now...

Photobucket
Message 56 of 67 (157 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Jun 22, 2012

thanks for confirming for Team STA (as I'll probably refer to you most of the time)

I'll send out FR's for those who have not sent one yet.  as a reminder, they go to Tour-de-Kart PSN id.

You will most definitely have the tracks to practice on in advance.  I'm doing final testing on them now, and as you can see, still deliberating about using mt. aso at all.

Most tracks will be those you're familiar with in GT5 though.

EDIT: Depending on when Motegi is brought to GT5 (now confirmed to arrive soon) we may use one or more of its layouts.  But that is only if it does not force participants to buy something they do not wish to purchase or cannot afford.  If we get it in time, I'll ask if there are any objections to using it.

OTHER DLC: such as the Kart variations and Spa-Fancorchamps are required, however.  Because Spa is in Belgium, where the TDF often visits, it makes it an easy choice for this competition.  It's a category 2 - medium difficulty stage BTW.

Message 58 of 67 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Jun 30, 2012

well.  first post on the new forum.  and it definitely seems that more than just the last couple days did not transfer over.

I'll inquire about the rest and see what's going on.

might want to repost any posts about wanting to join up with someone in case we don't get it all restored.

Message 59 of 67 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Jul 2, 2012

All right peeps.  The real-life counterpart to this event, the Tour de France officially began on Saturday the 30th.  Fabian Cancellara currently in Yellow.

FOR OUR EVENT ...

Those who have not formed into a team should start getting loud about it okay?  lol

I know a couple people were talking about a third team and I need to PM a couple more people about it.

Let's finish forming those teams so we can get started!

I'll finalize stages (tracks) and their profiles for this first tour in the next few days.

Message 60 of 67 (143 Views)
0 Likes