Hekseville Citizen
334 posts

Re: Tour de Kart - Event Info Thread

Jun 11, 2012

This sound like it would be cool, but I think I'm going to pass at first (maybe watch some of the first events). I just dont like the idea of relying on your team.

Some great car pictures:
http://pictcars.blogspot.com/

My garage:
http://www.mygranturismo.net/24879
Message 20 of 67 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Jun 11, 2012

that's fine.  the main reason that relying on a team is necessary is so you can go faster on straight and straight-ish stages and so you have someone to draft you up to the group if you nick a wall and slow down too much to catch up on your own.  Those Category 1 or 2 stages, where going it alone will be extremely slow in comparison.

I imagine that everyone will be learning a lot still in the first Tour season.  Most participants won't fully grasp the concept until they see it work.

Part of my job as organizer/promotor is to show you all what I see in my imagination.  That's about 3/4 of the battle IMO.

Stay tuned for a race preview night /slash/ "Get to know the Tour" open racing night soon.  Joining that may get people more acquainted with format and help visualize how things will be run.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 21 of 67 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
334 posts

Jun 11, 2012

Maybe if I get enough people to make a good team I will do it the more I read the more I like it.

Some great car pictures:
http://pictcars.blogspot.com/

My garage:
http://www.mygranturismo.net/24879
Message 22 of 67 (115 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1052 posts

Jun 11, 2012

Don't know if you have time for some more practice tonight but i'll be on a little bit later after work.

photo GTsats5FinaleWinner_zps4faa2658.png
Message 23 of 67 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Jun 12, 2012

sorry I was on but creating and testing some course creator settings.

this race series will most likely include at least one or two custom tracks - I know, some don't like them for the crazy banks, rough surfaces (for karts anyways) but I've found ways to tweak these tracks so that they don't have much of that shtuff.

I created a Category 1 track using the Toscana template.  It's got no difficult turns and the whole thing CAN be taken at full throttle, though maybe not when draft is present.  This will be a sprinting stage that simulates the "rolling countryside" that viewers see while watching the Tour de France on television.

That's the main reason for using these... the scenery.  When we approach a mountain stage, such as Eiger Nordwand, it would be cool if the stage preceding it looked like an approach to a mountain.  - Though, so far I'm having trouble making a viable track for karts out of the "mt Aso" template.  That one seems very hard to get the shake out of and to create something that is not too grueling.  Perhaps one will be used as a Category 3 stage - very twisty and difficult.  If so, it would be one, not many.

I also created a Category 2 (Medium difficulty) course using the Eifel template.  It's really good and I spent at least an hour tweaking it until it was exactly what I want for this type of stage.

I will share these back and forth (one at a time because that's all we can do) on the Host Account I've just created, called "Tour-de-Kart".

Send Friend Requests to Tour-de-Kart if you are even remotely interested so that you can join a "Get to know the Tour" practice room sometime in the near future.

Does anyone have a preference about when to start up a room to showcase the format?  Tonight (Tues) may work if I get some interest...

Message 24 of 67 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Jun 12, 2012

IN TOUR DE FRANCE NEWS

Occasionally, I'll post here something that is of great interest regarding the "real world's" tour which this series is modelled after.  I watched in 2010 as Andy Schleck lost his yellow jersey position to a chain derailment while Alberto Contador attacked on the mountains.  It was less than chivalrous, but legal.  Schleck lost by the exact amount of time he spent fixing the chain on his own.  As is often the case while leaders attack the mountain stages, no teammates were present to swap bikes with.

Now, apparently Contador has been disqualified from the 2010 tour (retroactively) due to a doping scandal.  I'm not sure on details, but he had a slightly dirty drop, citing "a bad cut of meat"

Now, two years later, Schleck is officially given the yellow jersey for winning the 2010 Tour!

http://www.letour.fr/2012/TDF/COURSE/us/actus.html#zone187577

http://www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2012/us/actu_schleck_300.jpg

Officially the winner of the 97th Tour de France following the disqualification of Alberto Contador, Andy Schleck received the honour of being presented with the Yellow Jersey for the 2010 edition in his home town, by Christian Prudhomme in person.

The Tour de France 2010 finished on a regretful note for Andy Schleck, who missed out on triumph by 39 seconds, lost partly due to a mechanical incident in the Pyrenees and then on the time-trial in Pauillac. Since the disqualification of Alberto Contador, the rider from Luxembourg has regained first place in the final overall classification. After having worn the White Jersey for best young rider on the podium on the Champs-Elysées at the time, Andy Schleck was this morning presented with the winner’s Yellow Jersey for Le Tour 2012 by Christian Prudhomme. The ceremony, to which 150 people were invited, was organised in the home town of the two Schleck brothers, Mondorf-lès-Bains, in the presence of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg Minister for Sport, Romain Schneider, in particular.

Message 25 of 67 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
120 posts

Jun 12, 2012

I'm reading more and more everytime I come back to this thread, but I'm getting a couple of drivers from my SeeTheAir.com League to see if we can run this eries. I might have 3-4 possibly, two definately, just need to work out the schedule.

Be Part of the Action... Members from Australia to Africa, covering 7 countries across 5 continents...Register at www.SeeTheAir.com

Follow us on Twitter - @seetheair
Message 26 of 67 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
120 posts

Jun 12, 2012

Question: Are you looking/ thinking of introducing any custom tracks we could do for longer stages. Wouldn't be anything to download them.

Be Part of the Action... Members from Australia to Africa, covering 7 countries across 5 continents...Register at www.SeeTheAir.com

Follow us on Twitter - @seetheair
Message 27 of 67 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Jun 12, 2012

I got your FR marimbakat, and you're league would be most welcome to join!

3-4 people is perfect, because there is a good chance it will need to be teams of 3 with one alternate/substitute on standby.  Just make sure they are all very clean racers (i'm sure they are, I just don't know who I don't know, you know?) and that you can count on them for the schedule.

I prefer Sundays, but it looks like Mondays might work out better for some people.  We'll know more about exact day of week within the next week or so I HOPE!

your question: yes I will be using at least two custom courses that have been tailored for this event.  They will not suffer from typical "course creator craziness".  I will share them one at a time on the Tour-de-Kart host account and announce when they are changing.

Message 28 of 67 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Jun 13, 2012

not sure if i'll be doing anything tonight.  I'll try to pop in the TDK lounge at some point.

Message 29 of 67 (115 Views)
0 Likes