Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

Re: SCREAM 2012 - Photos and Open Discussions

May 19, 2012

dawson864 wrote:

I've found that putting the ballast back on this track helped me.  And allow me to explain why I think it did.  To me this track seemed to have several turns where it helped to have extra rear grip for the tires when accelerating.  I felt like I could get on the gas earlier coming out of a turn than if I had the ballast anywhere else.  The rearward ballast also helps under braking, due to more even weight distribution.

Rearward weight balance can be a negative when there is a lot of quick left right actions involved.  This causes the car to be unstable.  However this track didn't seem to have turns to upset the car in this way.  So I think it worked well here.  I don't think a rearward weight balance will help on all tracks though (not Monaco). 

Placing the ballast anywhere but the middle only hurts this car's polar moment of inertia - that is, it's willingness to start turning.  So I really think any grip gained in the front by additional weight would only be hurt by slower turn in.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents...only applicable if the physics are similar to real life of course

My fastest time was set with the ballast at +40...

It's not the wt balance that matters, it's how that weight transfers under acceleration and braking, and how the wt of fuel burn off changes over the run that determines how well a car will behave. Balance is a good starting point, but with 69-70kgs to move around, you can do a ton of pre loading one end or the other to help with tire wear etc.

Like dawson, I found that running all the wt out back, then raising the rear RH minimized the the sudden wt shift to the rear, and the nose was always preloaded for braking. I got 13 laps in race mode for the first set of tires in practice before the changes bright and early Sunday. Had things remained constant, it would have been fun to see if I could have used an offset strategy and made up a spot or two.

The room physics didn't allow me the time I needed to tinker the little bit I needed to to race it, so I ended up with an older 50/50 softer set up that I wasn't happy with at all. It wasn't bad, but without the help from the car to correct for my deficiencies, it was a bear to drive and forced me to pit more than I wanted to.

Moving the wt forward is the same principle, pre loading the car to minimize wt transfer. It's more a driver feel issue, and whether you can make enough time up in the high speed sections to offset the low speed sections.

Hey Ed, remember Aero doesn't do anything going slow, it's more like a bonus for the high speed stuff.

Always set the car for the slow parts and then adjust if you have to for the added Aero.

I'd rather live with one straight or sweeper having a handling issue than the other 80% of the track...

It's the same as tuning the trans for one straight instead of the 32 corners...

Photobucket
Message 11 of 44 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1980 posts

May 26, 2012

Couple of things we might need to check datewise. July 8th - does the US have a 3 day weekend for that holiday, and when?

And does anything family-ish happen for Veteran's Day? (Nov. 11th is also a race day.) These are the only possible confilcts with our schedule that I can see.

Might consider a Saturday change; we'd need to get right to the race, then GT_Sats could be just after. If the other half can be lulled into it.

Message 12 of 44 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

May 26, 2012

Edhellonde wrote:

If the other half can be lulled into it.

Fully carded member of the SPBDH! Photobucket Photobucket

Oh to be lulled...

Photobucket
Message 13 of 44 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

May 29, 2012

vertan's day, ironically because of all of the supposed "patriotism" here, is not celebrated as vigorously as Memorial Day and Labor Day, which ARE full weekend celebrations, more or less.  To celebrate all veteran's have done we give them horrible health care benefits and put them on terrorist watch lists, then wave the flag every time we want to go wreck someone else's home.

Independence Day, (aka "4th of July" in Winston's newspeak) is just a one or two day thing.  Depending on when your city does fireworks.  Some do it on the 3rd.  Though, "4th of july weekend" is something you hear people talk about, most people don't actually get the 4th of July off of work.

In other words, Americans (most of us) don't actually celebrate the holiday, but rather the fact that they get some bonus like a day off work and an excuse to blow stuff up and party.

Me, I hand out copies of the Declaration of Independence and relish in the blank stares from the drunken hoards of people.

"The answer to 1984 is 1776".

rant off

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 14 of 44 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

May 29, 2012

exXboxFan wrote:

Me, I hand out copies of the Declaration of Independence and relish in the blank stares from the drunken hoards of people.

"The answer to 1984 is 1776".

rant off

Square, triangle, circle,... EX!

Photo by Ex-xboxfan
Photo Mode AlbumGT5 Videos

SCREAM GT Event Thread

GT Academy Ranking

After you say "rant off", do the drunk people look around to see if the lights went out or the sun turned off...?

It is truly sad though.

Only in America do we give up freedom for the right to be free...

Photobucket
Message 15 of 44 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1980 posts

May 29, 2012

Said rant also applies to the more Northern climes<sadly> We seem to have given up the right to speak out in favour of not offending anyone. I'm only offensive if you're downwind

.Photobucket

Message 16 of 44 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1980 posts

Jul 1, 2012

Dang! Looks like some of this topic's replies were lost in migration. None of the Motegi ideas are here.

Message 17 of 44 (201 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1077 posts

Jul 10, 2012
i am returning my g27 wheel due to some faults so i was using the controller this time, i was happy with my race but i just lost my pace after 2 pit stops, i was up there with physco and crow but they pulled away.

mind you i never had time to tune car, suzuka should be interesting.

CURRENT CHAMPION OF 2011 OF NOT WINNING ANYTHING
Message 18 of 44 (189 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1052 posts

Jul 11, 2012

Did a little quick practice. Currently running low 2:02's. I figure lap count should be around 23 - 25? Didn't do to much to the tune and felt pretty happy with it rolling thru the corners.

photo GTsats5FinaleWinner_zps4faa2658.png
Message 19 of 44 (183 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1077 posts

Jul 13, 2012
i havent done any running yet, looks like 1:58s will be target times

CURRENT CHAMPION OF 2011 OF NOT WINNING ANYTHING
Message 20 of 44 (178 Views)
0 Likes