Lombax Warrior
217 posts

Re: Le Mans Race Series 2012-A (Online Racing Series)

[ Edited ]
Aug 14, 2012

Sorry I missed the race last Sunday... well, I'm not that sorry.  I got to drive the Ferrari F430 on a race track here in Texas.  This was my first time driving a real car on a track.  It was a blast!  There is an in cockpit view video of the 2 1/2 lap experience.  It is a company called Extreme Experience at http://thextremexperience.com/.  You can choose between several different super cars, I chose the Ferrari.  They travel to several different tracks in the US. What you can't see in the video is that the Lambo and Porsche finished the run over 1/2 a lap behind me and the pace car. Also first time drivers, but not GT5 trained.  

Ferrari F430

So, I did practice in the Ferrari F430 in GT5 before going to the track, and I have to say that once I got onto the track, the skills learned driving in GT5 translate very well to the real track.  Alternatively however, you tend to be a little more cautious driving a quarter of a million dollar car.  You will notice in the video that the driving instructor keeps telling me to stay on the gas, but I could not help but leave a little extra space between me and the pace car.  The other major difference is naturally the g-forces in the curves.  It is a little counter intuitive to get on the gas when you feel as if the car is going to slide out from under you, but that Ferrari won't let go, I could not believe how much grip I had in those corners.  By the last lap I had a feel for the car and the track and I really had to fight the urge to fly past the pace car.  We were not allowed to pass, and the speeds were limited by the pace car to 120mph on the straight aways.  Another comparison I can make is that it was only a little more exciting than my first race online in the Le Mans 2011 online racing series.

Here is the video:

Here is a short video from the bleachers:

"The Ferrari is so choice... If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

- Ferris Bueller

Message 51 of 173 (313 Views)
Wastelander
688 posts

Aug 14, 2012

Gojet-64 wrote:

Don't worry about the not getting the lap times. However, if you could get the leader's final time, it would be good infomation to me. That way I can make adjustments to the lap count for next season, and get it closer to 45 minutes.

Also, how was 625 PP for the GT cars? Could it be higher? Is it perfect? Is it too much?

PS: I like your new sig, John! I like how it shows the cars you used in previous seasons.

Hey Ken, or anybody.  Do you remember what was your final time?  I wanted to say about 1 hr, and both NoL and I was about 30's or so behind you.  But I am getting old so my memory my be slipping Smiley SadSmiley IndifferentSmiley Very Happy  The 1 hr just does not make sense because if avarage of 1 min per lap, and 45 laps, it should be about maybe no more than 50 min right? Smiley Surprised

Also, thanks Gojet.  I did spend few hr's making my new sig.  I am happy with what I came up with.  I wanted to show my previous cars too, and somehow fit all in this little space we have for sig, and yet focused on the new car.  And eventually the idea of the motion from previous to current car came to me and this was what I thought to best show it.

Like they say, "what goes around comes around," and I am not talking about Karma.
Message 52 of 173 (298 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
688 posts

Aug 14, 2012

WOWWWWW HO HO....

Very nice Henderse!!!!  

I will add to this post when I have more time tonight man.  I am still at work and I want to go home first.  But one thing first is was that F430 a automatic?  Where are your helmets and gloves?  LOL JK...except about the question on auto or manual.

Like they say, "what goes around comes around," and I am not talking about Karma.
Message 53 of 173 (291 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
576 posts

Aug 14, 2012

dont remember my final time.

~ TNR1 Champion
~ Exotics 3 Champion
~ TN-NASCAR Champion
~ WedNite 375PP Champion

GT5 league race wins: 23
NASCAR ISL wins: 95
GT6 Community wins: 36
GT6 league wins: n/a
Message 54 of 173 (276 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
576 posts

Aug 14, 2012

45 laps i thought was fine tho...

~ TNR1 Champion
~ Exotics 3 Champion
~ TN-NASCAR Champion
~ WedNite 375PP Champion

GT5 league race wins: 23
NASCAR ISL wins: 95
GT6 Community wins: 36
GT6 league wins: n/a
Message 55 of 173 (275 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
217 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 14, 2012

John-GT5 wrote:

WOWWWWW HO HO....

Very nice Henderse!!!!  

I will add to this post when I have more time tonight man.  I am still at work and I want to go home first.  But one thing first is was that F430 a automatic?  Where are your helmets and gloves?  LOL JK...except about the question on auto or manual.

No helmet, suit, or rollbar was required for the course layout and speeds we were driving.  This was set up for first time drivers at what they call "Highway Speeds".  Indeed they talked about what safety equipment is required for the more advanced courses.  The course I was on was the MSR Speedway just southwest of Houston, and we only used a very small portion of the larger course. Lots of tight curves and only short straights. I think the pace car did allow me to go a little faster, but I don't know for sure, I never looked down at the speedometer. I can't make out the speedometer in the video either.  

About the question of Standard / Automatic.  The Ferrari F430 features the new "F1 Gearbox Management System" which is both an automatic and standard transmission... and more.  There are multiple settings that you can configure with the touch of a dial on the steering wheel.  Since we were first time drivers, they placed the transmission in "Race" and "Automatic" mode.  There are Race, Sport, Rain, and other settings which can be utilized in either manual (paddle shift) or automatic modes.  

Message 56 of 173 (270 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2197 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 16, 2012

Hey guys, big rule changes coming!

I spent a lunch break or two brainstorming some ideas to make the car usage system a little more interesting. I wanted a way to discourage the same car from winning all the time, but not change every car unnecessarily. So, I came up with this.

Car Success Penalty:

Every time a particular car wins a race, that car receives a 3 point penalty to use in every future race of the season. (Stacking to a maximum of a 12 point penalty).

However, drivers may take one of two Paths to what cars they use throughout the season.

Variety Path:

Drivers can use whatever car they want for any race. However, they will have points deducted for using a car that previously won.

Drivers under the Variety Path could use the same car for each and every race without penalty, granted that car has not won an earlier race.

Dedication Path:

Drivers may only use a single car for the entire season. However, the points deduction from their car's Success Penalty will be divided by 3.

You can only use one car, period. No free changes. Choose wisely!

These changes will take effect on the first race of Segment 2. Until then, car usage is free game!

Gojet-64 is now Encvell. (Gojet-64 is now only used for older games and Vita)
Back up your PS3's and PS4's hard drives!
Try repairing your corrupted hard drive without losing data, here.
Message 57 of 173 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
688 posts

Aug 16, 2012

henderse wrote:

John-GT5 wrote:

WOWWWWW HO HO....

Very nice Henderse!!!!  

No helmet, suit, or rollbar was required for the course layout and speeds we were driving.  This was set up for first time drivers at what they call "Highway Speeds".  Indeed they talked about what safety equipment is required for the more advanced courses.  The course I was on was the MSR Speedway just southwest of Houston, and we only used a very small portion of the larger course. Lots of tight curves and only short straights. I think the pace car did allow me to go a little faster, but I don't know for sure, I never looked down at the speedometer. I can't make out the speedometer in the video either.  

About the question of Standard / Automatic.  The Ferrari F430 features the new "F1 Gearbox Management System" which is both an automatic and standard transmission... and more.  There are multiple settings that you can configure with the touch of a dial on the steering wheel.  Since we were first time drivers, they placed the transmission in "Race" and "Automatic" mode.  There are Race, Sport, Rain, and other settings which can be utilized in either manual (paddle shift) or automatic modes.  

Hey Henderse, yes I knew about the multiple settings but what I didn't know was that it also has a automatic mode.  The reason I asked was because your hand did not look like you were using the paddle shifter when the gear was changing.  BTW, does the gear changes roughly on that F430?  It looks like the gear were changing very roughly to me from your video, or is it simply just because of the huge power difference between no gas vs a little gas?

Also, about this driving event.  Why are they using a Mustang for a pace car? They should use a faster car is what I mean.  From watching your video, yes it did look like you could of pass the pace car.

Now, about driving a real F430 vs driving in GT5's F430.  Other than the g-forces, the smell, and other obvious real life differences.  Is the "in cockpit view" looks just as good in GT5? Is the view angle looking from the cockpit out in GT5 the same as real one?  Did the distance covered when accelerating feels the same as in real life F430?  Sound wise, did the tire squeaking sound when turning sounds the same as real life? Did the engine sound sounded the same wile driving?  After watching your video, I watched few other youtube's video on F430, then I got in the GT5's stock F430 to hear the engine sound.  I was disappointed.  The engine in GT5 sounded higher pitch than in real life. Or is this just my stereo system?

Anyway.  Thanks so much for sharing your experience with all of us.

Message 58 of 173 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1979 posts

Aug 16, 2012
So Gojet....just to make sure I understand the new rule. Are you saying that we no longer have to use the same car for the entire season? And we're now actually encouraged to use different cars each race? Just want to make sure, before I start playing with other cars.

EXOTICS SEASON 1 CHAMPION, FF SEASON 1 CHAMPION, SUPER GT SEASON 1 CHAMPION, S2000 CHALLENGE SERIES CO-CHAMPION, LE MANS 2012-S CHAMPION, JUAREZ SPORTS CAR CHALLENGE CHAMPION, SUPER GT SEASON 2 CHAMPION, FF SEASON 3 CHAMPION, TNR SEASON 1 CHAMPION
Message 59 of 173 (224 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2197 posts

Aug 16, 2012

Sort of. I'm mostly just encouraging a totally free car usage, but discouraging the same car from winning all the time.

For example, let's say the Audi R8 won a race. It now has a 3 point penalty applied to it. Anyone who uses the R8 in future races will have 3 points deducted from their score.

If the Audi R8 won another race, it now has a 6 point penalty. Each race someone uses the R8, they will now have 6 points deducted from their score.

I was thinking of lower the penalty, however. Probably 2 points per win is better. I'm also not sure if we should have the "Paths" system, as it adds unnecessary complexity.

Gojet-64 is now Encvell. (Gojet-64 is now only used for older games and Vita)
Back up your PS3's and PS4's hard drives!
Try repairing your corrupted hard drive without losing data, here.
Message 60 of 173 (214 Views)
0 Likes