Oct 07 2011
By: Benzarius First Son 1 posts

Why I won't be playing GOW 3

23 replies 733 views Edited Oct 7, 2011

So I basically joined this community for one reason, and one reason only.

To let the devs and community managers of this site know that I won't be playing GOW 3, or frankly any Sony game until they learn to clean up their ad campaign. (featured in the above link)

I was never a huge fan of the series, but a lot of my die-hard Sony fanboy friends keep saying that it's the best game for PS3. I own a Wii, and a 360, and have been on the fence about a PS3. I wouldn't mind a blue ray player, I suppose but this sort of sexist crap does NOTHING to encourage me to give Sony ONE RED CENT. Look, I'm a gamer. I've been one since I was born. (I still remember PONG.) As such, I have a small community of friends whom I like to play with. Several of them are women. To say that these ads are offensive is an understatement. Not to mention, just stupid. I mean really? Nagging girlfriend? That's the best you could do? If this is the sort of creativity I can expect from SONY, then I'm not impressed. I can't imagine too much more thought and planning is going into your game development. Sure, they're two different teams. Whatever.

Women are a very important part of ANY community. Women have been marginalized throughout history. So what the hell, Sony? Women are one of the fastest growing demographics in gaming too. So you create  a business model that includes alienating them?  I simply can not fathom how you thought this ad was a good idea, unless you REALLY are doing what all your critics say: That is, making a console for fat, lonely nerds with no (girl)friends. I mean, we've seen your "online community". Oh, I'm sorry....was that inflamatorry? Did I strike a nerve? Yeah, it sucks when people make generalizations about you doesn't it?  Now, FWIW, I actually like what Sony is doing in EVERY OTHER ASPECT of it's marketing. The PS3 has come a long way since launch, and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of it. But this sort of ad campaign is just bad. I'm a young, upwardly mobile white guy, and even I had to call "BS" on this one. Stop making sexist ads....maybe issue a retraction or apology. I might consider buying a PS3 one day. But not if it's going to support a crap agenda like this one.

I've never posted here before, but I'm sure that like all boards there are more trolls than Sarumons army. So yeah, go ahead and flame away at the new guy. Make sure you make fun of spelling and gramattical errors too. That always hammers home a point. I just wanted to speak my mind. I sincereley hope you guys find the peace and security you need to make better choices. Because I, for one will NOT be consciously supporting Sony in ANY endeavour until they do. And I know I'm not alone.

Peace.

Message 22 of 24 (733 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
612 posts

Re: Why I won't be playing GOW 3

Apr 8, 2010

All I have to say is some people are too sensitive these days.

ohhh and Saruman's army didn't have trolls it was Uruk-hai and the wild men of Dunland.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 1 of 24 (733 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1336 posts

Apr 8, 2010

Benzarius wrote:

So I basically joined this community for one reason, and one reason only.

http://emilypritchard.com/?p=31

To let the devs and community managers of this site know that I won't be playing GOW 3, or frankly any Sony game until they learn to clean up their ad campaign. (featured in the above link)

I was never a huge fan of the series, but a lot of my die-hard Sony fanboy friends keep saying that it's the best game for PS3. I own a Wii, and a 360, and have been on the fence about a PS3. I wouldn't mind a blue ray player, I suppose but this sort of sexist crap does NOTHING to encourage me to give Sony ONE RED CENT. Look, I'm a gamer. I've been one since I was born. (I still remember PONG.) As such, I have a small community of friends whom I like to play with. Several of them are women. To say that these ads are offensive is an understatement. Not to mention, just stupid. I mean really? Nagging girlfriend? That's the best you could do? If this is the sort of creativity I can expect from SONY, then I'm not impressed. I can't imagine too much more thought and planning is going into your game development. Sure, they're two different teams. Whatever.

Women are a very important part of ANY community. Women have been marginalized throughout history. So what the hell, Sony? Women are one of the fastest growing demographics in gaming too. So you create  a business model that includes alienating them?  I simply can not fathom how you thought this ad was a good idea, unless you REALLY are doing what all your critics say: That is, making a console for fat, lonely nerds with no (girl)friends. I mean, we've seen your "online community". Oh, I'm sorry....was that inflamatorry? Did I strike a nerve? Yeah, it sucks when people make generalizations about you doesn't it?  Now, FWIW, I actually like what Sony is doing in EVERY OTHER ASPECT of it's marketing. The PS3 has come a long way since launch, and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of it. But this sort of ad campaign is just bad. I'm a young, upwardly mobile white guy, and even I had to call "BS" on this one. Stop making sexist ads....maybe issue a retraction or apology. I might consider buying a PS3 one day. But not if it's going to support a crap agenda like this one.

I've never posted here before, but I'm sure that like all boards there are more trolls than Sarumons army. So yeah, go ahead and flame away at the new guy. Make sure you make fun of spelling and gramattical errors too. That always hammers home a point. I just wanted to speak my mind. I sincereley hope you guys find the peace and security you need to make better choices. Because I, for one will NOT be consciously supporting Sony in ANY endeavour until they do. And I know I'm not alone.

Peace.

Benjamin Zari

..........Thanks for coming

Message 2 of 24 (733 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2172 posts

Apr 8, 2010

no one cares about you so...bye.

Message 3 of 24 (733 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
119 posts

Apr 8, 2010

A+ for taking a promotional ad too seriously dauche bag.

Message 4 of 24 (733 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12345 posts

Apr 8, 2010

It's only sexist if you're looking for it to be sexist.

Some people are just incredibly over-sensitive.

It's not like he made a "go get me my sammich" joke or something.

Photobucket

Message 5 of 24 (733 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1279 posts

Apr 8, 2010

I think your just taking this as an excuse to hate sony and PS and being a fanboy. There are girlfriends like this out there and this commercial is meant to be funny not offensive. The commercial doesnt imply that all girls hate video games, if you recall in a previous uncharted 2 commercial the girlfriend wanted to enjoy the game with her boyfriend. Also in the commercial for lbp remember there was the mom and both the boy and the girl were playing together. You're taking it way too seriously, there are gamer girls out there and im sure everyone knows that, are there more male gamers than there are female gamers? YES. Again you are looking into this too much, sony wasnt trying to be sexist in any way and im sure they know that girls game too.

"If all on Olympus will deny me my vengeance, then all on Olympus will die"- Kratos, GOW2
Message 6 of 24 (733 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1293 posts

Apr 8, 2010

Are you a girl or a boy?

Photobucket
Message 7 of 24 (733 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
116 posts

Apr 8, 2010

Ironic as I was turned on to this commercial by my wife who described it as "funny as hell."

Way to be a dumb fuck OP! 

Message 8 of 24 (733 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
13759 posts

Apr 8, 2010

you joined the site. and, just to complain about an advert. i personally like all of the ps3 adverts.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?member=Grim%20Reaper
Message 9 of 24 (733 Views)
0 Likes