Mar 21 2012
By: almostthethird15 First Son 3 posts

Were The Evils of Pandora's Box Necessary/Ruin GOW3's Ending?

2 replies 310 views Edited Mar 21, 2012

I dont know if im just being stubborn, or complicated, but the ending of GOW3 continues to urk me to this day.  So heres why, and id love to hear your thoughts.

At the end of the game, we learn that the Gods were acting the way they were because of the evils released from Pandora's Box.  Instantly, when i learned this, i was kind of bummed out.  This made it seem like Zeus would have never betrayed Kratos, if Kratos had not opened the box.  Its annoying, because i feel these evils werent necessary.  I feel as though Zeus would have betrayed Kratos regardless.  Zeus wanted Ares defeated, so why would he let Kratos do the same thing as his predecessor?  In Ghost of Sparta, Zeus was already trying to rid the marked warrior, so nobody could destroy him.  Not only that, but GOW2 dived into Zeus's past deeds with multiple characters, making him out to be quite the a**hole, without the help of the box.  God of war 2, and 3, up until the ending, made the gods out to be great villains, but in the end, made them seem like some unlucky souls who were turned evil by kratos' doing. Did kratos kill people who werent acting in their right mind?  A pointless killing spree?  Would things have been better if the box had not been opened and kratos killed ares another way?

But then i like to consider that the evils locked away were already a part of the Gods original personalities.  They were created from the war with the Titans after all, so the fighting left them all bitter (or even more bitter) than what they actually were.  they just tried leaving their dark sides locked away.  But eventually the evils of those individuals ended up returning. It was only a matter of time, before they were converted back to their old original ways.  They were powerful beings, messing with things that should not have been messed with.  this is what i try to tell myself to make the ending work to my liking, hahaSmiley Happy  

I dont really know what im getting at, but did anybody else feel the same way? still think the gods deserved their fate? could the story still have had just as much of an impact, if not more, if the evils werent blamed for the gods actions? comment below!

Message 2 of 3 (310 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5836 posts

Re: Were The Evils of Pandora's Box Necessary/Ruin GOW3's Ending?

Mar 20, 2012

Your distaste for the 'Evils' angle is not misplaced.  I was equally unamused with "Hope" and Pandora (the red-head key-person playing at our daughter).  Bringing Athena back as 'Greed' Athena did not tickle me.  Having our revenge on Zeus be a cheap joke forcing a boring 'power of hope' mindtrip just to beat on a Zeus that is apparently not responsible for the things we're truly pissed about...striked me as pointless.

Message 1 of 3 (310 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Re: Were The Evils of Pandora's Box Necessary/Ruin GOW3's Ending?

Mar 21, 2012

im glad i wasnt the only one, haha. it just drives me nuts, cuz the story was so close to being perfect. if they didnt mention that the gods became corrupted, everything would have still made beyond perfect sense, plus leaving the gods to be thought of as power hungry stuck up d***s their entire lives.  it was such a huge bummer to me. zeus betrayed giah, banished prometheus, ect, all this evil stuff without the help from the box. these freaking evils werent needed. your telling me zeus was going to let kratos destroy all of Greece and the world if he wasnt corrupted? uh no, cuz he was willing to have his own son Ares killed for doing the same thing. ugh! 

Message 3 of 3 (310 Views)
0 Likes