First Son
18 posts

Re: Is anyone else disappointed with the story and ending of God of War 3 as I a

Mar 30, 2010

Another thing to think about is the fact that every game had a different person in charge. David Jaffe was in charge of GOW 1 and he was the creator of the series. In GOW 2 it was Cory, and in GOW 3 it was the bald guy. He really dropped the ball...

Message 21 of 47 (25 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Re: Is anyone else disappointed with the story and ending of God of War 3 as I a

Mar 31, 2010

well i would belive that its alot more difficult developing a game from the ground up on a new consle... they have time limits im guessing...  they did say some of the stuff they wanted in couldnt be put in cuz of time contstraints.

GoW 1 and 2 were both on ps2 so they had something to work with already so they were able to focus alot more on the story and other additional contnent. and i belive that David Jaffe was present for both games but not for GOW 3 so the transition between the 1st and 2nd was probably easier with the former director ovrseeing the 2nd games production.

GOW 3 was pretty much a fresh start so that ment more work and David wasnt present so maybe that made it more difficult to stick with the story while they had to work on all the other things like character models and scenery and the tweaks to the gameplay

but anyways off that topic.. i also kind of agree with what you said about athena i really didnt get her at all i was actually pissed off when she pulled that dirty shit maybe she was affected by pandoras box like all the other gods??? and gaia i saw that betrayal coming i mean even athena told us not to trust the titans.. zues death didnt really do anything cuz the death of the other god already fuckd everything up poisidon made the ocean level rise by alot. hades caused spirits to go rampart. hermes caused a plauge that killed the ones who survived the water. hercules didnt do squat but make me laugh at his smashed face. hera caused all the plant life to die. apollo caused the darkness to overcome the land meaning that morpheus returned (im sure lol) and he probably killed some people

like idk man  theres alot of things that couldve probably been better but im sure they have there reasons for not being as good as they couldve been i guess we really expected to much from them.

sorry if i mispelled words or what i was saying didnt make sense im not used to writing alot

Message 22 of 47 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
201 posts

Mar 31, 2010

yeah I didn't bother to read your entirely too long opinion but as for the initial question no I found the story and ending perfect for the final piece of the story

Message 23 of 47 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
289 posts

Mar 31, 2010

If anybody still has a problem, with the story, then maybe u need to play the game again and pay more attention to the story bcuz it was pretty cleear to me

Message 24 of 47 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
169 posts

Mar 31, 2010

I kinda get where you are goig with that but I do have to disagree with some of the stuff you said. Sure we might be two different people so we can't possibly like the same stuff but the ods.. well out of all the battles I probably liked ?Hermes the most. Simply because it was a fun "battle". Sure he might not explode at the end and all but at last the fight was different for once. The rest of the battles were usually just hack and slash until the God is dead. Plus.. Hermes was entertaining.. I actually wish that we would have seen more of him..

I do have to agree with the Zues battle. It was ok and I actually thought that it was the hardest God to fight but it was simply.. well, the Santamonica Studio could have done really a better job at it. I did like the idea of the last scene where you get to use the circle button until the whole screen is covered in blood... its kinda of a interesting idea to let the player stop when he wants.. even if I was actually waiting for the blood on the screen to disappear so that I could see what actually happens..

Not to mention that awful part where Kratos turns black and has to wander around in the darknes..  that part should have been a much better expierience. The one thing that stud out about it was the Athena part. The one where you continue to walk and then the screen zoom in to Athena and with you in the background. I actually stop there and thought if I should go back to her or keep on walking. Then I remembered that just a few minutes/seconds ago someone in the game said that you have to forgive yourself, so yeah, I thought about that and forgave myself for killing her in GOW2 and thought that I should keep on going.. it could have been such a nice emotional sequence. Yet I run into a invisible wall and realized that I had to go back to Athena to progress in that part which obviously destroyed the whole moment for me.. :'(

GOW3 was nice and all but it was missing that special something that made GOW 1 and 2 such great games. Sure there was everything there. The God killing the gore and violence.. and sex. Yet it was missing something that would make it so memorable like GOW 1 or 2. Personally GOW 2 is my favorite game. I replayed it probably 20 times or more and didn't get bored of it simply because it was so much fun and entertaining.. the only thing that probably helped with that was that I could replay the game with all my powered up weapons.. So all I did was to farm souls just to see how much I could get.. yet in GOW3 this fun is gone.. at last until SS released a patch that allows us to do just that.

The game did had its moments like the above mentioned first person scene with Zues.And I liked Hercules too. But overall it wasn't so great.. it was just more of the same which obviously isn't a bad thing but I really wish that they would have done something to make it actually outstanding and not just.. GOW..

As for the end.. well, I can't say that I would have liked it that Kratos kills himself but to defend that scene. People change over time so why shouldn't Kratos be allowed to do that? Besides that.. he might still be alive. Even if I highly doubt that..

Sure I would have loved to see something better at the end of the game but yeah.. anyway, thins actually reminds me of something. Stig or whoever it was said that SS might release the real end of the game as free DLC. Which obviously is cool. Apparently it involved a big Titan battle or something. So I am looking forward to that.. =) (I really hope that they release it).

But one more thing.. Athena.. yeah, I totally agree with that.. I mean wtf? It was awfully cheap to bring her back just like that. I mean.. a higher existence.. yeah right.. she should have just stayed dead.. that would have made the one moment at the end of the game even better... at last as long as it would have been done as I said..

And I am also wondering why she wanted Zues dead.. I mean.. wth? Yeah I just said it before.. people change over time but from where comes this change of heart? Why does she want Zues dead all of a sudden? Or perhaps that wasn't even Athena but some other odd God that just tried to trick Kratos.. and succeeded.. (o.0).. at last thats what I thought when I first saw her in the game.. unfortunately I was wrong..

Anyway, I kinda got lost and forgot what I was going to say so I will just say it again.. the game was ok but it could/should have been so much more...

One more thing.. what was up with all those drawn cutscenes? Couldn't they afford real CG scenes or perhaps do them themselfs? Sure those drawn sutscenes look nice and all but there were simply too many of them in the game. It should have just been one or two with the rest of them actually being real CG ones just like in GOW2... or just simple in-engine scenes.. either way.. thats another thing that I didn't really like about the game.. :/

Another thing came to my mind.. as decent as GOW3 was.. I really hope that it doesn't even get nominated for GOTY yet alone wins it. Its simply not good enough to win GOTY.. there are other games out there that deserve the GOTY tittle more then GOW3..

Message 25 of 47 (25 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Apr 1, 2010

There's a lot that needs to be considered like the fact that they were swithcing platforms, different directors in charge, and so forth. And there is a lot of benefit of the doubt that has to be given to SSM. But even when you take the game itself and dissect it, and even when you take GOW 1 and 2 and dissect thewhole series, there's still a lot of inconsistencies. I pointed out a lot of them and surely there is some stuff I can still add to the topic.

I think that my dislike with the ending is in the way they built up to the resolution. It's not to say that the game sucked 'cause I did play it through to the end, and there were parts of the game that was actually interesting - but as a whole, the game just doesn't deliver - especially the ending. And there are reasons to defend or reject Kratos' death, but when you go back and rethink everything, you just can't help but wonder "Why?". In GOW 1 and 2 you always have an answer to motif. Here, you're kinda left high and dry. And if you're not interested on the stuff below the surface then you can say that this game was the best thing to come to the PS3, but if you are interested in pealing back a layer or two, analizing character development and story layout, then you would not be happy with it.

It's not a bad game but it is definately not Game of the Year

Thanks all for your responses

And Takashy87: that point about Athena being infected is a good thing to consider

Message 26 of 47 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
230 posts

Apr 1, 2010

Well someparts didn't make sense, but not every god needed a violent send off, Poseidon, Hades, Helios, Zeus, Hera, and Hermes all died appropiately. Now the Athena thing I can agree on, but I guess since she is the god of wisdom, logic, and reasoning she would discover a " higher existence" so they went with it. I liked the Pandora part because it showed a different side of Kratos as he struggled to keep her alive, it gave a fatherly role especially when the part where he says refering to Hephaestus "he did what every father should do protect his child" which he failed to do. Overall I'll admit part III is weakest in story compared to the others, but in combat its #1 with the most entertaining and fluid combat of the games. I loved it and was a fitting end. Btw in the end there was chaos just look at the whole damn world destroyed.

Message 27 of 47 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
169 posts

Apr 1, 2010

xRoBx23 wrote:

Well someparts didn't make sense, but not every god needed a violent send off, Poseidon, Hades, Helios, Zeus, Hera, and Hermes all died appropiately. Now the Athena thing I can agree on, but I guess since she is the god of wisdom, logic, and reasoning she would discover a " higher existence" so they went with it. I liked the Pandora part because it showed a different side of Kratos as he struggled to keep her alive, it gave a fatherly role especially when the part where he says refering to Hephaestus "he did what every father should do protect his child" which he failed to do. Overall I'll admit part III is weakest in story compared to the others, but in combat its #1 with the most entertaining and fluid combat of the games. I loved it and was a fitting end. Btw in the end there was chaos just look at the whole damn world destroyed.

The Pandora part was actually kinda weird. Mainly because it looked like the devs took a lot of old ideas and just showed them into the game. If you ever watched some of the videos that came with GOW (or was it GOW2?) then you would know that one of their earlier ideas was to have Kratos with a baby on his back and having Pandora on on your back/shoulder reminded me a lot of that idea..

Actually a lot of the things that you see in GOW3 are kinda of so so when it comes to orginality.. using old ideas is fine with me mainly because they worked but a lot of stuff was simply unimaginative.. The first boss battle at the start of the game was nice and all and it makes sense to do that since GOW1 and 2 had those big set piece battles too, but the problem I had with it was that it wasn't as awesome as the other two. Whe nyou first played GOW1 you probably thought.. man thats one awesome boss battle.. when you played you GOW2 you got your colossus and he was a neat boss... and then you get Poseidon.. I mean.. it works but it just like the rest of the game it missed that special something that would make it outstanding like the first boss battles in GOW 1 and 2...

Also the part with those cubes.. was I actually the only person to think of the "The Cube" movie when I got to know that those cubes are filled with traps and that they move around? Just like in the Cube movie.. >.>

Also...

Bizzy_Bee wrote:

Thanks all for your responses

And Takashy87: that point about Athena being infected is a good thing to consider

What do you mean by infected? I kinda don't it sorry.. :s

Message 28 of 47 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
45 posts

Apr 1, 2010

i really loved the ending and story, but if everyone thinks he is still alive i accept god of war 4 with open hands

Message 29 of 47 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
45 posts

Apr 1, 2010

or dlc too

Message 30 of 47 (25 Views)
0 Likes