Feb 18 2011
By: Slash_Raptor First Son 2 posts

God of War III Weapons = Lame?

4 replies 213 views Edited Feb 18, 2011

God of War II had cool weapons, but they weren't as versatile as the Blades of Athena. Then during the lead up to God of War III's release, Santa Monica Games revealed that there would be more weapons in God of War III and that the weapons would be much more user friendly and versatile. All we knew about God of War III at the time was that it would be the final chapter, that it would have much better graphics and that Kratos would be able to use a pair of lion shaped boxing glove things. This is all true, and so was Santa Monica Games' claim about more versatile weapons. However, what they had failed to mention was that 3 out of the 4 new weapons would be pretty much identical to Kratos' trademark Blades of Chaos / Athena / Exile. I for one feel like they ripped us off. Whatever happened to the Spear of Destiny and the Barbarian Hammer? Kratos managed to keep the Golden Fleece and Icarus' Wings from his last adventure, so why was he not able to keep the weapons from his last adventure too? Sure, he lost all the experience he had earned in God of War II, but not his weapons... This is especially weird because God of War III is direct continuation of God of War II. So, again I ask, where did the Spear and Hammer go? Any idea as to why they just magically disappered? What's your favorite weapon from the God of War series?

Message 1 of 5 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6439 posts

Re: God of War III Weapons = Lame?

Feb 22, 2011

Wow. You really don't like this game do you?

Anyway, I'd have to go with the weapons Hephaustus gave him.

Check out my PlayStation dedicated blog, PlayStation Persuasion! playstationpersuasion.tumblr.com

PSN: ScreamAimFire999
Message 2 of 5 (213 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1336 posts

Feb 22, 2011

the idea behind the weapons was that they focused on an aspect of the combat while the blades of athena were balanced

nemean cestus:heavy damage

claws of hades:long range and magic(ironically its magic was the least usefull)

nemesis whip:combo building and hold attacks

i needed to use all of the weapons at least once(in fact i needed the claws of hades only in the cerberus breeder battle)so i dont think they are completely useless.unlike other entries they worked and they were fun to play with

my favorite is the cestus,i could easilly have this instead of the blades.also the spear and shield from gos were great as well

Message 3 of 5 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Mar 7, 2011

They should have made the weapns vary among each other, and be unique. JUST LIKE IN GOW2. From the barbarian hammer, to the spear of destiny, then theres the blade of olympus, that was EPIC. In GOW3 it's pretty much the same double handed chain weapon 4 times!

Message 4 of 5 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Mar 17, 2011

Most of the "weapon questions" have been answered, so I'll develop on the other questions.

The previous weapons did "Magically Disappear", and I don't mind how this worsens the already jagged consitency throughout all six games, but we've got to remember that this is just a game, and it is very complicated for the Dev team to  go into too much realism. For example, if the GoWII weapons disappearing irritates you, shouldn't the fact that Kratos' current weapons aren't stocked onto himself, but just disappear/reappear at will bother you?

As for your last question, my favorite weapon throughout the epic franchise would have to be the Nemean Cestus.

Beating my step-brother's face into mush, disposing of every grunt, beheading every Chimera, degutting every Centaur, pulling the eyes out every Cyclopse, detesting every Satyr, stepping on every Skorpius spawn to mama Skorpius herself, decapiting every Gorgon, incapacitating every Minotaur, trifecting every Cerberus, crushing every last Talos, and up to besting Zeus himself, these glorified boxing gloves are my best bet.

Message 5 of 5 (213 Views)
0 Likes