First Son
1 posts

Re: God of War 3 - Freezing Issues

Jan 8, 2012

I have not been able to play for sometime now like months I am stuck on the water horse it hasn't loaded ever since I took the game over a friends house and it played fine... but on mine it loads up and then goes black wtf any ideas??

Message 391 of 434 (1,024 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 15, 2012

Well, one more guy with the same problem but Im not getting freezing issues, my PS3 didnt recognize my game. I already changed the game in different store 3 times

Kinda sad cuz I bought the PS3 only to mainly play this game

Message 392 of 434 (1,024 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
74 posts

Jan 15, 2012

If your PS3 doesnt recognize the game, then most probably what is wrong is the Bluray lens and not the game.   GOW III is a demanding game so you need everything right; from lens to HDD.   Hope it helps.

Message 393 of 434 (1,024 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
74 posts

Jan 15, 2012

As I mentioned before, on previous posts in this forum; you need to change your HDD.   I know that the game doesnt install, but I think it use the HDD somehow for streaming info.

I got the same problem, but on a different part of the game.   My problem ocurred when I was climbing Mt. Olympus while Hades throws a Titan into oblivion/ocean.   The game kept loading till the end of time. I was wondering what was wrong.....then a couple of days later I changed HDD because I needed more space for movies and PSN games.   And guess what, when I tried the game again I didnt get any problem and could finish the game.    Since then, the game continues to run perfectly; I played it last week again, and it was flawless.

My PS3 is from 2006 (launch), so maybe the HDD was old and had some error zones.  I really dont know what the main problem is, but changing HDD fixed it.

Hope this helps. 

Message 394 of 434 (1,024 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Jan 16, 2012

I've had lots of instances where game discs don't read anymore. Every time this happens to me I open my PS3, remove the bluray drive and open it, use a cotton swab and high proof isopropyl alcohol to VERY gently clean the lens, and use some compressed air to blow dust out the PS3, put it all back together and I'm golden. If you google "clean ps3 lens" you should be able to find some tutorials if you need 'em.

"You're too weak to defeat me!" -Bakuryu, BR2
"Flock off feather face, or you can stick around and find out the hard way!" -Dante, DMC
Message 395 of 434 (1,024 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 19, 2012

I havent really touched this game in awhile after I completed the game (by the way new to these forumns). I created a new game it doesnt just freeze on me though 1st the audio sync starts to loop when the titan gets stabbed in the chest than i double jump to the next platform than...freeze(beginning of the game). My first thought maybe the disc is scratch or something checked it seems to be good. I've been a loyal customer and you do me hard like this one word:"Ridiculous". Hope you guys can fix this.

-60g fat

Message 396 of 434 (1,024 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Apr 9, 2012

Real Fix

So I may have found a viable real fix...

A little background... I first played through GoW3 on my launch 60gb. It played perfectly with no glitches or anything. Actually, played through it twice; one for regular play, and one to achieve chaos mode achievements. A couple years later, I bought a 160gb slim. I wanted to play some copy protected saves on the new ps3, so I used the transfer utility to copy everything from my 60gb to my slim. Essentailly making the slim an exact duplicate (down to the secret hidden encrypted ps3 code) This is where I ran into some issues.

When I first tried playing on my slim from the loaded save-game and preferences file, I found that the audio would loop and then it would crash/glitch/ and sometimes do the unending omega symbol rotating. I figured something went wrong with the transfer and I should simply just restart the game from scratch. I found that everytime I would at first climb up Mount Olympus in the beginning after jumping off of Gaia after the 1st/first water-horse battle, it would inevitably freeze or showing the unending omega symbol loop. After not being able to get passed that point and only lasting minutes from a save-game point before it did the audio loop and would freeze, I reluctantly conceded/called it quits since I have beaten the game and was just simply wanting to go have some Kratos fun. I let it go seemingly for good.

This is what I have done to attempt remedy the problem: Cleaned the disk, played with the patch updates, played without the patch updates, played off a different account on the same ps3, played with a transferred (from 60gb) save-game and/or preference file, deleted the preference file and played completely from scratch/newly bought, and simply almost reformatted the system. I did find out that the game still worked perfectly on my 60gb launch ps3.

In the end, i wanted to still showcase this game and whenever I tried, I found that I could never get passed the beginning part of climbing Mount Olympus.

Here are the solutions to my audio cycling/freezing & the unending omega symbol rotating...

For getting my game saves to work, apparantly, I had subtitles enabled in the game saves. But, for whatever reason, it had been disabled from the preferences on my slim. Out of sheer luck/coincidence, i re-enabled them after trying to start from a fresh preferences file (I really hated deleting the preferences file each time; I had to frigging sit there and watch the intro each and every time I deleted), and found that it wouldn't freeze glitch and/or audio cycle anymore. So, apparantly, copying the game save and not syncing it with the proper preferences it had in the older system made it glitch? I dunno, but I searched high and low to find an answer to this specific problem and couldn't find it. Hopefully it helps any who has been put in my specific set of circumstances (playing a saved game from an old ps3 to new slim)

Now, for the main issue at hand, the unending omega symbol rotating. I had started from scratch with a brand new preferences file. And I wanted to go through the game from the beginning/proper as well as I had no other choice as the other game saves were at a difficulty that I hadn't wished to go through. After some exhausting research, I found that the only resolutions found out by those out there was either running a different set of game discs (most likely rented), installing a higher capacity hard drive, restoring the ps3 to factory settings, or even deleting demos from the ps3. Their explanation was something akin to something in the way the system stores and runs information. It was implied that although GoW3 runs off the disc and doesn't install any game data (outside of patches) like Gran Turismo 5, the ps3 still plays it with a cache or certain setup where it runs off the system still. I was unwilling to do any of those suggestions. But it struck me with an idea. If it does need to use the system, and somewhere a cache or something is improperly set up, maybe I could do what I can short of resetting to factory defaults. Since I had just walked my nephew into restoring his ps3, I knew of some options. In the end...I got into the ps3's recovery mode and Restored the File System! After this...it worked cherry.

So long story, short: Go into recovery mode and restore the filesystem. This will probably help with the unending omega symbol rotation. As for the audio cycling and/or freezes, fiddle with the preferences or even try running it with the preferences file deleted (should back it up if you don't wish to lose chaos difficulty and/or challanges/combat arena). That or restore the file system and see if that doesn't work for you. I have been plagued for 2 years off of this mess and am so glad and satisfied that I have resolved it! Good luck to you...

Message 397 of 434 (1,024 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Apr 13, 2012

I'm amazed at how many bugs are being reported. Well, throw another one on the pile. I'm stuck at Hermes. At first, it froze just before the catapult part of the chase, then it was looping audio of footsteps right after the fight and then it froze. I couldn't load the auto-save so I did the chase again. Same freezing problem at the catapult. It really breaks up the experience when you have to do the chase over and over.

Another audio loop and subsequent freeze happened at the beginning of the game, but that seemed to be an anomaly.

Any help in 2012 or am I two years too late?

If not, that's a shame. I just beat the first God of War games without any problems. I won't be purchasing any more games from Sony Santa Monica if I can't beat their awesome, yet surprisingly buggy God of War 3. Oh well.

Edit: I tried the above poster's solution. That didn't work either. 

Message 398 of 434 (1,024 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Apr 14, 2012

Did you try turning on/off your subtitles and/or tutorialsI

I know you said you tried what I had suggested in the previous post, but just for confirmation-sake: did you also restore file system and/or rebuild database (i think the rebuilding database may delete stuff so backup)?

Also, don't forget to make sure the bd disc is clean without smudges, and you try playing it with and without the game patches?

As an update to my ordeal, I am where JKP92 is and have just passed that part without incident. Actually, I have had no other incidents happen up to this part! I am so relieved and happy...

Good luck to you JKP92...

Message 399 of 434 (1,024 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
11 posts

Apr 14, 2012

I tried everything you suggested. Also, using a different poster's solution, I deleted everything that  had to do with GoW3 off of my HDD and deleted a bunch of data I didn't need or want, and I saved a save file on a USB stick. Then I copied the file back on to the HDD, didn't apply the patch update, and did the chase with Hermes again. I managed to make it past the catapult only to have the sound start looping after the statue is smashed. I can fight Hermes fine, but once I beat him, footsteps keep looping and Hermes' dialogue is cut off. I can do the QTE where you cut off his legs, subtitles like, "Go away!" and "Leave me alone!" appear, but Hermes isn't saying anything. Once I cut off the second leg and he falls to the ground, the audio loops again and the game freezes up.

Message 400 of 434 (1,024 Views)
0 Likes