Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 25 2010
By: RVardeman First Son 5 posts

God of War novel

15 replies 540 views Edited May 25, 2010

Kratos would show no fear entering here.  I'll endeavor to be Spartan about it, too.  I'm Bob Vardeman and GoW1 was just released today.  I'm co-author.  You're the experts on the game but I'm more than willing to answer questions about writing, writing this book, the perils of even pretending to know every detail of GoW(1,2,3).

<p>

I'm just getting down to writing GoW2 and would appreciate comments about your favorite scenes in the game.

<p>

Conquer!

<p>

Bob

Message 1 of 16 (540 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5519 posts

Re: God of War novel

May 26, 2010

So the GoW1 Novel is released then.  Noted.  While you're offering, could you note some 'notables' on places where one can purchase this product?

(Experts) Yeah, maybe.

(Willing) Lovely.

(Perils/Pretending) Indeed.

(CoO/Betrayal) These don't at all effect the story in the GoW1 novel I take it.  No flashbacks/memories to his life well before the Aegean encounter with the Hydra I take it.  Or am I mistaken?

(Canon) Just to be clear on this.  Are these books just 'extra story' (akin to fanfiction) or are they indeed "canon" (unless they find themselves retconned)?

(Favored scenes) Like what exactly?  In-game/CGI cutscenes, QTEs, scripted events, etc.  Something strictly story related I imagine.  I'm more a gameplay fellow myself, but I can play ball if I'm more certain of what's being requested.

~The last question for the moment.  Approximately how many pages is the GoW1 Novel? 

NOTE: I'm somewhat concerned about the 'binding' since the GoWII guide fell apart on me within hours of purchase.  I...wasn't amused we'll say.

Message 2 of 16 (540 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

May 26, 2010

The novel is available on Amazon in both print and ebook (Kindle) format.  A friend said he saw copies at B&N, so it is widely avaiable.

You, experts, definitely.

There are some flashbacks for Kratos about how he became the Ghost of Sparta and how Ares manipulated him.  More about his past is forthcoming in GoW2 and especially GoW3.

Since Sony controls the book's content and I have worked closely on the details put in to elaborate on GoW1 story, I'd say canon and not fanfic.  For instance, I couldn't put in anything that would contradict what is in the game, though details not mentioned are certainly added to expand on the story (eg how the Architect controls the Temple) and what's going on among the gods in Olympus should give a better background for the tribulations Kratos faces--the gods have their own agendas and humans are mere pawns to them.  Kratos happens to be a pawn not easily moved.

A smidgeon over 300 pages long.

Of the many things I'm responsible for, the glue used in bonding the books isn't one of them.  I can't help you there.

Message 3 of 16 (540 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5519 posts

May 27, 2010

(Available) Amazon?  A pity I didn't do business with them for the "Apollo" skin. *still waiting for a chance to get that*  I'll look into this soon enough.

(Flashbacks) Noted.  I'd known the comic to cover this ground, but wasn't sure what the first novel would do.

(Canon) That would certainly add considerable value to them.  Though that still leaves them vulnerable (like the games) to being retconned by a new entry.  This is to be expected.  Shouldn't be too big a concern I trust.

(Architect) Oh?  Here I wasn't expecting that sort of coverage.  Maybe something for the Body Burner, Village Oracle, etc.  Though I don't expect as such.  Seems as though the Boat Captain get a bit of extra storytime in that excerpt (if indeed I understood what I read).  I'm curious to hear more of Athena and Kratos' thoughts on each other.  Aphrodite helping Kratos (lamely) to best Ares *her lover* is somewhat amusing.  Enough to warrant her thoughts.  Again, not expected.

(Agendas/Pawns) Typical deities.

Indeed Kratos is something of a problematic 'pawn' at that.

(Length) Ah, good.

(Binding) I'll deal with it.  If it becomes a problem, I could just take it apart and scan the pages to make a pdf for my own ease of reading.  It wouldn't take much for a guest or my pets to frustrate me as with the GoWII guide case mentioned before.  Though that would limit my ability to read on-the-go somewhat.  I don't expect to suffer this again though.

(GoS) This title is to add some new bits of canon between GoW1 and GoWII.  Sort of like the questionably canon Betrayal.  I imagine there is some consideration to be done with regards to these titles in the next novel then.  Or is that not such a concern?

~Thanks for the prompt response

Message 4 of 16 (540 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1336 posts

May 27, 2010

hello welcome to the forums.

heres my question

you mentioned that the story will include details about whats going on in olympus.are we going to see just the reactions of the gods about whats happening to athens(ares attacking the city)and pandora temple(kratos searching for pandoras box),or are we going to see how the results of the story of the first game affected the story of the rest ?(hints about the evils of pandoras box, haephetus betrayal revealed etc)

Message 5 of 16 (540 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

May 27, 2010

Definitely a lot of the politics (and behidn the scenes deal-making) on Olympus among the gods, with Zeus & Athena being in forefront.

What happens when Pandora's Box is opened shows up at the beginning of GoW2.

Not so much on Hephaestus.  Want to save something for later on!  (And Hades, too).

The idea is to add details and strengthen  the rationale behind some of the game elements.  The action is great and what occupies a player, but the question has to arise: how did Kratos get here?  The book(s) expand.  (Fingers crossed on that!)  But this expansion is limited by length and so many interesting characters have to be slighted to keep the quest moving forward.  It might be fun to consider short stories based on some of the characters as a further "filling-in" of the story.

Message 6 of 16 (540 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

May 27, 2010

There are so many characters that could be expanded.  The Body Burner is certainly one (he doesn't really get his due in the novel) but the Village Oracle is a constant presence.  The Boat Captain is likely to show up again <g>  But there is only so much space in any one book.

With only a few games/novels it's hard but not impossible to maintain canon continuity.  The longer series with multiple authors are  impossible to keep 100% faithful.  As a wit once said, the difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense.  We demand far more from fiction in terms of being consistent than we do of our lives.  (Undoubtedly the result of Pandora's Box being opened <g>)

Message 7 of 16 (540 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
116 posts

May 28, 2010

Will Gaia's involvement be expanded upon in this novel? By this I mean will we hear her thoughts and see her plotting? Will she narrate as she has done in the first two games? And will there be any hints about the "other one" mentioned in God of War 3? In case you haven't played it yet, towards the end of God of War 3 during Kratos' final battle with Zeus, Gaia shows up and Zeus comments that she should have chosen the "other one" suggesting that Kratos was not her first choice to make war against the gods. I ask because if there were ever a time for this "other one" to appear, now seems about right.

Message 8 of 16 (540 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1288 posts

May 29, 2010

RVardeman wrote:

There are so many characters that could be expanded.  The Body Burner is certainly one (he doesn't really get his due in the novel) but the Village Oracle is a constant presence.  The Boat Captain is likely to show up again <g>  But there is only so much space in any one book.

With only a few games/novels it's hard but not impossible to maintain canon continuity.  The longer series with multiple authors are  impossible to keep 100% faithful.  As a wit once said, the difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense.  We demand far more from fiction in terms of being consistent than we do of our lives.  (Undoubtedly the result of Pandora's Box being opened <g>)

Hi Robert Vardeman. I am glad you came to the forums. So characters are going to be more dynamic, correct? Will you put more depth into not very well known characters such as most of the gods ( Artemis, Hermes, Hera, Aphrodite, Ares, etc)? In addition, Kratos is a tragic hero, therefore, I guess you will show him not only how he performed his duties as a captain of the Spartan army  but also how he was as a faithful husband and as a loving dad.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 16 (540 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Thank you and congrats on a great book!

May 30, 2010

The book is great! I have been a fan of the God of War series since it first came out in March 2005. Naturally because I have been into anything Greek Mythology since I was a little kid and have been a hardcore gamer all my life. 

But anyways, I just wanted to congratulate the author on keeping with the God of War games and Greek mythology as much you did. The book is awesome and every page I read MADE me want to replay the games, which I did. (Not everytime I read a page, though.)

IF God of War is made into a movie, it should be based off of Robert Vardeman's novel of God of War.

Message 10 of 16 (540 Views)