Dec 21 2009
By: Romudeth I Only Post Everything 1285 posts

Best/most useful costume to wear during speed run

7 replies 868 views Edited Dec 21, 2009

I need to do the speed run to get my platinum trophy so I need some advice with regards to the costume I should wear during this.

Message 1 of 8 (868 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1217 posts

Re: Best/most useful costume to wear during speed run

Dec 21, 2009

I just wore sweatpants and a tank top I didn't know we had to dress up to.....OH YOU MEAN KRATOS...hee hee ho ha...when I did the GOW1 Jason McDonald trophy speed run I just avoided fighting certain enemies (sewers, gates of Athens/desert, anywhere you weren't trapped in by red wall, etc) and I didn't bother with all the chests/secrets... I think I made it in 3 and 1/2 hours or so (I honestly can't remember)...but I know I didn't use a bonus play costume. However, if I had to pick I would go with the infinate magic one (cow?) and blast through that muther! LOL

Photobucket
Message 2 of 8 (868 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1285 posts

Dec 21, 2009

Thanks for replying w8ing4march. You're awesome to the nth degree.

Well since no one bothered to reply to this yesterday I went ahead and started the run with the Ares armor. I am about to start the challenge of Atlas with 1hr and 8 min in so far. I think that's ok.

So yeah I think if I get to the upper part of Pandora by the 2 hour mark, get to Hades by the 3rd and get to Ares by the 4th that trophy will be mine! I heard that someone was able to beat the game in under 1 hr but I don't know....that sounds pretty fishy to me. You can't skip cinemas so this person beat the game in 30 mins? I don't know...

Message 3 of 8 (868 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5836 posts

Dec 21, 2009

(Difficulties) These only address your Armor % (collisions are tied to this *lower = higher*), Power % and aggressiveness of foes.  Costumes control these factors *save aggressiveness* and MP/HP/EXP orb % *doesn't affect EXP bonuses in descriptors*.

(Costumes) Bubbles and Chef of War are out of the running.  Default is what it is.

Ares Armor is 200% in all fields. *100%s on Magic, but Easy will alter this*  On Easy, your power and armor will be even greater *2x*.  Nevermind RotG which doubles power and increases defense while adding 'tank' properties.

Tycoonius will drop your Armor substantially, but Easy would balance this out (while your collisions get stronger).  It increases power to 200% (like with Ares Armor) and EXP to 400%.  As such, EXP chests aren't really much of a concern.  Hits taken will regenerate well enough so the threat of death isn't too great even with the Armor as such.

For these two cases, you should consider focusing on direct assaults to overpower foes.  Spells are NOT tied to Attack % so they won't see a bonus.  The Blades and Artemis will however.  RotG will just make them that much stronger.  With a certain exploit, you can get regenerating magic to nearly match what another attire offers.

Dairy B*st*rd (because this place actually thinks that's a 'naughty' word) obviously grants Infinite MP.  It also gives 200% HP and EXP orb worth like Ares Armor.  It has default (100%) Armor and halved Power (balanced out by 'Easy').  The approach here is brainless.  Just whore PR (preferably lvl2+).  When you get AoH, use that too.  Mix the two together and the challenge of a forced fight slips away.

Skips can be helpful at cutting down on time.  If you're interested in learning of some of the less difficult cases, I'd be happy to teach you.  The point of this run is merely getting the trophy I take it?  Do you have any reservations about being a tad more cheap than initially planned?

It's easier to pull off skips with regenerating or Infinite MP.  RotG with Athena's Blessing (lvl5 Blades) can mimic this, but the limits are readily observed.

~Your call.  With just speed as a concern (not leveling or other 'trophies'), your current rate should be fast enough.

NOTE: If you're talking about the runs by satvara and tyrhhjy, I know those fellows.  I was part of the speedrunning (aid) scene.  AKheon's Glitch FAQ archives much of their learnings.  For GoW1, GoWII and CoO.  GoWIII will be no different.  We require runners to advance times in CoO and GoWII (long overdue).  54 minutes in GoW1 is about as good as it gets.  Skipping the cinematics is possible with another exploit/glitch.  There's a more extreme version but we don't fancy running around with a black screen *not good for recording*.  Look up YT user "tyrhhjy" to see his performance.  He does us a great service with his showing.  That's years of tactics, glitches, etc. being put to work in a masterful performance.  Shame he, like me, lacks good recording equipment.

Message 4 of 8 (868 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1217 posts

Dec 21, 2009

Romudeth wrote:

Thanks for replying w8ing4march. You're awesome to the nth degree. AWWW you're sweet..no problem...most of us are here to help others to enjoy GOW like we do!

Well since no one bothered to reply to this yesterday I went ahead and started the run with the Ares armor. I am about to start the challenge of Atlas with 1hr and 8 min in so far. I think that's ok. Sounds good so far

So yeah I think if I get to the upper part of Pandora by the 2 hour mark, get to Hades by the 3rd and get to Ares by the 4th that trophy will be mine! I heard that someone was able to beat the game in under 1 hr but I don't know....that sounds pretty fishy to me. You can't skip cinemas so this person beat the game in 30 mins? I don't know... I think I checked my time when I was fighting the giant Minotaur and it was almost 3 hours, so you should be fine...and yea cheating..eh..."glitching" through a GOW game to me is like that guy that eats 4,000 hot dogs in under 15 minutes...I mean it makes most people go "WHOA" but not bc they're impressed with skill. It's actually kinda silly and really dumb IMO, but to each their own huh? Good luck I hope you're actually done when this posts! Woman Wink

Photobucket
Message 5 of 8 (868 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
1285 posts

Dec 21, 2009

I beat the game in under 3 and a half hours. I didn't check my exactly time but when i saved just before ares it was at 3:10. I could have gotten a shorter time but I did stop to get some orbs and stuff and after I was in Hades and saw the timer at less than 3hrs I kinda took my time since there was no real need to rush.

I saw some youtube videos of people using glitches to get those impossible times btw. I can't believe I didn't consider glitches when thinking how it was possible to get such times. I don't really have a problem with it but this game doesn't need glitching to be beaten in under 3 hours. But to each his own.

Thanks for the replies!

Message 6 of 8 (868 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1217 posts

Dec 22, 2009

CONGRATS man...seriously! Woman Wink

Photobucket
Message 7 of 8 (868 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5836 posts

Dec 23, 2009

Sounds like the usual casual fallback when in the presence of a superior player/performance.  Even in runs without skips and major exploits, a run in GoW1 could be done in about 02:30:00-03:00:00.  The run done by ballofsnow used exploits too.  Even had a skip that put Artemis lifts to work as I recall.

You don't believe it takes skill to excute these exploits, skips, etc. effectively?  Or to keep pace?  What of the timing?  What of the bouts where fighting tactics are the only concern?  The tactics?  So readily to discredit the run done by tyrhhjy.  Then there are runs like those done (earlier) by Shen for GoWII where we didn't yet have such exploits.  Just good tactics.  Those were somewhere in the 3 hour mark on Titan settings.

(Help) As am I.  As I please anyway.

~To each their own indeed.  Pity some are so readily offended by the style of others. 

Message 8 of 8 (868 Views)
0 Likes