Nov 03 2010
By: angelspawn77 I Only Post Everything 1279 posts

GOW GoS demo Impressions here :)

19 replies 40 views Edited Nov 3, 2010

So I just played the demo and I gotta say it was awesome, I liked some things, I loved some things and only disliked about 2 things. First off the game's graphics look better than Chains which I think we all already knew, the game does suffer from some screen tearing, but hopefully they can address that before release. The game plays pretty much the same with some new moves, I LOVE the tackle move, taking a guy down and punching him repeatedly then going for the awesome finishing blow is freaking AWESOME! I also noticed that they added some things that GOW3 did into this game, such as the triangle strong attack is a powerful cross slam of the blades like in GOW3, also the ability to run while pushing things, that made things much easier and less tedious when having to push stuff around. I also noticed that Kratos gets blood splattered on him like in GOW3 as well, at least I think I saw blood on him, if I saw correctly then that is a very nice addition as well.

The spear and shield are fun to use, I love how it has more than 1 way to attack, you got your long range which is throwing spears, you got your shielded attack and you got your regular attacks. The shielded attack where Kratos thrusts the spear really fast is great and reminded me of Dante's attack in DMC, which im sure they got their inspiration from due to the GOW team talking about that game being a big inspiration. The boss battle was awesome, the part that caught me off guard was when you are fighting the minotaur and you go to hit O when its above his head and right when Kratos is about to do it, here comes the monster and grabs you while you then proceed to own it!

Now on to my dislike, I did not like that the weapons and magic are both on the D-pad, does that mean there will be only 2 weapons and 2 magic? I sure hope not. Also the buttons are slightly different from Chains, but nothing you cant get used to. Another thing is some of the animations such as kills are recycled, I dont mind if say it was used in the last game, but for example the minotaur kill was the same as in GOW1 and GOW2, it just doesnt have that same impact anymore. Also I didnt get to finish the demo because it froze on me anyone elses game freeze? it froze for me right after the part where you use that big circular elevator and there is a small river you have to walk down, then some enemies pop up and as I was fighting them it froze, but the sound was still playing, I planned on playing the demo more than once anyway, but just an inconvenience, I hope it doesnt freeze on me all the time there.

Anyways, I had a lot to say on this, lol, definitely looking forward to this game much more now, it looks to be better than Chains of Olympus. What are some of you guys' impressions?

Message edited by Jive Admin at Nov 2, 2010 11:30:58 PM

Message edited by Jive Admin at Nov 2, 2010 11:33:10 PM

"If all on Olympus will deny me my vengeance, then all on Olympus will die"- Kratos, GOW2
Message 19 of 20 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
101 posts

Re: GOW GoS demo Impressions here :)s m

Sep 5, 2010

So here's my mini review from the demo God of War Ghost of Sparta:

:: WHAT I LIKE

- Graphics are awesome, a lot better than Chains of Olympus;

- Kratos has blood on his body this time, just like God of War 3;

- Soundtrack, effetcs, visual effects... excellent. The rain running through the scneario is so tasteful to my eyes

:: WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE

- The new system of weapons / magic thing. I loved the new magic, but I DO hope they change that until November. I loved how intuitive the weapons/magic selection of God of War 3 is. I'd like to see that in Ghost of Sparta. (Select weapons in D-pad and each weapon has it's magic and abilities)

- Screen tearing

:: OVERALL SCORE

9,5 / 10

Hope the producers read our impressions of the demo. We fans want the best of it.

Message 1 of 20 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42149 posts

Sep 5, 2010

I noticed a few framerate drops as well during certain parts (it dipped big time right before the boat crashed).  Otherwise, it was really solid in that area and the graphics are great.  Another gripe of mine however is the weapon switching.  When you climb a wall (and I forgot what other action), you default back to the Blades instead of keeping the Spear & Shield.  I found myself constantly hitting the Weapon button to switch back.  Don't know if they've said anything on that but I'd like to see that fixed.

Message 2 of 20 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
429 posts

Sep 5, 2010

I didn't mind the weapon system, honestly. I think just about all of us love the graphics. They're very nice for a PSP game. This game is like CoO on steriods and I love it. I'll have to work more with the shield and spear, but it was very fun to use and had a very nice powerful weight to it. I loved the eye of atlantis, and can't wait to use it in the game when it's all maxed out. I love that it's a beam instead of an area generated electric magic like in the past with Cronos' Rage. It did run a little slow, but I had no problems with freezing. Overall, I'm very pleased with it and am super stoked for Nov.!

Photobucket
Message 3 of 20 (40 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1279 posts

Sep 5, 2010

SlashZaku wrote:

I noticed a few framerate drops as well during certain parts (it dipped big time right before the boat crashed).  Otherwise, it was really solid in that area and the graphics are great.  Another gripe of mine however is the weapon switching.  When you climb a wall (and I forgot what other action), you default back to the Blades instead of keeping the Spear & Shield.  I found myself constantly hitting the Weapon button to switch back.  Don't know if they've said anything on that but I'd like to see that fixed.

Ah yes, I noticed this too the second time I played it through when I knew that I could use my spear and shield from the start, it does get a bit annoying having to push the weapon button again after a wall, I believe in Chains of Olympus this didnt happen, unless im mistaken. There are some minor inconveniences throughout the demo, but thankfully none are that big, except the freezing part, that DEFINITELY needs to be addressed, but hopefully everything else will get addressed too.

"If all on Olympus will deny me my vengeance, then all on Olympus will die"- Kratos, GOW2
Message 4 of 20 (40 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1336 posts

Sep 5, 2010

angelspawn77 wrote:

SlashZaku wrote:

Ah yes, I noticed this too the second time I played it through when I knew that I could use my spear and shield from the start, it does get a bit annoying having to push the weapon button again after a wall, I believe in Chains of Olympus this didnt happen, unless im mistaken. There are some minor inconveniences throughout the demo, but thankfully none are that big, except the freezing part, that DEFINITELY needs to be addressed, but hopefully everything else will get addressed too.

yeah the freezing starts to become really annoying,sometimes it doesnt even starts the demo,my psp blacks out before the menu shows up

i also hate how the trinitons attack,unless you completely focus on them you cant know when they will attack,they have a really small attack animation.and so does the greyon.for a cyclops level monster he sure attacks fast,you shoulld just always be out of his area of attack

Message 5 of 20 (40 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Re: GOW GoS demo Impressions here :)

Sep 5, 2010

First of all, I haven't got problems about frezzing in my PSP, and I've played the demo several times.

I have to congratulate and say thanks to the people of Ready at Dawn. Such a REAL great job. Hardly any other company can and has been able to make what that guys have done. Great any technical section: modelling, animation, texturing, particle effects,... and something quite difficult and not always gotten, a good levels/scenario design. A lot of care and love is shown.

I'm excited to play the entire game. To know the localizations, final bosses, the story behind Kratos, new "magics", ... Here they have a eager buyer.

Regards.

Message 6 of 20 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1779 posts

Sep 6, 2010

Please, to those who have played the demo, answer one question for me:

Does he still have the same running and rolling animations as in Chains of Olympus?

Don't know why, but those two things always kind of bugged me when I played CoO, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one on this forum. CoO's still one of my PSP favorites (if not THE favorite; Peace Walker's up there too), but seriously, as someone who has played the God of War games on PS2 more times than I can really remember, those two animations look drastically different.

Message 7 of 20 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
429 posts

Sep 6, 2010

It's not that bad. This was addressed in another thread, but it's fixed a little bit. It's not as pansy-ass as in CoO, but I don't think it's exactly the same as the console ones either.

Photobucket
Message 8 of 20 (40 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11145 posts

Sep 6, 2010

I am definitely opting for the DD version of Ghost of Sparta, after killing my fully charged battery in less than 4 hours with the Demo.  I'd be lucky to get 2 1/2 hours out of it with the UMD version.  Then again, I do have a spare battery.

It's graphically intense, and it shows in the rate at which it burns through the battery.  I can play Little Big Planet or even Chains of Olympus (DD versions) for 6 hours at a time on a full charge.

I have a PSP-3001, but I have pretty much abandoned the use of UMDs to save on battery life.

Message 9 of 20 (40 Views)
0 Likes