May 28 2012
By: TheFunkyTroll First Son 25 posts

Question regarding Ascension's setting.

6 replies 113 views Edited May 28, 2012

I have read, from both official and unoffical sources very contradicting info on Ascension's setting.

Some sources, official trailer included, hint that Ascension would happen before Kratos became the Ghost of Sparta. Other sources, also official clearly state Ascension is set six months after Kratos is tricked to kill his family.

However as we all know, Kratos was cursed to be the Ghost of Sparta right after he had slain his wife and daughter.

As you all can see, something does not add up here, or is it just me?

Trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zosM9pUnWk

Article here: http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/4687813?start=0&tstart=0

"Real greatness is what you do with the hand you're dealt."
— Victor Sullivan
Message 1 of 7 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11823 posts

Re: Question regarding Ascension's setting.

May 28, 2012

Todd Pappy said in his interview that we would see Kratos in his 'human form,' before he became Kratos. If I remember correctly, it was also said that the game is staged right after he makes the deal with Ares. I'd imagine that we'll see the story in flashback mode, if not have the previous frame of Kratos playable.

Message 2 of 7 (113 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

May 28, 2012

Trailer lets us believe it's set after Kratos made the deal with Ares, but before he became the Ghost of Sparta.

Ouote from trailer "There was a time before Kratos became the monster known as Ghost of Sparta"

and "A time when in spite of the madness that plagued him, Kratos would break his blood oath to an unjust God".

If I remember it right, it was Todd Papy who said in an interview that Ascension is set six months after Kratos killed his family.

Perhaps all this contradiction is intended? To shroud the truth until the game is released, who knows.

— Victor Sullivan
Message 3 of 7 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5836 posts

May 29, 2012

The conflicting reports will have to be addressed properly in time.  We'll just have to wait on this.

Message 4 of 7 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4860 posts

May 29, 2012

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Todd Pappy said in his interview that we would see Kratos in his 'human form,' before he became Kratos. If I remember correctly, it was also said that the game is staged right after he makes the deal with Ares. I'd imagine that we'll see the story in flashback mode, if not have the previous frame of Kratos playable.

In the red text that I highligted "when did Kratos become Kratos when before he was Kratos?" Sure you meant to say Ghost of Sparta? So it would read " we would see Kratos in his 'human form,'before he became the Ghost of Sparta.

Now I think Todd Papy said Kratos would have the Blades of Chaos. I am thinking that it might start at the ending of the Barbarian War. This is when Kratos makes his vow to Ares. Kratos was still human but he just had the Blades of Chaos serving the God of War.

I would love to see him spend time with his family and show his closeness with them. I know in the comics Calliopie had some illness that Kratos was searching for a cure to save his daughter. Yet I think that was before his vow to Ares.

photo 512d0aca-9476-4802-855d-3554158e2e5e_zps0b4ea223.jpg
Message 5 of 7 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5836 posts

May 30, 2012

>comics

Secondary canon just waiting for a retcon to make them non-canon.

>human

He is always human when we play him.  GoWII came closest with his 'god' state reduced.  GoS was 'god in name only' (title without power).  We're a mortal demi-god.

>spend time with his family

I'd much rather, if wasting time on them at all, see them battered and afraid of him.  Resentful even as GoW1 gave that impression instead.  He was a beast more than a man.  He never once looked for means to return them or be with them.  Only using them for fuel on his mad crusades for vengeance at all costs.

He's a bad person through and through and I like that about him.  Repenting takes away form this.  CoO and GoWIII seem to want to paint a different picture.  I'm not buying what they're selling.

Message 6 of 7 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
25 posts

May 30, 2012

Then again, according to official information released by Sony, Ascension will take place roughly six months after Kratos was tricked to kill his family.

So, which is it? As a result we have confusion which is the reason I started this thread in the first place

— Victor Sullivan
Message 7 of 7 (113 Views)
0 Likes