Nov 25 2009
By: jamesdevil First Son 1 posts

God of War II Black Screen

10 replies 1488 views Edited Nov 25, 2009

After the cutscene in GoWII when you exit the colossus' mouth I get a black screen. The audio is still working and I am able to get to both the start and select messages but I can not see anything. I've restarted from checkpoint, gone from my last save, etc. and nothing works.

Is this a known issue? Anyone else had this problem?

Playing the Collection on a 120 GB Slim that has not had a single issue before.

Message 1 of 11 (1,488 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: God of War II Black Screen

Feb 17, 2010
I have the same problem. has anyone figured out how to get past this?
Message 2 of 11 (1,488 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Feb 18, 2010
I think this game overall is buggy but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. Some people have played through it on a variety of different PS3 console models with no problems and yet some have been getting random freezing and sound bugs on different PS3 models (though the launch consoles seem to be the most reported). If you look around in the forum you will see some people posting random fixes that cured them of their freezing problems, none have worked for me but you might want to try them out. I tried emailing the company responsible for this PS3 remake, BluePoint studios, to ask them if they were aware of these problems or might be working on a patch but I am not holding my breath to get a reply. The only other thing I can think of if it is isn't something patch or firmware related is that there might just be a batch of bad disks that were printed when the game came out. If none of the fixes mentioned on this site work, see if you can either try the game on another person's PS3 or exchange the disk for another one and see if there is any change. Good luck
Message 3 of 11 (1,488 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Mar 2, 2010
****RESOLVED**** The Issue is primarily because you are skipping an important step before you come out of Colossus's Mouth.. I had the same Black Screen Myself... The Last Step before coming out of Colossu's Mouth is the Pendulum Trick in which you need to Swing the Pendulum and then move forward before coming out of mouth.. Complete the Step and the Game will run fine... Its not an issue with the PS3 Consoles... Its just like you are not supposed to skip any Step. Let me know how it works for you....
Message 4 of 11 (1,488 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

May 19, 2010

I'm Having The Same Issue With GOW I.

I Have The Collection Edition For PS3 & I Was Just Completing The "Rooftop of Athens" Mission, When I Fell Off The Bridge When Chasing The Oracle At The End - & Rather Than Load My Last Checkpoint, I Decided To Run From The "Town Square" All The Way Back... However, When I Get To The Room With The Elevator, The Video Cuts Out & I Can Only Hear Myself.  The Select & Start Menu Screens Still Work Fine, But The Video Will Not Load At All.  I Tried A Dozen Different Things, But Cannot Get It To Work... After Having A Small Panic Attack In My Head, I Decided To Just Start The Entire Game Over... (& I'm Pissed About That, Because I Took The Extra Time To Try To Discover All The Secret Gorgon Eye Locations, Feathers, Extra Chests, Etc.  I Don't Believe I Left One Vase Unsmashed...  I Still Have My Last Game Saved If Someone Can Help Me - But As Of Now, I'm Just Going Through The Entire Game, Skipping Most Of The Extras .

Message 5 of 11 (1,488 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

May 22, 2010

Disregard My Last Post... I Just Started A New Game & Replayed The Entire First Half Of The Game Over... 

Lesson Learned: Save Often - & Use All 4 Save Spots, So I Can Backtrack To An Earlier Point In The Level If Needed.

Fun Game Though.  Logged In A 12 Hour Session 2 Days Ago!

Message 6 of 11 (1,488 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jul 15, 2011

Pendulum? Is this a joke? I have this same black screen bug, and I repeatedly restarted from the last checkpoint to look everywhere for a pendulum to swing.... nothin'. Does anyone have a clue as to what in the world this is referring to?

I can't really play the game anymore until I can see what I am doing (still have the audio). I beat GOWIII, then went back to beat GOW I and want to complete the missing link with GOW II... and now this bug which is giving me a headache.

Message 7 of 11 (1,488 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jul 22, 2011

R-Sinha... listen up.. There was a bug that allowed me to escape out of the mouth the first time without swinging the pendulum at all. I never even saw the eye beams until redoing the scene from the last save point by reloading it... I didn't need to swing any pendulum in the first place.... the last check point didn't let me go back far enough, it went straight to the timed exit stage. After loading it up again, I had to do the pendulum task to exit- exactly how it shold have been, also with no black screen this time.

I figured this out about 10 minutes afterr initially posting, but I left my post here just to see if anyone would respond to it. I like to see how pople respond in forums to get a sense of how cool the members are.  I also came back to thank you, R-Sinha, for posting about the pendulum which ultimatelly encouraged me to reinvestigate  what this pendulum business was all about... but I return to find you insulting me? So, I must give credit where due and I thank you for your inital post.That said, insulting me as you have is completely out of line and unacceptable.

Message 8 of 11 (1,488 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jul 22, 2011

@ Wondebum >> My Apologies for the inconvenience and being "rude" but I thought you started making fun of response by your this statement : -  "Pendulum? Is this a joke?". Never give such remarks without trying the solution posted by sumone else. S/He may have given a perfectly working solution but ppl are by nature dismissive in their attitude..

My apologies again if I have inconvinienced you in any way... Keep Playin.. Cheers !!!

Message 9 of 11 (1,488 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Aug 7, 2011

Well, as I mentioned, I never saw that pendulum and saw no one else mentioning it either, so I had no idea what your post even meant. Maybe if I had checked out a walkthrough guide first, I'd have known. But for the record, I didn't call you names, I just repsonded as the baffled person that I was. I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.

But I have beat GOW II since anyway, and then went on toe beat GOW III again on Titan Mode.  With the exception of the occasional bug, it has been an exemplary series. Cheers.

Message 10 of 11 (1,488 Views)
0 Likes