Highlighted
May 02 2013
By: DJMadCow Uncharted Territory 1355 posts

define spam

35 replies 277 views Edited May 2, 2013

Silly ques I know, but many seem to have differing opinions about it.

Using the same type of move in a row consecutively I think many would look upon as "spamming." But how about using the same move during a match frequently but interspersed between other moves. Is that also spam? Are there different degrees of spamming? Is spamming always looked down upon or are certain levels considered okay?

The only reason I bring this up is some may think "Oh that's definitely spamming" but others may say "Actually no, they mixed that move into their playstyle well, even though it was frequently used during a match, overall they balanced it out."

Just curious.

spam ad.jpg

Try "Die for Olympus" in GoWA MP. Click sig to see how
Message 1 of 36 (277 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11800 posts

Re: define spam

May 2, 2013

^lol you've been reading my verbal exchange with exless eh? haha I define spamming as either (A): always using a move as often as possible or (B): always starting every fight with that move. For example, if I fight a sword user and he starts with a jump fake, into a jump slice combo....hes f'ing spamming. Or, if I fight a zeus player and he sends off 7 reckonings in a row when I get him to low health.....that is also spamming.

Hope that makes sense Smiley Happy

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 36 (272 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1355 posts

May 2, 2013

Poseidon4ever wrote:

^lol you've been reading my verbal exchange with exless eh?

Haha, yeah I saw that and it got me thinking. Thought I'd start a new thread about it instead of posting in that one (since it'd be off topic). Just wanted to hear to community's thoughts is all.

How about setups/combos? For example in other fighting games (ex. SF4) there are BnB combos and setups to create an opening to employ these combos. Using those frequently during a match could be considered spam too? 

If the move/combo is frequently used, regardless of how balanced a player is with their playstyle, is that still considered spam all the same?

Try "Die for Olympus" in GoWA MP. Click sig to see how
Message 3 of 36 (258 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11800 posts

May 2, 2013

^if they are dependent on that combo, it is spam. Check out "nice guys" thread and look back in the pages until u see crimson's poseidon combo vid.....you will see tru combo spam XD it is broken and shows the flaws in this game's mechanics....better yet....ill be right back with the video

Message 4 of 36 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11800 posts

May 2, 2013

^by my definition....this is ABSURD spam.....by other definitions....it is skill. Personally, I see now way that this could be considered skillful....but that's just me. haha and dont get me wrong I like crimson (he made me an epic sig too) but we disagree on this stuff Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 36 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
869 posts

May 2, 2013

I use the jump-divekick alot. Do I spam it? Maybe. But I don't ONLY go for combos. Sometimes a good blockbreaker or quick L1+[]+followup is enough to do the damage needed to set an enemy on the run but if they give me an opening for a divekick, a 100% combo is sure to follow, especially if I've leeched their Item use out of them already.

I don't really view many people or approaches as "spam". I am of the "exploiter of OP weapons and magic" crowd. Everytime a good jump slicer gets me, I feel like I failed that battle by making a mistake that I could've, well, not made. This is just my personal opinion, of course. I have heard from some very good players that jump-slicing is an exploit and they too consider it spam. I guess I haven't faced enough of them to warrant the same level of irritation they have. Most jumpslicers learn to stop approaching me with that move after the first couple parries or jump+[]'s that I issue. I haven't faced too many fakers, but the near-zero recovery time on that move makes it extremely tough to deal with.

I do consider each and every user of Reckoning a spammer/OP magic user. Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 36 (232 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1497 posts

May 2, 2013
I'd say I have 2 maybe 3 combos I use for Ares. Watch my videos. There's not much room for variation in this game if you stick with the same weapon.

I parry, [] [], jump [] [], R1.

It either that or a longer variation. Most would consider that spam under your reasoning P4E, as well as others.

Check out my channel for GoW matches, highlights and other videos.
Message 7 of 36 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11800 posts

May 2, 2013

^Im not even gonna start my arguments abt OP weapons/relics (determination any1?)/ and magics

Message 8 of 36 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11800 posts

May 2, 2013

@dabeast....no that would prob be fine. watch the video....u will see what i define spam to be....

Message 9 of 36 (224 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
396 posts

May 2, 2013
Jump, Jump, Jump, Jump, Jump <-- Spam. But yeah that video you just posted is pretty much spam incarnate, no wonder, it is from Crimson_SWE... Poseidon Combo Video... you could have used pretty much any god in that video, all you do is your same JumpCut spam, just with a Poseidon twist. You cant really start a combo without it can you, or use any other weapon than Sword?

That video pretty much proves why bouncing is such an issue in this game, no one should be able to get hit in the air like 5 times and not hit the ground.
Message 10 of 36 (219 Views)
0 Likes