Jan 08 2013
By: KING_PARKER_TSK Lombax Warrior 109 posts

The Way of Ares

13 replies 227 views Edited Jan 8, 2013

Ok i understand the ways of the pro and the noob. Now on to ares. What is his best build, how to effectively use his war hammer magic and relics. For those of you who may not know I hate zeus and any type of op character or any thing magic based. I love combat and scrap and ares seems to be more or less physical and only combat able. Any tips on how to maximize my combat effectiveness to help fit my brawler style and ares in general for me and future ares players to come.

Kings are Made in WAR- Leader of Team Street Killas
http://www.youtube.com/user/kingParkerTSK
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 14 (227 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Re: The Way of Ares

Jan 8, 2013

Its just your playstyle buddy but i personally use ares with a sword and balanced it works for me so try somethin that works for you btw i just cant pull off all this zeus overpowered stuffs XD

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 14 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
109 posts

Jan 8, 2013

Lmao glad i am not the only one buddy. Zeus just frustrates me. Yea your right i use ares with a sword also but thats because i suck with his hammer and hammers in general. I have had some success but only on noobs.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 14 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9466 posts

Jan 8, 2013
I use the hammer of Ares because it's easier for me to combo with. I"ve been using hammers so long when I try to use a sword I'm kind of unsure what to do... but with a hammer I know all its ins and outs.

As for Ares, and every other class...DON'T STACK STATS. Can't stress this enough. Meaning don't use full Ares high damage armor, and don't use warrior full defense armor.

It's a long story, but eventually the stat just drops off and doesn't really help that much. Of course it could have been changed in the recent update but since I haven't played 1.09 yet it still stands for me.

Balance it out... try to get high offense and defense at the same time, without sacrificing too much of the other one. Around 300-400 is alright, but really even 400 damage is pushing it in terms of uselessness. I'd probably go for 350? Try for a bit higher defense and maybe try out some e. resist.

I don't have any e. resist but it might be useful really.

As or the rest...magic, items and relics it's really what makes you play better... If you want to get damage off of kills go for it... up to you.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 14 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
109 posts

Jan 8, 2013

Thx thats what i really wanted to know? I think I seen u post this before but i have a question. Whats the point of being ares if i cant go all in with damage? How do Stats work??????? Whats the point of alighnments if you are just gonna be balenced?

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 14 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9466 posts

Jan 8, 2013
Well you can go all out in damage, it's not like it's a 100% drop off. After a while, having high damage just doesn't cut it. Try out damage from around 100-150, you'll notice you're hitting less, then try out a good 300-380 build (can't remember exact stat for high 300 build) and you'll notice you'll be hitting a bit harder. Now, if you sacrifice all of your defense for that extra damage and go into a match you'll notice yourself getting hit harder but the damage you put into the stat really doesn't help.

The same can be said about defense. I put on a bunch of defense armor, with a glad hat and a barb hammer. I went into a match just to test it out and it didn't help me survive like at all. My normal defense is around 205 and my defense was at 430 at the time, and I was hardly taking any more damage than I would have with 205 armor if at all.

You CAN be a glass cannon (high damage, virtually no defense) but realistically in a game like this it's completely nonsensical. You NEED defense in order to survive because the raw damage alone won't be enough to save you from anything. Especially if everyone else is better than you. Say you run into an ares wit good defense and good offense, like the 405/205 build. They'll be able to take more damage than you while putting out almost the same exact damage. Or if you run into a Zeus, he'll have decent melee damage and then spells that'll shred you to pieces.

How stats work is unknown. It could work in either 2 ways.

1. Stats drop off. After a while, the higher your strength is the lower the actual damage it gives you. For example, in an MMO I played 25 SPR gave you 5% crit. After that, it lowered the amount of crit it gave you because you could built a character with HUGE amounts of crit and have crit gear to be nearly unbeatable. Before 25, each point gave .2 after 25, I believe each point gave you .01 crit. Maybe even less.

This COULD be happening with this game, but hopefully isn't very likely. Say around 200 to 300 you're getting so much extra damage and to prevent characters from feeling too OP, they drop the stat gain after that so that while you're gaining more and more stats you're not just gaining all of that in raw power and destroying everyone.

2. More likely, but stats require huge amounts in order for them to show any sort of advantage. Say an Ares attack does 10 damage. You'd need to have 50 p attack to deal 1 extra damage. So, you have 400 attack that adds another 8 attack, so the damage is up to 18 which is pretty high. But, you're now getting rid of a huge amount of defense which is probably stacked the same way. For HIGHER defense, you could easily sacrifice 20-30 damage and get a huge amount of defense back. You'll still be hitting 17 to 17.5 damage with that one hit, but you'll be able to take a few more hits or a few more points of damage with that extra armor.

The point of alignments is a "class" system. So far, Ares is a DD and Zeus is a mage. I assume out of the two gods we have yet to try, one is a tank and the other is a mage counter.

What's weird though, is that since Zeus is a spell caster...he isn't your typical spell caster. Yeah he has godly magic, but he also has some pretty high standard defense (85 if I recall correctly) and hit items/relics are just plain old better...his relics provide Zeus's bread and butter while his items work MUCH better than Ares because it does what t's supposed to... it gets you OUT of conflict. Every other item in this game puts you back into the conflict but with a higher stat which doesn't really make much sense because the whole reason you want to use the item is to get out of conflict..

Just because balance works better than going pure one stat doesn't mean the alignments are useless. They're still special even though Zeus seems to have the upper hand in almost every area.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 14 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Jan 8, 2013

Damage and Resistance have set base values that are adjusted by a percentage with no drop off. 

Example: Lets say the base damage of your physical attack is 20 damage. And say 100 physical damage increase that by 10%. 200 will increase by 20% and so on. So with 400 physical your attacks will do 28 damage. These numbers are just made up, but this is how gear stats are affecting your character. There is no drop off. You can stack stats or you can balance stats, but there is no diminishing returns on stats. 

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 14 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9466 posts

Jan 8, 2013

I_Ceases_I wrote:

Damage and Resistance have set base values that are adjusted by a percentage with no drop off. 

Example: Lets say the base damage of your physical attack is 20 damage. And say 100 physical damage increase that by 10%. 200 will increase by 20% and so on. So with 400 physical your attacks will do 28 damage. These numbers are just made up, but this is how gear stats are affecting your character. There is no drop off. You can stack stats or you can balance stats, but there is no diminishing returns on stats. 

Which plays into my second theory, but do you have any form of confirmation that this is how the stats are done?  

Also, there has to be some form of drop off because the higher your offense the less you actually feel it.  You can feel low offense when you first start out the game easily, then as you progress you do more damage but when I equip a full gladiator set and a full Ares set the damage is negligible.  

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 14 (161 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
109 posts

Jan 8, 2013

Hmm thanks a lot. I dont think i like this stat setup very much

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 14 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
157 posts

Jan 8, 2013

I_Ceases_I wrote:

there has to be some sort of a drop off. When I run a full Ares setup, and my hammer combo does nearly the same as when I switch armor up, then that means a dropoff is present.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 14 (154 Views)
0 Likes