Highlighted
Jan 10 2013
By: Flint_Prophet Wastelander 674 posts

Team Balance/Levels

5 replies 121 views Edited Jan 10, 2013

I hope this is only a problem now because it's in beta...

I know I'm new to the beta, but it doesn't make any sense for a team of high-level people (which I have to assume based on the powers and moves they have that I don't recognize...you guys NEED to put levels next to names) to be pitted against a team of low-level people. And that is happening quite a lot, to me.

There are times when there are three of my teammates (including me) pummelling the hayell outta one member of the other team, and he's barely taking damage. Then I get cornered by one team member from the other team, and he juggles the living hayell outta me and kills me in about three seconds.

I'm LOVING this MP, but this needs to be fixed in the final release. "Getting good" or "practicing" isn't the question, here. I've played the entire GOW series (all five titles), and don't consider myself a great player by any stretch, but I can generally hold my own with the GOW moves...yes, now I'm going up against fellow humans and not AI, but after levelling up to fourteen and seeing what I detailed above happen again and again and again to me and my team, I consider it a problem.

And, occasionally I am on the slaughtering team, which just validates the problem, imho.

Message 1 of 6 (121 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Re: Team Balance/Levels

Jan 10, 2013

i have noticed that there is no team balancing at the end of the rounds..i once went 3 whole games in a 2 on 4 matchup and its impossible to win and makes you not want to play..

Message 2 of 6 (117 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
27 posts

Jan 10, 2013
Team balancing will always be an issue when there aren't enough players, which has happened in the beta. Going by most responses, I am not sure if this will be truly resolved when game is released as many folks are not interested in MP for this game. Many who are trying out the beta may never play MP when game comes around.

Alternative to balancing is running into empty lobbies. You will never get a mismatched battle, if you manage to get into a match.

Good solution would be to have a system where even a level1 can hold his own against a Level30, or at least a mode where level advantages are nullified. Assassins Creed did that very well with Manhunt Mode, where in one round you can only defend, not kill. This gave lower level players opportunity to kill higher level players in same match.
Message 3 of 6 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
205 posts

Jan 10, 2013
I think MP will do fine. Reminds me of Mass Effect 3's multiplayer, which ended up outshining the lackluster singleplayer by a long shot.

The question is why exactly games end up with less than 4v4, even when they appear to be full before starting. Hard to tell if someone is quitting or losing connection for some reason.
Message 4 of 6 (93 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
27 posts

Jan 10, 2013
Mass Effect 3 is a wrong example coz:

1. It has always been a team game. You and couple AI teammates working in tandem. All ME3's MP did was replace AI with other players.

2. ME3 MP is co-op only, not competitive. As mentioned in 1, co-op elements were already there in series.

3. Mission structure of co-op in ME3 is no different from story missions. I recall certain DLC in ME1 which was basically ME3 co-op with AI instead of other players.

God Of War has never really had ANY co-op elements to it. The final boss fight in Ghost Of Sparta comes somewhat close to that co-op style of Mass Effect.

A better comparison would've been Assassins Creed, though I enjoyed beta for its MP way more than this one.
Message 5 of 6 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
205 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 10, 2013

Until ME3's separate MP mode, Mass Effect was singleplayer, not co-op — end of story. It was hardly a squad game because you could steamroll through it with good aim and timely power spam, it's not at all on the level of most tactical RPGs.

Yes, Mass Effect 3's multiplayer is co-op only (though you'll find some people play it competitively by screwing their team over to get the highest score), and what's more, it has only one game mode. Three groups of enemies to choose from originally, and it still made them plenty of money.

The point wasn't that they had the same gameplay, but that Mass Effect 3, which had only one game mode was still very popular.

As for ME3's mission structure, it's plenty different from the singleplayer. MP is pure killing with a very simple objective twice each match. It lacked the aspects that made Mass Effect 1 a big hit. No conversations, no branching paths, etc.

Co-op was not the point of my comparison. The point is both were singleplayer series with a large following that finally support multiplayer, yet GoW is going much further than copy / pasting combat sections of singleplayer into multiplayer like Mass Effect 3 essentially did (in terms of design, I know they worked and still work very hard on it.)

So, I think it will do great.

Message 6 of 6 (58 Views)
0 Likes