Last Guardian
11799 posts

Re: Serious discussion about combos in this game.

May 29, 2013

^i agree with sparrow. i fought a lot of endless combos and eventually i learned that they all start the same way. i can easily counter the spear and hammer ones, tho i struggle with the jump slice trinity as sovereign calls it. basically, i cant quite figure out how to fight the fake slice, delay slice, and normal slice.....but i WILL beat them XD

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 21 of 39 (209 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11799 posts

May 29, 2013

Lol and btw injustice has a 91% damage combo just using the environment XD that is hilarious

Message 22 of 39 (209 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
376 posts

May 29, 2013

DJMadCow wrote:

I'm not against combos, but I feel like the 100% ones shouldn't be allowed.

Some may say "that's what your item is for", however if you use up your item and it's on cooldown, there's no way to fight back if you're caught up in such a combo again. The idea of a 100% infinite combo loop just doesn't seem fair.

Some may say "just practice and learn the combo too, then use it", but my feeling is the game would just degenerate into who can get off that first hit to initiate their string. This game is a different from fighting games; it seems built for more short combos than long strings.

Posted this in another thread, but thought I'd add it here too. Just my opinion; everyone has their own.

I don't think people who dislike these dangerous combos have really thought about what they bring to the game. When you KNOW the other guy has the ability to kill you in one combo your whole defensive and offensive mindset changes.
Getting the first hit is part of the mind game that takes place between two good players. Only scrubs randomly throw out attacks without thinking of the consequences of their actions. Using safe pokes and varying your strings are necessary to keep your opponent off balance and create an opening for you to land the killing blow. At a higher level these exchanges can takes quite a bit of time allowing for the escape item to recharge, so more often than not when I'm fighting VS a guy who really knows the game I get the kill via poke damage rather than a long combo. 
Combos are a critcal element in any fighting game that promote strategy and favor those with experience and execution. Removing them would just turn this game into a button masher where a 6 year old could kick your a$$!
Watch this match and tell me what you see.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5eo7XYmlvM

Are you not entertained!

Message 23 of 39 (204 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1499 posts

May 29, 2013

Poseidon4ever wrote:

^i agree with sparrow. i fought a lot of endless combos and eventually i learned that they all start the same way. i can easily counter the spear and hammer ones, tho i struggle with the jump slice trinity as sovereign calls it. basically, i cant quite figure out how to fight the fake slice, delay slice, and normal slice.....but i WILL beat them XD

Well let's see there's the Delay one, where you simply jump and wait before JSing by baiting parry, there's Fake which is JSing another direction to once again bait, the normal one and then the one I do which I cancel the JS midway by blocking that way they saw the JS coming but didn't expect the cancel thus leading to baiting once again, THAT was the Trinity, Delay, Fake and Cancel. Because of that, you can't really counter the JS (haven't fought Delays and Cancels yet)

Signature Quote:
I love Leia, especially the way she extends my staff
Message 24 of 39 (196 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1844 posts

May 29, 2013

Sparrow-Hawk wrote:

Well just take a look at those combos from certain warriors carefully

if you got combo'ed to death, just look at which move started that lead up to combo.

Avoid the same move = rejected combo = safe

They tend to have many opening which are obviously focusing on only one certain combo all they can do

which it means your opponents just developed only one combo to perform endlessly so you have to be aware. 

Because they are so desperately rely on only one combo

See? It's not hard. Trust me, you will find many opponents only have their own one combos, not very well developed combos.

If they are good at mixing combos and have another different combos, well I can't answer that... But obviously it's poke and dodge tactics may be helpful for sure.

Fixed... 

ARTGGAHEAHGHH

Message 25 of 39 (192 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
289 posts

[ Edited ]
May 30, 2013

I still feel this debate over 100% combos or not is a strange one really. In a game with no set universal stats, I don't know how one decides exactly what a 100% combo is, maybe someone could enlighten me.

For instance, a person with say 4 minutes of Relic of Determination and maximum physical damage fighting somebody wearing full -health stat gear and no damage protection, will kill his foe in an average, bog standard attack sequence. Conversely performing one of these combos against a massively protected player with activated buffs etc. surely wouldn't result in death.

When you have spells that situationally can one shot people and godly weapons, what exactly is the element that separates these supposed combos? It all seems like a rather strange, extremely specific example to pick to ponder over whether or not they are too powerful. 

If I am completely missing something here please tell me because I get the feeling I am.

Message 26 of 39 (192 Views)
Last Guardian
11799 posts

[ Edited ]
May 29, 2013

lol i actually agree with raw......when i fight sword users now.....i actually block and parry instead of trying to just counter attack.....saves my life haha

and, he is right.....another good player wont let you start these combos.....some of my 1v1s DO involve me kicking people into the dirt....but most players interrupt these right away

Message 27 of 39 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1499 posts

May 29, 2013

Poseidon4ever wrote:

lol i actually agree with raw......when i fight sword users now.....i actually block and parry instead of trying to just counter attack.....saves my life haha

and, he is right.....another good player wont let you start these combos.....some of my 1v1s DO involve me kicking people into the dirt....but most players interrupt these right away

I try to parry at the last moment........dat Trinity man

Signature Quote:
I love Leia, especially the way she extends my staff
Message 28 of 39 (180 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1355 posts

[ Edited ]
May 29, 2013

DELETED:

oops wrong thread post

Try "Die for Olympus" in GoWA MP. Click sig to see how
Message 29 of 39 (170 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1355 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 14, 2013

Thought I would add to this existing thread rather than start a new one. With the release of the Hammers of Atlas and Hephaestus, in addition to tips the article also gave example combos (beginner, intermediate, advanced). Here are the ones Tank posted in the article:

Atlas Hammer Combos:

Basic
1. Jump triangle, L1 + square, jump square, square, R1.
2. Hold square (charge hammer), jump Circle, square, L1+square, R1

Intermediate
1. Jump triangle, hold triangle (launch only), L1 + square, jump square, square, R1.

Advanced
1. Hold square (charge hammer), jump circle, hold triangle (jump up with enemy), L1+square, square, jump square, square, R1.

Hephaestus Hammer Combos:

Basic
1. Hold triangle (jump up with enemy), square, L1 + triangle, L1 + square.
2. Hold square (charge hammer), hold triangle, square, L1 + triangle, square, L1+square.

Intermediate
1. Jump triangle, L1 + triangle, square, hold triangle (jump up with enemy), square, L1 + square.
2. Hold square (charge hammer), jump triangle, L1 + triangle, square, hold triangle (jump up with enemy), square, square, R1.

Advanced
1. Hold square (charge hammer), jump Circle, square, hold triangle (jump up with enemy), square, L1 + triangle, square, square, L1 + square.
2. Hold square (charge hammer), jump Circle, square, square, hold triangle (jump up with enemy), square, L1 + triangle, hold square, square, square, R1 or L1+square.

I haven't tested out the combos myself but some ppl on other threads have mentioned a few of these are kill combos.

If that's the case and they are kill/100% combo, does that mean SSM are "advocating/justifying" such combos in the game in general?

Just bringing this point up; I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, merely just making an observation. Just curious what other ppl thought about it and what it might say about the Devs perspective on the game.

Gypsy, Tank feel free to comment if you'd like to share what their stance is too.

Try "Die for Olympus" in GoWA MP. Click sig to see how
Message 30 of 39 (133 Views)
0 Likes