May 28 2013
By: DaBeast151 Uncharted Territory 1496 posts

Serious discussion about combos in this game.

[ Edited ]
38 replies 2788 views Edited May 28, 2013

I've seen this issue brought up in various threads and wanted people's opinions in one place.

It's been interesting to see the progression of combos in this game. I never would have thought when first playing the game we would get to the point were various weapons are able to do not only lengthy combos, but 100% damage as well. Obviously players are divided on whether this is good for the game or not.

GoW has been know as a hack and slash since GoW 1. The introduction of simple combos seemed legitimately fine. Here is a generic one for you:

Triangle launch, square, square, R1

Something so simple would hardly derive complaints from players.

Then we have combos like the Minatour Hammer combo which in most cases leads to death. There have been a wide variety of combos found ever since with lots of weapons.

The question is whether lengthy combos are acceptable in this type of game. Like so many I enjoy the chip away damage and mind game aspect of this game. Blocking, evading, anticipating and reacting accordingly. Outsmarting players and making them fall into your game plan. Oh yes. If you don't think mind games and game plans exist in this game you haven't been playing hard enough competition.

I'm also an advocate of combos as well. Some are easy to pull off, some are hard. Some do decent damage, some do a substantial amount. But do lengthy combos turn the game play sour?

I've held off from making a combo video for Hammers. For what reason I'm not sure. I like doing combos and I like experimenting and coming up with new stuff. Just last night I came up with 2 new combos for hammers with Zeus and Hades I haven't seen done before. But seeing many people complain might be part of the reason I still hesitate.

Is the game evolving into this? Should people just accept it? Should damage scaling be introduced so not all these combos lead to death?

Thoughts?

Check out my channel for GoW matches, highlights and other videos.
Message 1 of 39 (2,788 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1499 posts

Re: Serious discussion about combos in this game.

May 28, 2013

I think combos are good, I do not like 100% combos but every now and then you're forced to do it. Thing is most death combos REQUIRE both specials to be 100%. I find it funny that people complain about combos yet when they play fighters, the point is to DO combos. Take Injustice for example, would you do a 45% Meterless combo that might leave the opponent alive enough to turn the tides (by Wager, some of the OP supers, his own combo etc) or do a 70% MB combo that would probably kill the opponent before it even finishing? I'll take the latter. Combos also only work 1v1, on another note for example, most hammer combos require a parry to even start, would you really not want me to take advantage of my parry? I SUCK parrying, (on other note, I always have to parry first S, I can NEVER parry the 2nd S LOL). In this case, being able to do that combo is my REWARD for parrying you.  Look at the recent nerfs, they nerfed Air Dash relics because of their combo potential yet at the same time, they allowed you to escape some combos, where's the logic in that?

Signature Quote:
I love Leia, especially the way she extends my staff
Message 2 of 39 (2,536 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
289 posts

[ Edited ]
May 28, 2013

Is a tricky one this. I like to have the potential of complicated combos as it tends to suggest that the system is complex and there is a lot of variability available for those who like to tinker. At the same time, I don't tend to utilise combos like those mentioned mostly because I am not confident in performing them consistently and as such play that mind game hit/counter hit combat you described.

I think there is room for both and that is because the game is a multi, multi-player one and there are no 1v1 modes, only occasional 1v1 situations. On top of that there are items, magic, traps, godly weapons and map events that impact and interrupt contests. I have rarely if ever been in a situation where somebody has had the freedom or the time to execute one of these combos on me and if they have I didn't notice because there are so many combinations of things I face, I couldn't differentiate.

Is a 100% combo a 100% with that weapon and nothing required or is it only 100% with the right item, relic, allegiance and armour equipped? I say let people who are capable of doing these things consistently and at the right time reap their rewards, as I have/am having fun as it is and don't see these niche behaviours impacting me. I look forward to trying some of them myself! 

Message 3 of 39 (2,529 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
134 posts

May 28, 2013
I like the combo system, has basics and more complex combos. To be honest the 100% you can't always pull off in 4v4 Modes, some times you can't even pull of the more basics. You start a combo and then get attack by one or two of their team mates. But if you catch them on their own then you can unleash the pain.

I try not too complain, but I would rather be killed by a 100% combo from someone who has taken the time to learn different things, rather than die from someone just running around spamming magic attacks and doing very little else, i.e. those wave from Zeus sword or that hand lightning.
Message 4 of 39 (2,215 Views)
Last Guardian
11767 posts

May 28, 2013

I actually dont mind 100% combos. It forces me not to spam my item for magic regen (which i will do unless you prove to me that you can actually kill me). And as an above poster said, I prefer death by combo to death by the ever famous zeus reckoning stunlock+ cheese waves from zeus' sword.

These combos are fine :smileytongue: just my opinion since they only work if you have an open space with no interference.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 5 of 39 (2,074 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1496 posts

May 28, 2013
@AccipiterNisus

It depends. A lot of stuff I test out bin training mode with no armour on to get a good feel of how damaging it is. I think you always need to have stats and allegiances into account. Most lengthy combos with Ares will usually lead to near death. Also a major reason why most lengthy combos are so damaging is a majority of people don't have Poseidon level defence.

Message 6 of 39 (1,626 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
289 posts

May 28, 2013

Probably the best way to test it DaBeast. When all things are considered, you can get Ares characters with Relic of Determination who have survived a few minutes (especially in these unfilled FotG matches), killing you in a few slices of their sword anyway without  need of a tricky combo. 

Combos are satisfying and great for highlight, show pony videos so I say the more the merrier. We have combo breakers with our items anyway so I think the mechanics in place are fine.

Message 7 of 39 (758 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1843 posts

May 28, 2013

Honestly,

I assume I was "forced" to do certain combos because of the sword's bounce combos which all sword users always do this

(Worse, its population is too way large to count plus World Worlds and gang festivals made them too way dangerous)

Thanks to this,

I simply accept anything fine as long as its brutalness.

I'm aware of how GOW 1, 2, 3, etc players always spam combos without being creative to discover new combos therefore there'll be rants in

GOWA online due to "unfairness".

Yup, hypocrites, hate messages and "scrubs" with their own honorable rules of fairs...

Message 8 of 39 (462 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
312 posts

May 28, 2013

You want to wear 40 PR, 10 PP, carry a weapon meant for healing your teammates and still be able to own everyone 1v1.  I think that's retarded.  When it was possible, it was OP.  If you want to be a killer, then pick a killer build and not your ezmode, I can do everything template.

Spears are still bad **bleep**.  I've been testing them since ya'll started the whining.

Another thing... no one in this game wears any elemental resist but they come to these forums daily and trash Zeus players.   The reason you're biching is because you're unwilling to change your gear so that you can handle Zeus, not because Zeus is unstoppable.  That being said, Reckoning should have penalties for repeated use and any weapon based elemental damage done during a Reckoning should cause i-frames.

Message 9 of 39 (445 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1496 posts

May 29, 2013
Agree with you on the Zeus statement. I've said time and time again, hardly anyone goes into battle with decent ER but everyone is ready to scream at how OP Zeus magic is.

Message 10 of 39 (395 Views)
0 Likes