Jun 15 2013
By: Pyro-GL First Son 3 posts

My take on the State of the Game (with Solutions)

19 replies 408 views Edited Jun 15, 2013

Hello all.  I normally try to let the professionals figure out what needs fixing in the game that they designed, but tonight was a particularly painful session for me; so I figured I could share some of my thoughts about what could change the multiplayer for the better. (In no particular order)

Problem 1: Experience and time investment.  Flat out, I think the experience needed to level up 30-40 is simply too high.   Some math for us-- Say on average, you can get 1500 experience per game (2000 if you are "skilled" 1000, if you are less so).  At this rate, with the experience needed to hit lvl 40 being 465,000, equates to 310 games, and at 10 minutes each, you are left with 51 HOURS of straight gameplay to max out 1 god if you are completely consistent and moderately skilled.  I know that the audience for this game can mostly be classified as "hardcore" gamers, but combining this with the new ascension feature, it becomes almost laughable at the potential time that seems to be needed to invest to play competitively. 

Solution:  More double exp weekends, or increased experience codes as gifts from the White Chests (low random chance).   These could be simply a 1 hour or 5 game code that we could activate when we planned on playing for a decent session.  You could only have a maximum of 1 or 2 of them, and they would have a 24 hour cooldown till you could use another.

Problem 2: Lack of transparency.  There are a bunch of game mechanics that are kind of mysterious to me (and I am sure many others as well).  Thinks such has how much damage you are doing, what certain abilities actually do (im looking at the 3-4 "curses" that Hades has, which have zero description for what they do), how effective the stats are compared to each other (Is one point in Physical Power equivalent to 1 point in Elemental Power?)  Also, each patch notes always seems incomplete and vague.

Solution: Damage numbers, better ability descriptions, highly detailed and specific patch notes.

Problem 3: Ascension.  I was actually quite excited when I first heard about Ascension comming to the multiplayer.  What made me depressed was that to get all your equipment back, you needed to go through the lvling process 6 times... This seems quite excessive; and I don't need to repeat the sentiment of many posts that already exist expressing this.  Most people, like completeness, so they will want to play the 6 Ascensions simply because they want to get back to their lvl 40 "complete" state.  I, however, don't really use or feel the need to do this because I tend to use only a few weapons.  My problem ends up becomming that I worry/fear for the future.  I have played a multitude of games, where the developers did "rebalance" patches and changes, almost non-sensically.  This results in the problem becomming : what is powerful or effective now, may not be in the future; and what is weak now may not be, later.  For this reason alone, I would want to have access to all my options for each God. 

Solution:  Increase number of Ascension tokens for each Ascension to 6.  I think 4 Ascensions is plenty. 

Problem 4:  "I-Frame" Rules.  For the life of me, I can't seem to understand what the requirements are to gain invincibility when getting up after the enemy finishes their combo.  Half the time I am invicible, the other, I am not, and I get bounced again with another combo.

Solution: Some clarity on this would be nice.

Problem 5:  DLC Costs.  At $3 per weapon, I am finding it a very hard pill to swallow.  I purchased the Legacy Bundle for GOWA (thats the one with the red 500GB PS3, and all other previous GOW games), and figure that I would be getting the same benefits as the Collectors edition (Season Pass).  Obvously this is not the case, even though I spent far more on the game than even the collector's edition buyers (Please don't tell me that I got a PS3 out of the deal, they do not cost that much to produce any more).  With each new weapon coming out, I don't think I should have to fork over even more money. 

Solution:  More reasonable prices ($1 or $1.50 per I can handle), sell weapon bundles, give legacy owners Season passes.

Problem 6: Hammer of Hephastus:  The charged attack is simply too effective, especially considering it counters parry. 

Solution:  Remove the mine from the charge attack.  The rest of the weapon is fine as it is, and will still be very powerful.

Problem 7:  Rebalance of Magic damage.  The "cost" associated with combatting magic damage is wearing magic resist gear that provides no other benefits (Hades' Phobos Armor does provide health, and CDR, but nothing offensive). 

Solution:  Reevaluate how effective magic damage is, or add Elemental Resist to More armor pieces. 

Message 1 of 20 (408 Views)
Highlighted
First Son
18 posts

Re: My take on the State of the Game (with Solutions)

Jun 15, 2013

I agree with most of what you mentioned here. The hammer of Hephaestus' charge attack is just overpowered, the weapon is powerful already with it's special attacks.

And for the love of god, please reduce the EXP required for level from 30 to 40 or think of something to speed things up. Because this is simply ridiculous, I like the multiplayer for this game but I certainly don't have the patience to level up to 40 multiple times. I'll probably just level to 40 once for each gods.

The XP required from 1 to 30 is just fine the way it is though.

Message 2 of 20 (390 Views)
Lombax Warrior
94 posts

Jun 15, 2013
You bring up some great points and I really do hope they reduce the XP requirment, or at least give us XP weekends.
Message 3 of 20 (365 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
89 posts

Jun 15, 2013
When are you guys gonna shut up with the hephaestus hammer thing? I do love it but it's so easy to counter.. I think that the mine should be taken ONLY after a parry, in every other case it should still exist. Also please don't ruin this awesome hammer, I payed fpr it.

I do agree with all of the rest tho. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 20 (347 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
396 posts

Jun 15, 2013
Problem 4: Remove the godforsaken invincibility completely, it ruins the whole game.
Message 5 of 20 (315 Views)
Monster Hunter
45 posts

Jun 15, 2013

yea get rid of the god glith. ran into a dude last night with no armour level 1 ares , not even ascended and he got the flag and was staanding there taunting everyone with it. like he knew he was gonna be invincible??? also still seeing the mix allegiances glitch.

Message 6 of 20 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3054 posts

Jun 17, 2013

revoveryking1982 wrote:

yea get rid of the god glith. ran into a dude last night with no armour level 1 ares , not even ascended and he got the flag and was staanding there taunting everyone with it. like he knew he was gonna be invincible??? also still seeing the mix allegiances glitch.

The God glitch was removed in the last Patch. Player should no longer be able to do this.

Message 7 of 20 (251 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
271 posts

Jun 17, 2013

gypsy816 wrote:

revoveryking1982 wrote:

The God glitch was removed in the last Patch. Player should no longer be able to do this.

Ran into 2 people using it last night, another patch fail for SSM, come on get it right sometime soon, also bought a xp boost for the weekend. What a waste of money, with all the BS rage quitters it hardly got used, cant you do something about them weve only been asking for four months now with no kind ofbanswer or update.

Message 8 of 20 (236 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
45 posts

Jun 17, 2013

The XP requirements for 30-40 do seem a tad excessive...Especially if SSM expects people to grind up to 40 multiple times through Ascension. Sadly, I'm sure they'd be much happier encouraging players to just buy XP boosters from the PSN store rather than lowering the XP requirements. I'm hopeful they'll throw some more double/triple XP weekends our way in the near future but even that is a small hope.

The real bitter pill to swallow is that at the end of the day, SSM is a buisness and buisnessses have to make money. They want to keep us locked into the grind (as hard as it is to believe, some players actually *enjoy* grinding in games) so that we're more likely to spend $$$ on new weapons/armor to keep things fresh and XP boosters to speed the grind along. I don't mean to come down on SSM too hard as I honestly feel they're a fantastic studio and GoW: Ascension is a really good game but the reality is they're gonna keep doing whatever they can to get more of our money.

Message 9 of 20 (226 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
540 posts

Jun 17, 2013
bro idk why but the dlc costs more in the states
I live in the middle east and here each weapon costs $1.50 or $2(not sure exact but its this range) and there are many weapon bundles (each bundle being 3.50).
Oh and magic is fine as it is.
Other than that I agree with this post Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 20 (225 Views)
0 Likes