Sackboy
396 posts

Re: Hit detection is abysmal.

Apr 11, 2013
Guess everyone missed the "almost zero lag" part which i wrote. There was no teleporting and ungodly delays between commands so i assume it was not lag, if it is, it plagues every game. But i do not think it is, not 100% atleast.
Message 11 of 26 (171 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4319 posts

Apr 14, 2013

Alghazanth wrote:
Guess everyone missed the "almost zero lag" part which i wrote. There was no teleporting and ungodly delays between commands so i assume it was not lag, if it is, it plagues every game. But i do not think it is, not 100% atleast.

No, I saw, but I'm saying there was likely lag and you didn't notice it.  When things start inexplicably going through players, attacks don't land or "miss" despite you seeing them hit, unable to grapple when the white halo is clearly present or being unable to grapple into a brutal kill (or the red halo almost instantly disappearing) this is lag.  

And as I said, go into training and try your moves out.  I haven't had an issue with hit detection or grappling there.  It's only online and you may not always see the lag but you will feel it.  

----------------------
She's going to have to fall on her sword. Which means that we have to stick one in the ground, trip her onto it and get someone to jump up and down on her back for ten minutes. --

Malcolm Tucker. Modern day saint.
Message 12 of 26 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
533 posts

Apr 15, 2013

Message 13 of 26 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
396 posts

Apr 15, 2013
The trainer is a bad test dummy, he does not follow the "rules" players do most of the time. Trying to get a close miss with a sword on him probably won't work but i'll give it a shot. Lag+unresponsive controls=kill this game.

When things work when they want to and not when they should and you try to get them to, you know things are bad. And lag has gotten worse at my end since the supposed "fix".
Message 14 of 26 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4319 posts

Apr 16, 2013

Alghazanth wrote:
The trainer is a bad test dummy, he does not follow the "rules" players do most of the time. Trying to get a close miss with a sword on him probably won't work but i'll give it a shot. Lag+unresponsive controls=kill this game.

When things work when they want to and not when they should and you try to get them to, you know things are bad. And lag has gotten worse at my end since the supposed "fix".

Yeah he's a terrible test for any real combat, but I find it to be perfect for testing out weapons, hit detection, that sort of thing (since he's so predictable).  I'm sure you can make it work.

----------------------
She's going to have to fall on her sword. Which means that we have to stick one in the ground, trip her onto it and get someone to jump up and down on her back for ten minutes. --

Message 15 of 26 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
396 posts

Apr 16, 2013
Did some testing and there were a couple of times when the trainer would kick through my parry, but not actually hit me or my parry. The Ares Sword L1+Triangle Square-switch move horizontal wave attack would sometimes go through without damaging or hitting if the enemy was too close to me.

I have noticed similar thing many times in games were wave attacks do not hit and go straight through, and sometimes i get hit by the very edge of a wave attack (Zeus blade L1+Square spin wave) and fly off the map like i was struck with a hammer.

So there really are in my mind some issues with hit detection even without lag.

Oh an speaking of lag.... there apparently is none!
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/God-of-War-Ascension-Multiplayer/NO-Lag-in-Ascension-Didn-t-y...
Message 16 of 26 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
396 posts

Jun 14, 2013
This issue keeps persisting, 2 months after my original thread, making the game virtually unplayable. If the culprit is lag and ONLY lag, then something must be done to it instead of ADDING 49682 new DLC weapons! What good are the weapons if they do not hit anything.

Another evil are the invincibility frames in dodge particularly, they need to be removed, like hit detection wasn't bad enough, people still keep exploiting them, dodging inside magic and taking no damage.
Message 17 of 26 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4319 posts

Jun 14, 2013

I've changed my tune on the hit detection issue.  I've started seeing some very strange issues here and there even with the trainer.  I know a lot of it in multiplayer is due to lag though.

Either way, it just puts me off playing.  Initially I was content to play other games and wait for Ascension to get sorted out.  Now, with everyone and their grandmother ascending, it seems like I'm in for a world of pain.  I've played a few ascended with mixed results, but lag was an issue in each of those encounters.  

----------------------

Message 18 of 26 (80 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
289 posts

Jun 15, 2013

Vanthem my friend I am in a similar boat. Had a just frightening session today and the cumulative frustrations came to a head.

Matches against spot the difference Ascended players requiring me to beat them twice over to get a kill while at the same time not giving me any room for error, combined with childish zerging and dishonourable play in the all too frequent games against outnumbering opponents has finally worn me down.

The odd game I get against regular foes is still as fun as it was before but they are so few and far between it isn't worth the stress filled chore of wading through Godly Poseidons  and other such living walls.

Message 19 of 26 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4319 posts

Jun 15, 2013

AccipiterNisus wrote:

Vanthem my friend I am in a similar boat. Had a just frightening session today and the cumulative frustrations came to a head.

Matches against spot the difference Ascended players requiring me to beat them twice over to get a kill while at the same time not giving me any room for error, combined with childish zerging and dishonourable play in the all too frequent games against outnumbering opponents has finally worn me down.

The odd game I get against regular foes is still as fun as it was before but they are so few and far between it isn't worth the stress filled chore of wading through Godly Poseidons  and other such living walls.

The middle paragraph in particular sounds like I typed it out myself based on the last time I played.  I know how you feel, unfortunately.  Even in 2v2 with a random partner I ended up having to almost constantly fight off both enemy players (sometimes ascended, sometimes normal) while my teammate went 1 for 10.  I could only save him so often.

I finished strong,  anywhere from a modest 2.0 KDR to a 5.0 KDR,  but you're simply not going to win when you have no time to do anything but fight for your life and try to save the dead weight of your teammate. Heh.

I love that Poseidon got some boosts in this ascension update (he's always been my favorite), but I also hate that soon all I'm going to see are a bunch of mega-Poseidons running around.  I preferred it when Poseidon was sort of a niche allegiance and everyone stuck to spamming Zeus and Ares, but I digress.

The point is that the game can be challenging enough against decent opponents.  That's great, that's how it should be.  Losing simply to lag and hit detection issues is a game-breaker.  

----------------------

Message 20 of 26 (71 Views)
0 Likes