Highlighted
Jan 09 2013
By: DoucheVader Uncharted Territory 1693 posts

First Impressions

13 replies 170 views Edited Jan 9, 2013
The tutorial is near useless (there are only 2 combos?) and sparring 1 vs 1 almost never happens in this game so that is near useless too. Not having the ability to adjust your load out means that if you chose the wrong stuff (all heavy on Elemental Damage when everyone else is Elemental Resistant) -- OH well, the game turns into God of War: Spawn Die. Furthermore if I create a loadout that is all elemental damage it should also be elemental resistant as to be more simple to identify and counteract accordingly. It should be physical weak all around though. If this is a beta why are you guys so stingy with the coins? Smiley Tongue Let me open stuff up so I can find things to complain about LOL. Smiley Happy It seems to me the loadout should affect mobility. When playing GOW single player the monsters and bosses always had good tells for the hard attacks. If there is one it wasn't elaborated quite well in the tutorial. Is the Escape Button and the Item Button one and the same? Do I use them both at the same time? I am having issues wrapping my head around how that works. Seems like if I get surrounded I get 1 shot with that and then I just get man-handled. The getting man-handled part seems like there is no real defense to. I can be juggled around and I have no control over my character if I can't use L2 that part is very much un-fun. A few games I worked it out and beat some butts. I had no idea what I did right though LOL.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
PS Vita, PlayStation 3 240GB SSD · PSP · PlayStation 2 · PlayStation
Message 1 of 14 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10160 posts

Re: First Impressions

Jan 9, 2013
The tutorial is useless and having so many different commands inside the game that aren't touched upon in the tutorial really take away from the game for some people. They don't know how to play and just get frustrated.

The sparring is useless too, because you can do things to the AI that you can't do to humans and visa versa.

Zeus is like a elemental glass cannon only his "glass cannon" is more on e. resist than p. resist....kind of silly but so far that's how he works...

Coins I think are just a hint at there being more levels than just 30.

Heavy attacks have sort of a weird aura around them, parry has a glowing shield, etc. Just have to guess what your opponent is doing for the rest.

Escape does equal item, yes. There's only one actual escape though. The item is your "escape" option, when you use it it grants a stat bonus or some other method of helping you out in battle.

You can handle more than 1 person at once, I've killed 3 guys all trying to attack me at the same time. It's crazy and you have to rely on one or two of them making some mistakes but it's possible. Just have to stay on your toes.
Message 2 of 14 (158 Views)
Lombax Warrior
109 posts

Jan 9, 2013

Yea this game has a long way to go before launch.

Kings are Made in WAR- Leader of Team Street Killas
http://www.youtube.com/user/kingParkerTSK
Message 3 of 14 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
157 posts

Jan 9, 2013

TC, you should parry when you are outnumbered. I do not know why, but when a player is outnumbered, the opponents foam at the mouth, lose all training, and start to mash buttons, usually square. I also believe that if you parry one, then if the other opponent is closer enough, he also gets parried.

Loadout affects mobility ONLY for the weapons. The hammers' moves are considerably slower than the equivalent of the swords' moves.

Message 4 of 14 (129 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jan 9, 2013

The game is very good, i have only one doubt...

If i kick one player **bleep**, but another player kills him, who gets the points? Cause is easy to stay out of a battle and attack the one player who is in dying.

And i have the problem that i don't understand how to dodge o block some attacks, but i think that's my fault!

Hope someone read this and continue doing an excellent game Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 14 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
157 posts

Jan 9, 2013

Oto57 wrote:

The game is very good, I have only one doubt...

If I kick one player **bleep**, but another player kills him, who gets the points? Cause is easy to stay out of a battle and attack the one player who is in dying.

And I have the problem that I don't understand how to dodge o block some attacks, but I think that's my fault!

The person that lands the final blow always get the kill. Someone can literally get the opponent down to their last life, then another person can come and steal the kill, and the kill stealer will ALWAYS get the kill. They do need to aknowledge the person who does more damage as getting the kill in team based modes. Yep, that is the dominant strategy in Favor of the gods, stay back and start w wailing on the person with the lowest health.

You are supposed to block against light attacks. However, you are supposed to dodge when the person turns red, meaning that they are doing a heavy attack. Heavy attacks break guards. Unfortunately, players abuse the dodge and use it for everything from baiting attacks, dodging light attacks, and even for escaping to safety. At high level play, you will exp nothing but dodges every few seconds.

Message 6 of 14 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
77 posts

Jan 9, 2013

RichYungThaBest wrote:

Oto57 wrote:

If I kick one player **bleep**, but another player kills him, who gets the points? Cause is easy to stay out of a battle and attack the one player who is in dying.

And I have the problem that I don't understand how to dodge o block some attacks, but I think that's my fault!

The person that lands the final blow always get the kill. Someone can literally get the opponent down to their last life, then another person can come and steal the kill, and the kill stealer will ALWAYS get the kill. They do need to aknowledge the person who does more damage as getting the kill in team based modes. Yep, that is the dominant strategy in Favor of the gods, stay back and start w wailing on the person with the lowest health.

You are supposed to block against light attacks. However, you are supposed to dodge when the person turns red, meaning that they are doing a heavy attack. Heavy attacks break guards. Unfortunately, players abuse the dodge and use it for everything from baiting attacks, dodging light attacks, and even for escaping to safety. At high level play, you will exp nothing but dodges every few seconds.

You can't "abuse" the dodge,  It is part of movement, the whole point of it is to remove you from a harmful situation. It is not the "only if the opponent is red" move. 

Every time an opponent dodges he leaves himself open to getting hit with a grapple/throw. If you have an opponent who is dodging a lot, use your chain grapple. 

This game is a lot more balanced then people think, there is always a counter and there is always a counter to that counter. It is paper, rock, scissor, but with quick timing on how to connect. 

Message 7 of 14 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
243 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 9, 2013

Goldhawk1 wrote:
The tutorial is useless and having so many different commands inside the game that aren't touched upon in the tutorial really take away from the game for some people. They don't know how to play and just get frustrated.

That's to be blamed on the player's stupidity, I've had many times where someone picks up the spear of Olympus and not know how to throw it or kill the cyclops despite the messages and prompts on screen...

But the tutorial does need to explain items and relics as there's no clear way of understanding what those are/do aside from constantly testing them yourself. 

Message 8 of 14 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
157 posts

Jan 9, 2013

KidCommando wrote:

RichYungThaBest wrote:

Oto57 wrote:

You can't "abuse" the dodge,  It is part of movement, the whole point of it is to remove you from a harmful situation. It is not the "only if the opponent is red" move. 

Every time an opponent dodges he leaves himself open to getting hit with a grapple/throw. If you have an opponent who is dodging a lot, use your chain grapple. 

This game is a lot more balanced then people think, there is always a counter and there is always a counter to that counter. It is paper, rock, scissor, but with quick timing on how to connect. 

I see you are new, so I am going to explain. The dodging/sprinting in this game is unbalanced for the simple fact that there is no limiting factor. Additionally, every dodge has a frame where the player is invincible. Players literally dodge every second and every attack, making blocking and parrying useless. The ONLY defense against them is the grapple, but that is by far unreliable and unresponsive. Plus, the chain is so short, that you cannot grapple unless the person is right in front of you. Like I said, play more, and wait until the dodge becomes abusable. Wait until players dodge your moves AFTER they had hit because of the invincibility frame. Even worse, wait until an enemy with little health escapes by spamming the R1 stick, since the grapple chain is so short. The dodging is not balanced at all for these reasons, and makes heavy attacks fully useless.

This issue has been wildy accepted as needed to be fix. Your oversimplifying of the solution does not apply to mid-level play, let alone high level play.

Message 9 of 14 (94 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10160 posts

Jan 9, 2013

BHK3 wrote:

Goldhawk1 wrote:

That's to be blamed on the player's stupidity, I've had many times where someone picks up the spear of Olympus and not know how to throw it or kill the cyclops despite the messages and prompts on screen...

But the tutorial does need to explain items and relics as there's no clear way of understanding what those are/do aside from constantly testing them yourself. 

Well there's a difference between a poorly setup tutorial and stupidity.

In the tutorial they don't tell you that when you near a trap your controller vibrates, they don't tell you why your screen changes colors, they don't tell you that you don't always have to end a combo in square, they don't tell you that heavy attacks can't be parried, they don't tell you special square can be parried, they don't tell you special triangle can't be parried, they don't tell you about jump triangle, they don't tell you you can attack on ledges, they don't tell you anything about attacking with the flag, they don't tell you you can grapple while someone is sprinting, they don't tell you about chests red or white, they don't tell you about how evade can make you completely invincible to all attacks, they don't tell you about a LOT of stuff... I could go on... 

Message 10 of 14 (78 Views)
0 Likes