Highlighted
Jan 05 2013
By: RichYungThaBest Lombax Warrior 157 posts

Fatigue System: SANTA MONICA DEVS PLEASE READ!!

16 replies 169 views Edited Jan 5, 2013

I have a great idea on how to deal withy the issue of spamming the dodge stick. Currently, with the i-frames and quick recovery rate inbetween dodges, players are able to use dodge in place of blocking, paryying, etc. To make matters worse, they use this to make an easy getaway with just a few life left. To be honest, this requires no skill since the current metagame makes dodging practical in every situation.

However, I have a simple solution. Add a Fatigue system, so that each dodge and even sprinting decreases the meter, ultimately leaving the player incapable of sprinting and dodging once it diminishes. With this meter, you can do no more than 4 dodges before the meter is drained. You will also be able to sprint uninterrupted for 15 seconds before it is drained as well. However, the use of ANY item fully replenishes the meter no matter how drained it is.

This system will open a whole other diminsion of skillful playing, where players can no longer spam the right stick and sprint till they land a hit, they make it to safety, or another teammate comes to help. With the item fully replenishing the meter, then that will add another tactical element for using items, other than what is is now; a player using it once they get launched. Ultimately, players will be forced to manage their fatigue meter in unique ways other than having everything at their disposal anytime they like. Fights will be more engaging, and the rate of easy escapes will decline, since the very same ppl spamming the right stick to run to safety, are ususally the same ones spamming the right stick during battle. With this system, you have to choose between using your dodges and sprinting to fight, or to run away. No longer will the luxury of both provided.

What do you guys think?

Message 1 of 17 (169 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1499 posts

Re: Fatigue System: SANTA MONICA DEVS PLEASE READ!!

Jan 5, 2013

I agree but I'd prefer getting read of i-frames, hit guy with L1+[] dead on with Ares Hammer and he didn't take damage cause of i-frames, i don't dodge a lot, I dodge when needed and parry mostly....

Signature Quote:
I love Leia, especially the way she extends my staff
Message 2 of 17 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
169 posts

Jan 5, 2013
Dodge and sprint isn't the problem. Not one that needs a new mechanic implemented to fix anyway. Removing or reducing the iframes and/or a slight increase in grapple chain length is a far simpler solution.
Message 3 of 17 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1499 posts

Jan 5, 2013

Viddik wrote:
Dodge and sprint isn't the problem. Not one that needs a new mechanic implemented to fix anyway. Removing or reducing the iframes and/or a slight increase in grapple chain length is a far simpler solution.

Did you mind link with me? cause I was thinking reducing i-frames too 5 min ago XD, I don't mind grapple at all. I mean reducing i-frames is easier cause it'd be harder to master because even I have gotten some hang of it at times

Signature Quote:
I love Leia, especially the way she extends my staff
Message 4 of 17 (148 Views)
Lombax Warrior
169 posts

Jan 5, 2013
Lol exactly. If Iframes is removed entirely as it stands we're talking near total shutdowns from Zeus champs with Hammer. It'd be nightmarish. Tighten it up. Reduce the qualifiers for iframes to activate and tactics can be ascertained more reliably.
Message 5 of 17 (145 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
157 posts

Jan 5, 2013

SovereignSky wrote:

I agree but I'd prefer getting read of i-frames, hit guy with L1+[] dead on with Ares Hammer and he didn't take damage cause of i-frames, i don't dodge a lot, I dodge when needed and parry mostly....

the very fact that they spamm dodge infinitely is the root of the problem. Reducing i-frames would not make much sense, since dodge is SUPPOSED to save you. However, it should be limited as to its use. Increasing the range of the grapple will do little against a dodge spammer who is dancing around you. You also forget that they can use dodge and sprinting to literally escape any danger. If they are limited, then that option will no longer be available.

Message 6 of 17 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9840 posts

Jan 5, 2013
At least make dodging vulnerable to magic and specials. When I hit someone with magic or specials and they had just gotten done dodging it really discourages any kind of play...I mean people can dodge out of your combos, dodge out of your magic, dodge away from your attacks... sure it adds a lot competitive wise but fights go on so much longer than they need to. I hate timing out my difficult to hit Ares hammer L1 + square and then they just hop once and it's over.

At least...at the VERY LEAST make it so that you can't avoid Ares magic. I'd say Zeus magic too, but the only magic that is avoidable is the vortex but that's hard to avoid as it is and deals monstrous damage.

But dodging makes Ares magic 100% useless. Even the flame punch doesn't need to be a direct hit to plant the flaming mine on it but you can just evade and the mine deals no damage.

It's hard to think of how much damage we'd all take if they did get rid of I-frames though. Grabs do so much damage, all kinds of stuff deals such high damage then not being able to avoid certain damage... idk. Part of me doesn't want to touch it but the other part of me gts so goddamn frustrated when all of my attacks can be evaded and I'm sitting there wondering what I could possibly do to some of the better players in this game because EVERYTHING is dodgeable.
Message 7 of 17 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
157 posts

Jan 5, 2013

Goldhawk1 wrote:
At least make dodging vulnerable to magic and specials. When I hit someone with magic or specials and they had just gotten done dodging it really discourages any kind of play...I mean people can dodge out of your combos, dodge out of your magic, dodge away from your attacks... sure it adds a lot competitive wise but fights go on so much longer than they need to. I hate timing out my difficult to hit Ares hammer L1 + square and then they just hop once and it's over.

At least...at the VERY LEAST make it so that you can't avoid Ares magic. I'd say Zeus magic too, but the only magic that is avoidable is the vortex but that's hard to avoid as it is and deals monstrous damage.

But dodging makes Ares magic 100% useless. Even the flame punch doesn't need to be a direct hit to plant the flaming mine on it but you can just evade and the mine deals no damage.

It's hard to think of how much damage we'd all take if they did get rid of I-frames though. Grabs do so much damage, all kinds of stuff deals such high damage then not being able to avoid certain damage... idk. Part of me doesn't want to touch it but the other part of me gts so goddamn frustrated when all of my attacks can be evaded and I'm sitting there wondering what I could possibly do to some of the better players in this game because EVERYTHING is dodgeable.

exactly. the issue is that dodging is by far the superior defensive tool, making blocking and parrying mere luxuries used as a challenge to make gameplay difficult. I was in a match, where this person kept spamming dodge, then followed with the BOA combo. Parrying would not work, and blocking was useless with 2 other ppl attacking me. Finally I saw an opportunity to attack. Right when the finally slah came out, Iused my launcher......... ONLY to have the dude dodge after it hits, but the i-frame let him escape. It is near impossible to differentiate between a skilled player and a dodge spamming noob, since they both abuse it.

Still, I do not see the issue with i-frames, it is when ppl ar constantly spamming dodge, when the issue gets execberated. You cannot land a hit on a person that is dodging 3-4 times between attacks. A fatigue system is needed so that there is some risk to dodging. Right now, ppl do not even parry let alone block, because dodging is more practical. Like I said, keep dodging as it is. However, implement a limiting system so that they can only dodge 4 times. This will make technical playing so much more rewarding, and actually give an unintended boost to heavy attacks.

The bar will replenish over time, and anytime you get a magic or health boost from the stations, then you can also regain some meter from the fatigue bar. However, regenerative armour like scorpion armour does not affect it, out of fairness.

Seriously, I am baffled. Do you ppl like this abusable system? Do you honestly regard the constant spamming as skillful? as balanced? The risk to dodging is low, while the reward is through the roof.

Message 8 of 17 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9840 posts

Jan 5, 2013
Blocking works for world weapons...at least the spear anyway. Parry I just hate. In recent history, no one even makes a parry animation...there's no animation there's no white barrier it's just blocking then BOOM suddenly out of nowhere I'm parried...without any form of warning or anything but now's not the time to talk about that I guess.

I honestly don't think a stamina system would work, MAYBE a cooldown for dodging would be better, but then it'd be a pain unless they added a cooldown meter like what they have for specials.

With stamina, people would just save all their stamina for certain situations. Truth be told, you should only need a few dodges in battle...you'd dodge a few times then start attacking again and by the time he's dead or your combos done you have more dodges.

though, I still don't think a cooldown would help ares magic at all... that stuff is just pitiful.
Message 9 of 17 (127 Views)
First Son
12 posts

Jan 5, 2013

Grapple move is the solution  just get used to it

Message 10 of 17 (122 Views)
0 Likes